learn more

UK Bedroom Tax?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

"If you were a refugee you would get a room for each kid and fully furnished right down to cutlery"

Im well aware of that fact buddy!

And it sticks in my craw!
edit on 7-2-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Whats wrong with kids sharing a room up til the age of 10? They will be better people for it, they will bond in a better way.
Yeah you may get a few tantrums but I loved sharing a bedroom with my baby bro.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376

If you were a refugee you would get a room for each kid and fully furnished right down to cutlery.Oh and you would also get more to live on than a pensioner who has paid tax all their life.
There's something far wrong with that.

That is one thing I also despise. A year back there was a story in a news paper that told of a family of refugee Somalians, that got a 2 million pound house, paid for by tax payers. They were apparently given the house based solely because of the size of the family.

So they needed the space, granted. But the average taxpayer, will only ever dream of owning a similar property.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

"Whats wrong with kids sharing a room up til the age of 10?"

I would not say that there is anything particularly wrong with kids sharing a room. But in this day of age i think its rather draconian when you consider the fact that our parents were entitled to separate bedrooms for their children of different sexes.

"They will be better people for it, they will bond in a better way.
Yeah you may get a few tantrums but I loved sharing a bedroom with my baby bro."

Do you think it would have been the same experience with an older sister of seven years?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

You snob.

Hahahahaha! Maybe so, but I'd like my whole street to look nice, all of us with a mortgage take great pride in our gardens... I don't want to unsighly chickenwire fences on my street where the garden is an untouched dump behind it. Maybe instead of calling me a snob, call them slobs!?! They clearly got plenty of time on their hands, so not going out there and doing some weeding is being pure lazy, and not giving a damn about what the neighborhood looks like. As for making it prettier - what about getting some free planks of wood (yes you can!) for a fence, getting some free paint (yes you can!) and buying a packet of flower seeds, and spending a few days out there making it look nice?

Edit:Arent you an American immigrant?

Eh? No. Just beacuse I've lived in the US, you assume I'm American?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Under this new scheme they are expected to share a bedroom until the age of 10 if i'm not mistaken.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This brings up another issue. Granted children can share a room, mine do, but when they reach that age the family must move into a larger location. So if they have to move now, and a year or few later have to move again, and in some cases rinse and repeat, who pays for the move? I am assuming that the family does but moving is expensive. Not only that but time consuming that could cut into working hours. How is this dealt with?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Spot on. Well done for showing us the bigger picture!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by aspiechick

There are locations here in the U.S. that this issue is being addressed. Some locations have adopted what is called "Maintaining a Nuisance". What this is is the outside of your home and or business must be up-kept and acceptable for the neighborhood or location. If one fails to maintain their residence or business location they can be charged and fined. In fact, at least in parts of Maryland, this actually extends to the condition of your vehicle.
edit on 7-2-2013 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Maybe you could enlighten me as to where I can get this free paint,it would come in handy for my new flat as times are hard.
You also assume that council tenants have plenty time on their hands,is that because in your world all council tenants are unemployed?The council tenants I know tend to work really hard only for crap wages in a physically demanding job.
Maybe I was wrong about the immigrant thing but I was spot on about you being a snob.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

If its a council house i think they are obligated to paint the premises every 4 years, inside anyway. Things may have changed through.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Maybe you could enlighten me as to where I can get this free paint

freecyle.org and gumtree under freebies. Are you enlightened yet? And beds, furniture, clothes... I've even seen cars and boats up for free.

You also assume that council tenants have plenty time on their hands

Not assuming - I know perfectly well that the people living in the council houses on my street don't work. If one of them is able to carry home all her booze in plastic bags, she's capable of weeding her garden. If the other is capable of working on one of his "cars" (read: wrecks) outside his house all day long, he's capable of erecting a decent fence.

You sound like a very bitter person.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta

Under this new scheme they are expected to share a bedroom until the age of 10 if i'm not mistaken.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This brings up another issue. Granted children can share a room, mine do, but when they reach that age the family must move into a larger location. So if they have to move now, and a year or few later have to move again, and in some cases rinse and repeat, who pays for the move? I am assuming that the family does but moving is expensive. Not only that but time consuming that could cut into working hours. How is this dealt with?

I think the council would probably pay for these types of moves, especially as the tenants of social housing are trying to do what the council expects of them. And if they don't move then they face the bedroom tax, so the council can't expect them to do the right thing and get them to pay for it.
edit on 7-2-2013 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Not here mate.My flat came with every wall stripped back to the plaster board and even stone walls,they didnt even skim the stone walls with plaster.It even tells me in my tenancy agreement that they are not responsible for imperfections on walls.
My mother has had a council house for over thirty years and has never heard of this.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
As a British citizen I have heard about this yes, it's council homes that will be affected, but being on benefits isn't subject to that... If they have a spare room, you'll have to pay more council tax, as the space isn't being appropriately used or some bs, i'll try find a link for you guys on here,just give me a few hours
it's a load of crap tbh with you but yes OP it's disgraceful, don't you think?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Not here mate.My flat came with every wall stripped back to the plaster board and even stone walls,they didnt even skim the stone walls with plaster.It even tells me in my tenancy agreement that they are not responsible for imperfections on walls.
My mother has had a council house for over thirty years and has never heard of this.

It's just coming into affect

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

No I'm not bitter at all,just can't stand N.I.M.B.Y.s
You do see the irony of your question?(maybe not?)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
April is going be the start of a very hard existence for millions of people who live in this country.

This will only make things harder for allot of people as most people will be forced to pay the tax by having reduced housing benefits paid to the landlord and having to make up them payments by themselves out of their low wages or their unemployment benefits and even sick benefits. They are already going to drop benefits for council tax and housing benefit this is going to hit extra hard for some.

This will affect people who are sick, old, single parents and not just the lazy unemployed who live in bigger houses but real people who are trying hard to survive at this time in this country.

There is not enough housing in this country as it is. What's going to happen? are we going to see millions of people shuffled around into new homes that fit their needs? I don't think so in the least, people will surely end up taxed. The time it takes for them to be rehoused could cost them a fortune over the months of waiting.

A couple with one child living in a 3 bedroomed house who pays for their rented home out of their own hard earned income with the possibility of having a new baby baby in the future.Then out of nowhere the breadwinner is made redundant and has to go on benefits for a while until they get a new job.

The home they have had for a few years and have fond memories in now has to be taxed on the spare bedroom they have.
Do they leave their home to downsize or suffer the Tax. For the people who have low paid jobs and receive a small council tax benefit to help them pay for their home will also be taxed or made to move.

People will surely pay the tax rather then leave their homes for in most cases less desirable properties in other areas with the possibility of school catchment area issues. the list could go on and on. The amount of people that live in Council / Privet rented properties is huge in this country. This is only going to affect the the poor and low paid.

Do you think that if we did live in a country with very low unemployment and a low social dependency you would be taxed any less? I don't think so! they would still find ways to hammer your hard earned money out of your pockets in other forms of taxation. But it does seem the lower working classes and the poor are taking the full impact of these recent austerity measures the government has imposed, all the while the 5% tax drop for the super rich takes affect in April.

Huge fuel/energy prices, Food prices going up all over the place, water rates going up, no jobs, mass immigration.
I think we are going to see some reaction in the near future if this carry's on. Lets face it this country is a sham.

All the rich will be crapping in their pants one day when the amount of poor in this country just think what the hell have I got to loose and start going riot and robbing the rich. Crime will go up that's for sure.

edit on 7/2/13 by Ezappa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
There is also the argument that it wont save any money at all and could in the end cost the tax payer more

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Ezappa

You brought up some very good points that I will need to ponder a bit. Thanks for posting.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

People who rent privately and receive council benefit will be affect. They will be paid less council benefit as tax for the extra room/s.

I know someone who rents privet and receive's benefit and they have been told to find new accommodation as they will not pay the rent on the house at its current rate for just one person and one child in a 3 bedroom house.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join