An English King - shows his face for the first time in 500 years.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

Yorkists weren't based in York; they were from down south.

It's just a name - "the House of York".

The Lancastrians ("House of Lancaster") were mostly based in the north.

It wasn't a war between Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Most Yorkshire people would have fought for the Lancastrians.
edit on 8-2-2013 by CJCrawley because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by CJCrawley

Depending on location. York was thoroughly behind The House of York though.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

How many times have you been to that awful little place in the Midlands called Leicestershire?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Baycamjo

How many times have you been to that awful little place in the Midlands called Leicestershire?

never.

Are you from there - if so oops - sorry.

I stand by York though - I love York and it is one of the best cities in Europe, Richard should be buried there, he is a York.

What claim does Leicester have to him apart from his bones ?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
The documentary about this was, well it wasn't that interesting the way it was presented even if the subject matter was. Seemed to be more about how emotional the woman who ran the little R-III fan club got ever time they shoved the bones under her nose than anything.

What I found more interesting were the things they didn't seem to care about - That the location of the body seemed to be a foregone conclusion - I got the distinct impression that it wasn't so much a huge mystery as to where he was, but just that no one cared enough to stump up the cash for a digger and some DNA tests.

They had contemporary records as to where he was laid to rest, it was only later legends that muddied the waters. And they dug in the exact spot in the car park where an 'R' was spray painted on - this all came out really early in the documentary - Why didn't they ask the social services employees if they knew anything about who sprayed the 'R' in their carpark, since it was the exact spot where his body was!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by VelvetSplash

I think the R was simply a marking for 'Reserved' as in any other carpark, really nothing mystical at all.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ironorchid

I think the R was simply a marking for 'Reserved' as in any other carpark, really nothing mystical at all.

It was a bit mystical though dont you think. Given where it was.
Also when Phillipa said she got a shiver through her spine as she walked over his grave, unknowingly.
Almost like she was being guided.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

It was a little spooky the way they hit the mark on the first dig..

Maybe Richard wanted to be found.. He had probably got bored of hanging around Leicester Social Services, I cannot imagine that would be a good place to haunt...

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

My sentiments exactly.

'Twas a strange doco, that one.

A bit too reality TV for me (god but wasn't that woman irritating?).

And the 'R' thing was never explained, except that the crazy lady had some sort of sixth sense that they should dig there.

Felt like the pilot of some weird soap.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Actually I think it's because ATOS declared him fit for work!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

When they unveiled his facial reconstruction and she said she felt like she could just talk to him, my missus remarked that if she was alone with him, she probably would...

She certainly came across as a bit of nutter, but credit where credit is due, she had done what no one else had managed to do in 500 years.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ironorchid

Nice one

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

It was a little spooky the way they hit the mark on the first dig..

Maybe Richard wanted to be found.. He had probably got bored of hanging around Leicester Social Services, I cannot imagine that would be a good place to haunt...

It did seem that way

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

What is the reason that Roman catholics cannot marry into the royal family? This is weird.

So atheists, jews, muslims etc can marry them but not roman catholics. Sounds suspect

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I have just realised that there is a bit of Richard III in me! (looking at his pictures more). Not a lot but definitely a little bit. I am now wondering if i have some Royal bastard blood in me?
Traced the family back to the 1120's and it is Yorkshire, Lancashire (a little bit) and Cumbria all the way back, so who knows?

Sod it, i am claiming it anyway. Just going to phone Leicester Uni to demand the return of Uncle Dick.............

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomEntered
reply to post by Freeborn

What is the reason that Roman catholics cannot marry into the royal family? This is weird.

So atheists, jews, muslims etc can marry them but not roman catholics. Sounds suspect

It isn't that Roman Catholics are barred from marrying into the royal family, because they can. However, a Roman Catholic or a member of the royal family married to a Roman Catholic cannot become King/Queen.

There are two main reasons for this:
1. King/Queen is the head of the Church of England, which does not recognize the Pope as God's supreme representative; and
2. Parliament deemed it was dangerous for the safety and welfare of Britain for the Pope to have undue influence on the British monarch, which they believed would be the case if the monarch was Roman Catholic.

As it stands right now, while a Roman Catholic or spouse of a Roman Catholic is barred from the succession, the descendants of such a person are not as long as they are Anglican.

There is legislation currently in the works to change this but it has to be passed by the parliaments of all the commonwealth countries, not just Britain, to take effect.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by erwalker

ah right. i see, thankyou for explaning , now i understand

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

Wrong, the Feudal system was long-gone by the 1300s and English Kings were speaking the English language as lingua franca by 1400s. Some folk on this thread don't even know their history, the real history that is.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

When they unveiled his facial reconstruction and she said she felt like she could just talk to him, my missus remarked that if she was alone with him, she probably would...

She certainly came across as a bit of nutter, but credit where credit is due, she had done what no one else had managed to do in 500 years.

She's an empathic type of person that's for sure. People in the UK don't like that typically.
A lot of the haters don't realise she helped find his remains on raw instincts and intuition alone.

She's probably a channeller or visionary to do that, she probably knows a thing or two that would set these ATS boards buzzing...

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway
I stand by York though - I love York and it is one of the best cities in Europe, Richard should be buried there, he is a York.

Has anyone pointed out that Richard III, as a Catholic, should not be interred in any Anglican church, including York Minster or Leicester Cathedral?

www.cathedral.leicester.anglican.org...
www.yorkminster.org...

Regards

PS I agree that York is a beautiful city and the Minster is exceptional.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join