Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

A solar 'superstorm' is coming and we'll only get 30-minute warning

page: 3
22
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad
 


Again, the report is referring to 'extreme space weather', not regular everyday space weather.

From the report:


Superimposed on this climatology are weather-like variations; on some days space weather is more severe than on others. Minor solar storms are relatively common events; in contrast, extremely large events (superstorms) occur very occasionally – perhaps once every century or two.


This is the circumstance that they are referring to.




posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by SpearMint
 


Wouldn't a microwave do? honest question I have an old microwave and I thought of putting my backup hardrive etc in it just in case.


Put your phone in the microwave. Call your phone if it rings it is not shielded enough, if it doesn't it might be. But then you had better hope your home has a good ground to because it will be a static discharge that will break it.

Most electronics won't matter anyway because of all the Grids that would be down. Power, Telecommunications and radio will be useless.

A kindle filled with survival books and a wind up radio wrapped in anti-static bags is what I have for this scenario. That and regular old books...



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glassbender777
Unplugging is NOT going to help, The electrical current is essentially everywhere during a CME so the current is going to jump from circuit to circuit destroying all electrical devices, thats why even a Car while turned Off is still going to be useless, even while being grounded rather good, because the electrical current is travelling throughout earth and the atmosphere. The only way to beat it, is to have a faraday cage, or something that breaks the current, you are essentially creating your own earth.


When the Carrington Event occurred the telegraph wires still worked.
They didn't need batteries to operate.

Faraday Cage solution: wrap your car with heavy gauge aluminium foil before the
direct hit.


Also, i think if a high voltage transformer ( 230 KV) is turned off and cold then it will not
be destroyed. Just wait 3 days and turn it back on.



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian
 


No unplugging it is not enough, the EMP generates a charge in any conducters it comes in contact with, it is a power source and is not dependant on power generation to ruin electronics. Just like a radio wave generates a tiny charge at a specific frequency in a conducter like a wire antenna, the EMP will do so across the frequency band and at a huge anount of energy. Research the effects of an EMP, study up on basic electronics, or click the link I am provideng for some basic information. The charge induced by the EMP would travel downward from the atmosphere and anything that can serve as a conducter would be affected, power lines, cell towers, cell phones, pieces of metal, you name it. A surge protector would not close the circuit fast enough in most cases to save the electronics, which usually run on millivolts. They would be hit with massive amounts of electricity and be fried, All modern cars would be useless, older cars with points type ignition systems would be useable once the points are replaced.
www.onesecondafter.com...



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
reply to post by Dustytoad
 


Again, the report is referring to 'extreme space weather', not regular everyday space weather.

From the report:


Superimposed on this climatology are weather-like variations; on some days space weather is more severe than on others. Minor solar storms are relatively common events; in contrast, extremely large events (superstorms) occur very occasionally – perhaps once every century or two.


This is the circumstance that they are referring to.


No I understand that...

You don't...

STEREO Captures Fastest Coronal Mass Ejection To Date


NASA’s STEREO spacecraft has observed the fastest coronal mass ejection (CME) ever seen on the Sun.

The Solar TErrestrial RElations Observatory (STEREO) clocked the massive eruption traveling between 1,800 and 2,000 miles per second as it ejected from the sun.

NASA said this was the fastest CME ever observed by STEREO, which launched back in 2006.

“Between 1,800 and 2,200 miles per second puts it without question as one of the top five CMEs ever measured by any spacecraft,” solar scientist Alex Young at Goddard said in a prepared statement. “And if it’s at the top of that velocity range it’s probably the fastest.”



The FASTEST ever recorded takes 12.9 hours to get here..

93,000,000 miles / 2,000 miles per sec / 3600 to convert to hours = about 13 hours

You are falling for the hype, not the actual science..

How do you expect solid mass to travel near the speed of light?? Don't you get it?
edit on 2/7/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad
 


Here is from the article that a lot of people are confused about which is intentional..



It is inevitable that an extreme solar storm – caused by the Sun ejecting billions of tonnes of highly-energetic matter travelling at a million miles an hour – will hit the Earth at some time in the near future, but it is impossible to predict more than about 30 minutes before it actually happens, a team of engineers has warned.


93 million miles to the sun divided by a million miles per hour speed towards earth leaves us with 93 hours travel time...
That's almost 4 days to get here..
Math is our friend.

The 30 minutes figure could only refer to either
A) determining the exact power before impact
B) detecting a CME before it launches.


Scary the level of sourcing they do in that horrid article.. Indeed.
edit on 2/7/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I have a question:

Is it possible that the US Gov/TPTB could already know via calculations/observations/other etc that a SS is going to hit earth in the next 60 or so days?

Why I ask is not important.



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by RP2SticksOfDynamite

I have a question:

Is it possible that the US Gov/TPTB could already know via calculations/observations/other etc that a SS is going to hit earth in the next 60 or so days?

Why I ask is not important.


Unless they are looking into the future I don't see how they could know..

Why do you ask?



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
You people have got to be kidding me. Putting your electronics in the microwave WILL NOT WORK. Unplugging your electronics WILL NOT SAVE THEM. Your electronics are completely defenseless unless you want to go build a lead lined shelter or go dig yourself a hole under some granite or bedrock. Even a lead lined shelter could fail due to the fact that it only reduces the gamma radiation that gets in, you may need a foot or so if you really want it to work.



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Do you think it has anything to do with this : theeconomiccollapseblog.com...

There is buzz there is a major event on the horizon since there are huge bets into the multi millions that the stock market will crash in the next 60 days.

Solar event? Astroid issues? Attack of some sort? Earthquake/Tsunami/Volcanic eruption? War? Someone must have some kind of information of something possibly looming that will cause an economic collapse in the next 60 days.

Interesting puzzle...

edit on 7-2-2013 by DreamingMinds because: (no reason given)
edit on 7-2-2013 by DreamingMinds because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by IronVelvet
 


Simply unplugging your electrical goods WILL be sufficient during a large geomagnetic storm. And that's only to protect from power surges.



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by borracho
reply to post by Flavian
 


No unplugging it is not enough, the EMP generates a charge in any conducters it comes in contact with, it is a power source and is not dependant on power generation to ruin electronics. Just like a radio wave generates a tiny charge at a specific frequency in a conducter like a wire antenna, the EMP will do so across the frequency band and at a huge anount of energy. Research the effects of an EMP, study up on basic electronics, or click the link I am provideng for some basic information. The charge induced by the EMP would travel downward from the atmosphere and anything that can serve as a conducter would be affected, power lines, cell towers, cell phones, pieces of metal, you name it. A surge protector would not close the circuit fast enough in most cases to save the electronics, which usually run on millivolts. They would be hit with massive amounts of electricity and be fried, All modern cars would be useless, older cars with points type ignition systems would be useable once the points are replaced.
www.onesecondafter.com...


It isn't an EMP you CaC



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Ok, I may be wrong but the whole "30 minutes" argument relates to determining geoeffectiveness...Which can ony be determined once it hits the probe ACE.


Currently, the only way to determine the direction of the magnetic field inside a CME is from data collected by an ageing NASA probe called ACE. Launched in 1997, ACE is located at the first Lagrangian point – a point in space along the line between the Earth and the Sun where the gravitational pulls balance. Spacecraft can stay at this point for many years using little fuel, but its short distance from Earth means that ACE can only give 30-60 minutes warning of what’s heading our way.


Link to source

So yeah, we can know the Sun has ejected matter, what we can't determine with a lot of warning is whether its going to be a significant direct hit.

Oh by the way last I heard, the National Grid in the Uk's cunning plan to avoid repercussions, was to turn on the entire grid, the theory being that dispersal over the entire grid would lessen/counteract any impact.

Does anyone know if this is still their plan?

I can see the logic, but have no idea how effective it would be.
edit on 7-2-2013 by solargeddon because: typo



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by IronVelvet
 


Simply unplugging your electrical goods WILL be sufficient during a large geomagnetic storm. And that's only to protect from power surges.


It depends on your idea of LARGE. A Carrington like incident will most likely melt the microchips in your electronics. Any conductive material will cause the pulse to travel creating an electrical shock to anything and everything that touches it. Our sun is capable of creating geomagnetic storms FAR LARGER than that of the Carrington incident. Who cares if you are protecting from power surges if your chips are burnt to a crisp.



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon
 


Does anyone know if this is still their plan?

I see no logic. There is no "dispersal" of the currents induced by a geomagnetic storm. The currents are caused by magnetic fluctuations acting on long conductors (like power lines). "Turning on" the entire grid would do nothing to lessen the damage caused to transformers. In fact the opposite is true, transformers which are online when exposed to the out of phase currents burn out.



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by IronVelvet
 


It depends on your idea of LARGE. A Carrington like incident will most likely melt the microchips in your electronics. Any conductive material will cause the pulse to travel creating an electrical shock to anything and everything that touches it.

What pulse are you talking about? A geomagnetic storm is not an EMP. Electronics are not affected by the fluctuations in the Earth's magnetic field but long conductors (like power lines) are. The problem is induced currents over long distances.



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage
 


Well its certainly what I would have thought too, however they likend it to flood gates at the time when I heard about their proposal, which is why I saw the logic...But I agree I don't think it is too sensible.

Regardless, this is the plan they had intended at the time I saw the Horizon episode...Please feel free to look it up, you might understand better than I what they had in mind.

I'm kind of hoping they have re-thought this now, which is why I ask if anyone knows what their current thinking is.



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Wow my first double post...Sorry
edit on 7-2-2013 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74
 


Good idea!
Another thing that would deflect some of the stuff is aluminum foil. On the floor too! Because when the solar storm passes, it first penetrates all the Earth until its gets absorbed in the plasma core. From there a rebound wells up with positively charged particles. This is the stuff you can feel in your daily life.
You might wanna have negative ion dischargers (new age boxes), lots of house plants and circuit breakers. And if there is electricity, and you have tone generator, play the Schumann infra wave, simple as it sounds. Metal hats come in handy! Someone should observe a compass - how wildly it is reacting to discharged radiation.... Do you all have one? Even electric clocks may change.



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by IronVelvet
 


It depends on your idea of LARGE. A Carrington like incident will most likely melt the microchips in your electronics. Any conductive material will cause the pulse to travel creating an electrical shock to anything and everything that touches it.

What pulse are you talking about? A geomagnetic storm is not an EMP. Electronics are not affected by the fluctuations in the Earth's magnetic field but long conductors (like power lines) are. The problem is induced currents over long distances.


A geomagnetic storm produced by the sun does not maintain a constant electro-magnetic field. It builds over time and varies as well. It does not remain constant. The geomagnetic storm will always reach a HIGH POINT where the number and energy of electrons is at its greatest vibration/ electrical frequency. The high point is what I mean by pulse. It is possible to maintain that high point but not likely. That high point is what fries electronics. Electronics have wires in them, wires are affected by the magnetic field, it is simply that long power lines are MORE LIKELY to be affected by the fluctuations in the Earth's magnetic field.





new topics

top topics



 
22
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join