It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genius

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt

I memorized all of the Dr. Suess books but you won't find me in the kitchen with a laying hen, a slaughtered pig and some food coloring...

You should have spent the time memorizing the math and science books instead.

Although there's nothing wrong with doggerel poetry, I suppose.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by rickymouse

(Serious for a moment)

I'd be interested in any studies that show a correlation between intelligence and electricity. As a developmental neurobiologist, I'm acutely aware of the endocrine systems affects but not anything concerning voltage.

I'm prety sure it will fail to correlate some time before say 1700 or so.

Aristotle, Plato, Confucious, the various unknown ancient architects and engineers who built aqueducts, pyramids, Great Walls of China and the like...., etc., etc.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Point taken.

Though there might be something said for naturally occurring phenomena.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

I memorized all of the Dr. Suess books but you won't find me in the kitchen with a laying hen, a slaughtered pig and some food coloring...

You should have spent the time memorizing the math and science books instead.

Although there's nothing wrong with doggerel poetry, I suppose.

Wow...You're higher and mightier, than I even thought!

Underestimate much?

The problem with your intellectual spike on the informational spectrum, is that you are founded in the science of now. And, while you appear to have a decent grasp of current physics, you can't seem to explore possibilities or entertain the ideas of others without tossing down knowledge from your esteemed stallion, to us peons, below...

Whereas I, prefer to disconnect, rather than stay grounded to the realm of now. This allows my thoughts to flow more freely, without the resistance ensured, by the circuitous knowledge of those who feign to be superior.

So, lighten up. Tone it down. Step back and allow the big picture to filter through. Attenuate the background noise, and increase the amplitude of positivity.

You might just find yourself drawn to the exact opposite of what you are...

(All puns intended)

edit on 2/7/2013 by GoOfYFoOt because: spelling

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Point taken.

Like everybody is close to lightning at some time in their life??

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Point taken.

Is that how you lost your feathers?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Is that how you lost your feathers?

It is a frango.....(look it up and think about it for a bit
)

the lightning ones are all black.....
edit on 7-2-2013 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Point taken.

Or metal hats. If you had helmets of dissimilar metals, then if you get sweaty enough, you'll have a voltage difference. If you had a nice metal hat made of a number of layers of silver and copper, you might get up enough voltage to turn the trick.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I have had a dream of sentient lightning and that finally strikes me I am fascinated by it! And if I am stuck some day I hope not to die!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Whereas I, prefer to disconnect, rather than stay grounded to the realm of now. This allows my thoughts to flow more freely, without the resistance ensured, by the circuitous knowledge of those who feign to be superior.

So you're saying I should charge into some electrifying meditation?

The thought of sitting around saying "Ohm...ohm" in order to spark the imagination leaves me in a twistor.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Stop it! You're making me hungry for yard bird! (Sorry...I wouldn't eat you, though)

Anywho....I truly like this thread. Lots of information for me to go back and read up on...

I have always been facinated with electricity. I remember as far back as 7th grade. When I got into an argument with my school teacher about how a loud speaker worked...As it turned out, I was right, and he was wrong, and when he couldn't answer my questions, I got sent to the principal's office for interrupting the class...

That's when I knew..."Smart" people can be pretty dumb, sometimes...

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

So you're saying I should charge into some electrifying meditation?

The thought of sitting around saying "Ohm...ohm" in order to spark the imagination leaves me in a twistor.

ABSOLUTELY!

The power displayed by discharging yourself from your inert and stored state, can be quite...well....electrifying!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Actually, I'm just trying to get you charged up...I know, from your posts, that you have a lot of potential energy stored...If you were to release it, given the right medium, I think it would illuminate the world for some time...

All in good fun, though....For what is knowledge worth, if it's not used to enhance our lives?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I would just like to post an apology to the OP. I started posting in this thread with something silly and frivolous.

But because of this thread, it got me thinking.

And that is a rare and laudable thing.

Sorry.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I guess I am not the first to think of this. I don't know if they used the correlation I did though. www.livescience.com...

theweek.com...
edit on 7-2-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Well,,,,,,,Check into the folks who have received shock treatments, people struck by lightning who are
still alive, people who have been electrocuted (linemen,etc)still living, not to mention the Great Teslas odd behavior
in the last years of his life. So, I don't believe there is a correlation between high voltage and intelligence. In general
High Voltage can be detrimental to health.
Interesting "out of the box idea" you have, yet Frequency may play more of a role than voltage.

Let us know if your IQ increases after you stick your tongue on that 9000 volt battery.

S&F

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teye22

This balances the energy in and around our body and could explain the fuzy feeling you would get. And helps clear the mind of our daily worries, thoughts, etc.

It can be done anywhere but best results in my experience is definitely outdoors.

Does it make one more intelligent, I couldn't say. But it is an interesting theory. Although I would not consider this energy as electricity or high voltage in any way.

I was thinking something similar. Crystals are known for their piezoelectric effect, so perhaps small amounts of electricity is beneficial for the brain. We're talking extremely small voltages.

The brain actually sends signals electrically. Well chemical-electric, but you could argue mostly electrical.

That said, there's something the OP is overlooking. All the people mentioned we're geniuses BEFORE they worked with electricity.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
interesting concept, electrical charge helps brain functions! didn't they pull this crap in insane asylums with patients? The real concept would be the ability to make one electrical charge split off to every synapse in the brain instead of following along a predetermined path branching out to every synapse in the brain. This would create amazing neural pathways that allow people to use every bit of the brain for the processing of information " Not sure if that's a good thing considering the brain regulates body functions" but the concept of applying information to every part of brain is interesting.

But seriously I don't know a lot about this stuff so its a pipe dream that isn't grounded in any scientific fact because I'm not a neural surgeon. I was just thinking about the concept of synapse having a path to each and every other synapse and or an electrical signal that was able to split off into multiple signals

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by Teye22

This balances the energy in and around our body and could explain the fuzy feeling you would get. And helps clear the mind of our daily worries, thoughts, etc.

It can be done anywhere but best results in my experience is definitely outdoors.

Does it make one more intelligent, I couldn't say. But it is an interesting theory. Although I would not consider this energy as electricity or high voltage in any way.

I was thinking something similar. Crystals are known for their piezoelectric effect, so perhaps small amounts of electricity is beneficial for the brain. We're talking extremely small voltages.

The brain actually sends signals electrically. Well chemical-electric, but you could argue mostly electrical.

That said, there's something the OP is overlooking. All the people mentioned we're geniuses BEFORE they worked with electricity.

I'm not overlooking anything. I know these people were smart, they were working with this kind of stuff before the electricity was there. But did it make them even smarter is the question. I provided a few links where studies were made on this kind of stuff. They were single studies and no repetitive studies were done that I know of. I found these after I had wrote the thread. I didn't realize there was evidence out there.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I wonder if a study involving magnets would garner a similar result? If they were the right polarity you would think they would encourage synaptic growth and strengthen nueron reception...Or, perahps a combination of magnetic therapy with low levels of induction?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join