It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Ahhh, things are looking up!

page: 1

log in


posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:28 AM
I've decided to write this thread, because well I have something good to talk about. No, attempts to quell doom and gloom, point out complete fakes, or sensationalism, nope. Hijinx has something exciting(for me) to talk about today.

I received an interview for Friday at 3pm. Nothing amazing, a local Shop/warehouse, but I've been off work since last June. In January of last year I started having health problems, I was put on all sorts of medications for each of the " ailments," and things were sort of working but my health kept deteriorating. By Early June, my kidneys hurt, my neck and shoulders hurt, the glands in my neck and throat were swollen, I had a sore throat, pains in my chest, digestive problems, complete physical and mental exhaustion. I shook like a leaf in the breeze from the moment I woke up, to the moment I went to bed. My hands and feet were always cold, my knees wobbled when I walked. I was in a world of hurt. After weeks of lab time, dozens of potential terrifying causes thrown my way and some pretty invasive testing it was found, the medications I was prescribed might be the culprit.

2 of the medications were for PTSD, I don't know if I can name them on here with the T&C, but they are fairly common, treating anxiety/depression related with PTSD. I was on a third medication to help me sleep as well. So Seeing my doctor was a trial all it's own. He had no interest in addressing the medications I was on, one of which ran me $80 a month, the other $14, the other $20 a month. After being tested for liver disease, diabetes, thyroid problems, cancer, kidney failure, adrenal problems(can't remember medical term), Grays, parkinsons, palsy, hepatitis, meningitis, mono, and a whole plethora of different medical issues that scared the effing crap out of me. I decided to go see a different doctor. I told him the medications I was on, about my PTSD, my job, what I did there, the conditions. He came to the conclusion what I was experiencing was over exertion, stress, effects from my PTSD, as well as serious negative reactions as well as interactions I was experiencing due to the meds I was on. Basically, one of the medications could have cost me my life, as well in the state I was in my work was only making some of the aspects worse. WELL, this wasn't found out until after I had lost my job.

I was a good employee, well liked, never missed work, always took OT, filled in when people were sick, accepted extra work loads when we were behind. How ever, I was absent for 2 months. I had the support of the supervisors and management how ever human resources wasn't pleased. I lost my job, because of a loophole. In our contract if an employee misses a certain number of days with out just cause it is considered job abandonment and it's a forced quit. Turns out our HR rep, found a section stating Dr's notes have to be issued on the day of absence. In other words, I had to have a DR's note for every single day I was absent issued on each day I was absent. Now I don't know about you all, but notes where I live cost $10 a piece. So for me, I would see the Dr, he would right a note on such a such day for a couple weeks at a time. This unknown to me, was not part of company policy putting me in the position of a forced forfeit of my position. Sick, out of work, "quit" my job. So on that part of it, I was not eligible for Employment insurance. Now that, that part is explained let's move on.

Given what I earned where I work, I was not covered for my medical expenses. I had lost my coverage with my job, and coming off of the dangerous meds came with a withdraw process which exacerbated the already existing illness I was suffering. Leading to my collapse on my stairs and a week long stay in the hospital. Needless to say, my savings were gone, and I have some medical bills to pay off now on top of that. Total recovery time took until October, before my strength and sanity came back. I had to see a counselor to work through my PTSD, with out medication( woot doing great with this mind you.) I feel amazing as far as health goes at this time. I'm strong, Healthy, happy, but until now was unemployed. Forced to leave my apartment to live with my parents. A grown man, and his fiancee living in his parents house, with no job is pretty trying on your mind. My fiancee only get's so many hours at her job, and I being the primary income with no job is pretty #ty to say the least.

I've been hunting for work since Early November, with not a god damned call or interview. I was seriously considering swallowing my pride and looking into restaurant work. I had planned to go to school for aircraft mechanics but can not with the medical bills at my heels. No chance of a loan, when you owe money to someone as is. I was really starting to think I was hooped, doomed to work in a kitchen with a bunch of teenagers for less than my keep. UNTIL TODAY!!! I got a freaking interview at a shop, I'm beyond excited. Even if I don't get the job, it's a sign of good faith. Keep your head up and be persistent and it will come. I have to say it's been extremely hard over the holidays hunting for work with no leads, and NOW ! Ahhhh, it's just nice to have some reassurance that I'm not a worn out forgotten member of society. If this pulls through, I should be able to pay off what remains on my bills in a few months. Get my truck back on the road, and look into a loan for the Aircraft Mechanic program I've been drooling over.

My life has taken a drastic change for the better, and I couldn't be more excited. For those of you like me out there, looking for work in this # economy don't give up. Never lose your hope, no one can take your pride. It is hard, really hard I know this, but there is always light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how dim it may be. You just have to keep your head up and keep marching forwards. I've truly learned something here too. You can't rely on anyone but yourself and your family. Companies don't give two god damn #s about you, and the longer you are with them the more reason they may have to get rid of you when the opportunity presents. I was a model employee, and as soon as I fell ill they cut all strings and dumped me for dead. You have to look out for yourself, I really wish I was in a position to get into this program with out a loan, because I don't need it hanging over my head(god forbid something else happens), but it's my only option to get into a better position than I'm at. Drastic change, needs drastic measures and a job like that could put me in a position where something like this wouldn't be as likely. I'm all over the place here, it's early just having my coffee as I write this still ecstatic over the interview. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Woot, sorry had to have a some what positive rant!!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:36 AM
Congratulations! Have fun at your new job!

I can tell by the way you write that you're an intelligent, well-spoken individual. I'm thrilled to see someone with a good head on their shoulders moving in the right direction. Positivity finds a way to make things happen. Stay positive!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:42 AM
reply to post by DaTroof

Thank you very much, I'm literally buzzing. I feel like a kid on Christmas, I went to bed last night thinking about this, dreamed about the interview, kept running different scenarios through my head. Thinking about how great it will be, to finally give back to my family again.

At the very least it gives me an opportunity to get my face out there. I'm more than qualified for this job, my resume is good and it wouldn't take much face to face to make a lasting impression.

Thank you very much for the kind words and support. Fingers crossed, hope and pride restored. It's not me, it's the market right now. Ha ha.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:23 PM
So I'm 99% confident I got the job, and here is why.

After completing the survey given to me by email after applying, and the 20 minute phone interview the other day I was brought in for the face to face interview. I was interviewed by not one, but 3 separate individuals from various departments with in the shop. This already tells me I have impressed them, either with my resume or from the two previous interview portions. It felt like they were on the edge of their seat, they enjoyed my personality and hung onto my every word. My past experiences at various employers, my life experiences and accomplishments. I was asked a total of 25 of the interview questions when they were only mandated to ask 5. Pens were scribbling down points, from every single question I answered heads bobbing like a novelty bobble head. Smiles, relating their own experiences as well as practices with in the company to the answers I gave.

Various people from various departments were brought in to meet me and introduced to me all smiles. The interview took a total time of about an hour. I began to fill out the paper work for back checks, submitted my ID, and information. All the while being chatted up by potential co-workers. All smiles, and laughs a few guys related having worked in the glass shop I worked before hand, it was fantastic. I felt very welcomed, well liked and seemed to fit in with the general feel of the shop. I'm glowing, and hoping this all turns out great. My references are some of the best I could have, great guys having witnessed my determination, and dedication to my work. Yes guys, I really think things are starting to look up for me. I said I would update you, and will do so when I get that call.. Ahhhh yes that call, the young woman who took in my paper work said it could come as soon as Monday, and she looks forward to seeing me around. Woot effing woot. It's about damn time I say. I'm itching to put my skills to work.

top topics

log in