Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

First Bionic Eye Sees Light of Day in US

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

I have a HUGE eye phobia, so it is with some trepidation that I bring you the following article. Frankly, it creeps me out. But still, its pretty awesome when you think about it.

From Discovery News:

After years of research, the first bionic eye has seen the light of day in the United States, giving hope to the blind around the world. Developed by Second Sight Medical Products, the Argus II Retinal Prosthesis System has helped more than 60 people recover partial sight, with some experiencing better results than others. Consisting of 60 electrodes implanted in the retina and glasses fitted with a special mini camera, Argus II has already won the approval of European regulators. The US Food and Drug Administration is soon expected to follow suit, making this bionic eye the world's first to become widely available.

The article goes on to state that the benefits of the bionic eye varied by patient. Some patients saw little improvement, others more. It will be interesting to see how the technology improves over time.

While this bionic eye is for people who are blind, I wonder how long it will be before we replace perfectly healthy eyes with "super" bionic eyes? For example, a sniper has a bionic eye that enables him to see further, etc. Maybe that's not in the works, and maybe it is.

There was a really gnarly picture of the eye being operated on. You can see it by clicking the link, I'm too much of a wuss to post it.

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I want one, I want to see in nightvision, I want to see in heat vision and x rays

The cyberpunk world is coming about and I want it all.
I see getting cybered up as the next step in our evolution, We can not wait for nature to do it so let us do it ourselves with technology, If they invent a eye what makes us be able to see in the dark I want one, If they make an arm which is better than my own I want one.
Heck If they can make me a whole new cyborg body in which I can travel to the stars without my muscles wasting away pop my brain in one and I will go in a heartbeat.
I just fear because of my age I will miss out on it all

Oh here is a funny article.

www.theonion.com...
edit on 7-2-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I want one, I want to see in nightvision, I want to see in heat vision and x rays

The cyberpunk world is coming about and I want it all.

Hello, my friend! Not seen you in a while.

Yeah, I could imagine you with super powers. I guess they could install these in the airport security guards, and do away with the invasive body scans?

How long until someone modifies it to see through clothing.....

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Yup been busy in RL...

I know this is a game but If you ever roleplayed (tabletop) cyberpunk 2020 went in detail in cyberware and that followed william gibsons work.

Oh here is a new game coming up cyberpunk 2077.

I will be 103 in 2077 hope they can chrome me up
edit on 7-2-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Here's an image showing what the implant looks like in place.. I guess it's pretty much invisible to anyone looking at your eye since it's an implant inside your own eye.. not replacing your actual eye.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Transhumanism is just around the corner. Someday we may be more like the borg than we care to entertain right now. Nice find Smylee.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
There are some real advances coming down the pipe as far as artificial retinae are concerned. Not just blobby phosphene dots anymore. Actual vision. Your kids will get new eyes if they lose one to old age.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Congratulations!

This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday night between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website. You can also connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here to listen to the ATSLive Radio Show on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

Right I will listen to the show, I always forget it is on

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I wouldn't really call this a 'bionc eye', The person who wears this needs to where a special pair of glasses that (as far as I can tell) convert real images into low resolution images. Its like sticking a screen really close to your eye so you can make out stuff.

new topics

join