A solar 'superstorm' is coming and we'll only get 30-minute warning

page: 6
22
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

log in

join

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee
 


You should make an effort to visit Spaceweather.com at least once a day.
They have the big picture there.
That's all they do all day long.


It looks like another glancing blow.
Seek The Truth




posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragnik
And this? www.npr.org... -to-buzz-earth-next-week
edit on 2/8/2013 by dragnik because: change


On Galileo's Birthday!~

Galileo Galilei (born on February 15, 1564) was an Italian scientist who supported Copernicanism, the idea that Earth orbits the sun. Galileo defended his views in Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems. For doing so, he was tried by the Roman Inquisition, was found "suspect of heresy" and spent the rest of his life under house arrest. His findings changed our world view for all time.

www.biography.com...

It may play pool with all the space debris up there, I have to wonder!



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TauCetixeta

Originally posted by dragnik
And this? www.npr.org... -to-buzz-earth-next-week
edit on 2/8/2013 by dragnik because: change


DA14 is too small and would burn up in the atmosphere. Plus it will be too far away.

The doom and gloomers will need to head back to the drawing board.
Better luck next time.


The one that hit Tunguska was about 300 ft. It is passing where the earths gravitation holds satellites in orbit, seems to me that should effect it.

Still no need for gloom and dooming. If it hit it would like be the ocean and the effect fairly small i would think...anyhow all this is off topic unless it can cause a CME also.



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by IronVelvet
 


A solar flare can produce an E1 type pulse (if the conditions are just right), but it is extremely rare.
Really? Can you explain how? What conditions?


Potentially even killing people on the nearest side to the sun.
Any evidence of that ever occurring?



BUT if we were to be hit by lets say an x28, ALL OF YOUR ELECTRONICS WOULD BE USELESS. BURNT CHIPS!

We were "hit" by an X28 flare. In 2003. The strongest ever recorded. The thing is, solar flares have little if any effect on Earth's surface because the electromagnetic radiation is very effectively absorbed by the atmosphere. It's CMEs which cause problems. But those problems are restricted to things like power grids and pipelines because of the currents induced in long conductors. Before we had such things the only thing people would have noticed would have been very dramatic auroral displays.
www.spaceweather.com...

edit on 2/8/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

But in February, the North American Electric Reliability Corporation, which represents the power industry, issued a stunning report asserting that a worst-case geomagnetic “super storm” like the 1859 Carrington Event likely wouldn’t damage most power grid transformers. Instead, it would cause voltage instability and possibly result in blackouts lasting only a few hours or days, but not months and years.

NERC’s assertion, however, is at serious variance with the 2008 congressional EMP Commission, the 2008 National Academy of Sciences report; a 2010 Federal Energy Regulatory Commission report; the 2012 report by the Defense Committee of the British Parliament, and others. Even the British scientists who contributed to the parliament report came to their own independent assessment that a great geomagnetic storm would cause widespread damage to power grid transformers and result in a protracted blackout lasting months, or even years, with catastrophic consequences for society.


Months or years without power would be chaos in our day.
edit on 8-2-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

Originally posted by IronVelvet


I believe they mean 30 minutes from the time it erupts from the sun to the time it hits earth. The distance from earth to the sun is almost 93 million miles. At a million miles per hour thats 93 minutes. They can travel over a million miles per hour. So yes it could be 30 minutes from the time it erupts to the time it hits. They are trying to be dramatic (to get your attention).


NO... Miles per hour.. Not Miles per minute... They do teach math in school still yea? So do tell me where the minutes are coming from when the units are in hours.

you are off by a factor of 60...

I already did that math for you.. It's 93 hours.. I also did the math for the fastest EVER detected which puts it at around 12.9 hours... That one was going 7.2 Million miles per hour..

Unless the CME is going 186 MILLION miles per hour it won't get here in 30 minutes... CME's don't go that fast by the way.. Being that it's 26 times faster than the fastest ever seen..

Check out some of my posts in the thread..


The entire article is really stupid.
edit on 2/8/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)


That's what happens when you take a Vicodin for a migraine and post on here. lol Total brain slip



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by IronVelvet
 


A solar flare can produce an E1 type pulse (if the conditions are just right), but it is extremely rare.
Really? Can you explain how? What conditions?


Potentially even killing people on the nearest side to the sun.
Any evidence of that ever occurring?



BUT if we were to be hit by lets say an x28, ALL OF YOUR ELECTRONICS WOULD BE USELESS. BURNT CHIPS!

We were "hit" by an X28 flare. In 2003. The strongest ever recorded. The thing is, solar flares have little if any effect on Earth's surface because the electromagnetic radiation is very effectively absorbed by the atmosphere. It's CMEs which cause problems. But those problems are restricted to things like power grids and pipelines because of the currents induced in long conductors. Before we had such things the only thing people would have noticed would have been very dramatic auroral displays.
www.spaceweather.com...

edit on 2/8/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)


Humans have a limited knowledge of the sun, including CME's. I do not know the exact conditions but I do know it is possible given the photon belt we have been in for a while now. Which is most likely causing the solar maxima in hot spot and CME activity. I dont need evidence that the sun can kill people with a solar flare. IT IS A GIANT REVOLVING MIX OF PLASMA AND GAS. THAT SPOUTS FIRE.

WE WERE NOT HIT BY AN x28 IN 2003. I REPEAT IT DID NOT HIT US. IT DID HAPPEN BUT IT DID NOT HIT THE EARTH. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. Most if not all of the large CME's that have been produced by the sun have been either directed away or glancing blows to earths magnetosphere.


edit on 8-2-2013 by IronVelvet because: (no reason given)
edit on 8-2-2013 by IronVelvet because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by IronVelvet
 


Wow X45...


A few days later, the largest solar flare ever measured with instruments occurred on November 4, 2003; initially measured at X28, it was later upgraded to an X45-class.


en.wikipedia.org...



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by IronVelvet
 


IT IS A GIANT REVOLVING MIX OF PLASMA AND GAS. THAT SPOUTS FIRE.
No. It is a ball of plasma, too hot for gas. It is also 93 million miles away.



I do know it is possible given the photon belt we have been in for a while now.
What is this "photon belt"? Surely you're not referring to this bit of nonsense:
en.wikipedia.org...



WE WERE NOT HIT BY AN x28 IN 2003. I REPEAT IT DID NOT HIT US. IT DID HAPPEN BUT IT DID NOT HIT THE EARTH. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.
No need to shout but perhaps you are the one who should get their facts straight. The flare was detected by the SOHO satellite which orbits directly between the Sun and the Earth. Therefore, the Earth was hit by the flare just as the satellite was. But perhaps you are confused over the difference between solar flares and CMEs. While they are often associated with each other they are not the same thing.

Solar flares are classified according to the level of electromagnetic radiation which is emitted (x-rays, specifically), an X28 is a very powerful flare. A solar flare arrives at the speed of light, about eight minutes after it occurs. CMEs don't really have a classification system and take anywhere from 15 hours or so to 4 days to arrive (if they do), depending on their velocity.

So, are you saying that a CME can cause an E1 pulse? Again, please explain how.
edit on 2/8/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee
 



Taking a different route, researchers from the University of Otago used radio wave-based measurements of the x-rays' effects on the Earth's upper atmosphere to revise the flare's size from a merely huge X28 to a "whopping" X45, say researchers Neil Thomson, Craig Rodger, and Richard Dowden.

www.spaceref.com...

So the Earth was indeed hit by the flare. We only received a glancing blow from the CME which was associated with it though. But that period was very active and we did experience several strong geomagnetic storms. Including a direct hit by a CME associated with an X17 flare.
www.swpc.noaa.gov...


edit on 2/8/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by IronVelvet
 


I love the way noobs come onto this site, argue with Phage and lose.

The sun is amazing and very hot!



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This was front and center for the Science section news today:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

It also has a picture report detailing impacts of space weather from Bell Laboratories



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by IronVelvet
 


I do know it is possible given the photon belt we have been in for a while now.
What is this "photon belt"? Surely you're not referring to this bit of nonsense:
en.wikipedia.org...



WE WERE NOT HIT BY AN x28 IN 2003. I REPEAT IT DID NOT HIT US. IT DID HAPPEN BUT IT DID NOT HIT THE EARTH. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.
No need to shout but perhaps you are the one who should get their facts straight. The flare was detected by the SOHO satellite which orbits directly between the Sun and the Earth. Therefore, the Earth was hit by the flare. But perhaps you are confused over the difference between solar flares and CMEs. While they are often associated with each other they are not the same thing.

Solar flares are classified according to the level of electromagnetic radiation which is emitted (x-rays, specifically), an X28 is a very powerful flare. A solar flare arrives at the speed of light, about eight minutes after it occurs. CMEs don't really have a classification system and take anywhere from 15 hours or so to 4 days to arrive (if they do), depending on their velocity.

So, are you saying that a CME can cause an E1 pulse? Again, please explain how.

edit on 2/8/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)


Just because the Wiki page has a bunch of bogus on it about the "new age movement" doesn't mean we aren't actually moving through a different part of the universe that contains a photon belt. This photon belt is causing ALL electrons within it to vibrate at a higher frequency, which I believe is the primary reason our sun has been so active lately.

I just can't get a single thing through that thick little head of yours can i? IT was a glancing blow, barely hit SOHO. There is a huge difference between a direct hit of a Solar flare on earth and a glancing blow of SOHO. The relationship between CME's and Solar flare's have not been totally identified. CME's are primarily magnetic. It is possible for a solar flare to emit an E1 type Pulse. It is CME's which cause geomagnetic storms, while solar flares will cause the most damage to electrical components. A direct hit of a large once in a million year solar flare will destroy electronic devices on earth, and possible even death of some individuals. A direct hit or possibly even glancing blow of a CME will cause a geomagnetic storm that will have more of an effect on long power lines and pipelines. It is a CME which causes the aurora borealis, solar flares effects are largely unnoticeable unless your iphone fries in your hand while your holding it. If we were hit directly by a large solar flare, we will almost certainly be hit by the CME associated with that flare.



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DreamingMinds
This was front and center for the Science section news today:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

It also has a picture report detailing impacts of space weather from Bell Laboratories


Interesting the "pipeline corrosion' one I never thought about or heard about before.



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by IronVelvet
 


Just because the Wiki page has a bunch of bogus on it about the "new age movement" doesn't mean we aren't actually moving through a different part of the universe that contains a photon belt.
Do you know what photons are? Can you explain how they can form a "belt"?



which I believe is the primary reason our sun has been so active lately.
Um. The Sun is actually quite calm. Calmer than it has been in more than 100 years. Though it is following its 11 year cycle, the cycle is very mild as far as activity goes.
solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov...


I just can't get a single thing through that thick little head of yours can i?
Still don't understand what a solar flare is, huh? It is a burst of electromagnetic radiation. It is not directional. The Earth is hit by a flare which occurs anywhere on the side of the Sun which is facing Earth. The flare hit the SOHO satellite directly. The flare hit Earth directly. As shown above the effects on the upper atmosphere were actually that of an X45 flare. No EMP. No electronics fried. No people fried.

Solar flares do not affect electronics on Earth's surface. A solar flare will not hurt your iPhone (or you).
Geomagnetic storms do not affect electronics (unless they are plugged into an unstable electric grid).

edit on 2/8/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by IronVelvet
 


IT IS A GIANT REVOLVING MIX OF PLASMA AND GAS. THAT SPOUTS FIRE.
No. It is a ball of plasma, too hot for gas. It is also 93 million miles away.

Those big ole' bubbles that are produced on the surface of the sun is gas rising to the surface.



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by IronVelvet
 

What bubbles? You mean the convection cells?
No, that's plasma too.



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by IronVelvet
 


Just because the Wiki page has a bunch of bogus on it about the "new age movement" doesn't mean we aren't actually moving through a different part of the universe that contains a photon belt.
Do you know what photons are? Can you explain how they can form a "belt"?



which I believe is the primary reason our sun has been so active lately.
Um. The Sun is actually quite calm. Calmer than it has been in more than 100 years. Though it is following its 11 year cycle, the cycle is very mild as far as activity goes.
solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov...


I just can't get a single thing through that thick little head of yours can i?
Still don't understand what a solar flare is, huh? It is a burst of electromagnetic radiation. It is not directional. The Earth is hit by a flare which occurs anywhere on the side of the Sun which is facing Earth. The flare hit the SOHO satellite directly. The flare hit Earth directly. As shown above the effects on the upper atmosphere were actually that of an X45 flare. No EMP. No electronics fried. No people fried.

Solar flares do not affect electronics on Earth's surface. A solar flare will not hurt your iPhone (or you).
Geomagnetic storms do not affect electronics (unless they are plugged into an unstable electric grid).

edit on 2/8/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)


Since you dont even know how the sun produces gas, I dont feel a need to reply back to you anymore. If you cant even understand that then you are simply incapable of understanding how Solar flares and photon belts work.



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by IronVelvet
 




I dont feel a need to reply back to you anymore.

Ok.
But you said that before.



posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage
 





you can produce a greater induced current in your iphone than that of a geomagnetic storm by waving a magnet over it.


Muhahaha how many people now have a defect Android or IPhone after following your example...





new topics
top topics
 
22
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

log in

join