It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran releases decrypted footage from US' RQ-170 drone

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Another thing I just noticed
On the footage of the drone taxiing into the compound the surveillance cam is panning to the right of the landing gear
You cannot see the landing gear covers that are present on the RQ170, but not on a pred/reaper

Zaphod this is probably something you could help with - cast your eyes over some pics of the RQ/reaper/pred then look again at the vid and pay attention to the landing gear but more so the lack of landing gear covers in the vid footage ( maybe post a few pics if you could as an example - I'm unable to )
This leads me to believe that the footage is not from a RQ

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

This drone can still be the real deal even though it dosent carry weapons. A drone is a eye in the sky, some have the capability to engage targets, some do not. It could have called in a air strikes. They do use drones to spot targets and then call in choppers or jets to take out spotet targets.

I dont think we should get cought up in the quality of the film. It might just be a bad copy. This might not be a direct download to the news/youtube.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I doubt Iran decoded it, but I bet they received some pretty sweet deals to let someone else decode it, study it, then return it.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I think Iran is BS and that they didn't decode nothing.. I highly doubt for hundreds of millions of dollars for this baby, it would have that bad of a camera system.. Only thing that I can think of, is that Iran took out it's engine and stripped everything and put there own engine and camera system, hense why it's so terrible haha.

Doesn't it sound suspicious though that the USA would just let this high tech drone just land in Iran and not even go blow it up? C'mon it's common sense that doesn't sound like USA..

It was probably sent to Iran for them to capture so they would download some false information the Americans wanted them to have. Why else would it crash there? and why didn't all the information it carried self destruct?
The British used the same on a body for the Nazi's to find during second world war. False information.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I'd be careful about catagorically claiming what Iran can and can't do.

Nobody thought they could down the drone in the first place, yet there it sits...completely intact too.

The ONLY way for that drone to be completely intact and in the hands of the Iranians...is if they have been able to hack the remote satellite signals being fed to it, and feed new comands themselves.

Of course, even forgetting whether or not they have been able to get at the encrypted onboard data, the very fact they seem to be able to reprogramme a military drone, on the fly, and basically take control of it should send shivers down the spines of many US military commanders.

If they can do it with one drone, they can do it with hundreds. And why stop at drones? Most manned fighters might be vulnerable to being hacked remotely too, the only way to prevent a foreign army taking control of your airforce would be to switch off the advanced avionics and electronic devices onboard...which would leave them at a serious disadvantage in combat.

If the Americans were smart, they should have completely redesigned both the software and the encryption used in the control down/uplinks.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
reply to post by ugie1028

Iran decrypted footage did they? Being that I was a cryptologist in the USN & understand how the military encrypts their data I call BS on Iran.

But then again, did anyone need my verification to call Iran out on its lies?

nah

Yea, just like people called BS when Iran first announced they captured the drone, that is until Obama went on record asking Iran if he could pweety pweaze have his drone back

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by live2beknown

I can tell you few things.

- It is not common sense that the US would hand Iran this drone. The US dont give military handouts to their enemy.

- It is more commen sense that the US is very much like you, And think that Iranians are a buch of idiots who dosent have the capability to do what they just did. Down a US drone.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

They did have the whole drone, which they reversed engineered also they probably reversed engineered the algorithm to encrypt and decrypt data.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by spy66

I can tell you few things.

- It is not common sense that the US would hand Iran this drone. The US dont give military handouts to their enemy.

- It is more commen sense that they US is very much like you, and think that Iranians are a buch of idiots who dosent have the capability to do what they just did. Down a US drone.

What do you even know about military and there tactics, or technology for that matter? Why wouldn't they just hand them the drone, Could be a reason and I'm sure there is. Do you really think they would ask nicely for there drone back, the USA of what we know of it. Why wouldn't they blow it up with another drone when it landed..If It was that important to the US, they would of went in and get it the second they lost control of it, or blow it up. I don't think Iran is that stupid, but to decrypt that coding in it. I think they can't, I know military encryption It's very high tech and is tested by the best to make it near impossible to hack it. I'm not saying it's impossible but would take 10's of years. It can even just take yeaaars to even encrypt AES 256bit encryption. Military is like 4096+ bit with different Algorithms, different than the public encryption uses..So tell me "Mr. Expert", do you really think it would be that easy to encrypt.. I only say this as I work for National Defence (Canada) and we work very closely with US, and our encryption is pretty high up.
edit on 7-2-2013 by live2beknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Yep...military encryption is wayyyyy beyond what us mortals still use, like triple DES in the PKI system that's for sure....LOL But....Iran does have money and money does buy spies...They only way to gain access to the encryption has to be through spies and thqat my friend...Is the scary and real possiblity of this whole thing.

Thanks for your input on this, cool to read something that is somewhat technical and makes complete sense.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

What do you even know about military and there tactics, or technology for that matter?

Do you know who i am. Since you state this?

I have served in the Navy since 1991. That is quite a long time. More than most people on ATS have even been alive. I am 42 years old.

Why wouldn't they just hand them the drone, Could be a reason and I'm sure there is.

Your reason is no more than a excuse to justify, that Iran dosent have the capability to capture the real RQ-170.

You are making up excuses to justify what happened. So that it wont look bad for the US.

You were not part of that mission planning. Nor did you fly the drone on that mission. So you have no facts.

You are just presenting ideas.

Why wouldn't they blow it up with another drone when it landed..If It was that important to the US, they would of went in and get it the second they lost control of it, or blow it up.

There are probably many reasons why the US didnt or couldn't destroy or destract the drone safely.

1. There was no other armed drone around.
2. They couldnt blow it up because a malfunction in that system onboard the drone. That can happen you know, even on US equipment.
3. Iran have early warning system that can detect byond their own border. Preventing a safe rescue or creating a bigger mess.

There are many reaons. Only the once who planned the mission and controlled the drone knows.

I think they can't, I know military encryption It's very high tech and is tested by the best to make it near impossible to hack it.

Here you go again. Making up excuses to justify this so that it wont look bad for the US.
This is typical for a person who is very one sided.

What you think is so insignificant it holds no merit. I dont know how you can argue your thoughts as if they hold more merit then what the Iranians are claiming.

You havent been a part of this at all. But the Iraninas have.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

I know there is a bigger explanation than just letting them have a "high tech" drone..I think we all know the states better than that. it doesn't make sense, I'm not sticking up for them or on there side.

Every country does have there own technology, but I Do know the US does possess some that is of much higher than other knows, but most of this stuff you require a higher clearance than you possess. Cause if you were in the navy, you'd know the tech they possess, and what the US is capable of doing. Just because you were a "Stewart" on a ship doesn't make you known to the advanced tech that the US posses.

I don't think Iran has decrypted the advanced code in the drone, yes there is spies everywhere. We had one in our country recently selling Cosmic TS stuff about NATO to Russia for 6 years.. it's a disgrace, but they do exist and a lot of tech does get sold.. But, to me it just doesn't make sense..And the US/CIA have like 1000's of Drones near and in Afghan and near it's borders. Even Canada, has better camera systems on our drones and I know that for a fact since seeing it in action and presented infront of me.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Every country does have there own technology

Not really.

What you are talking about is the actual sofistication of a product "right"?

- That means specific components must be manufactured and assembeled in the right order, for the right singnals to be produced. To have a functional product. "Right"?

- Everybody know this. This is common knowledge. How hard would it be to to study the US dron from a distence and figure out how it is controlled. If you have the right detection system to do this the door will be open.

It is not that hard if you can pinpoint the signal that controlls it. And duplicate it.

If you know the frequency it is controlled by. You can manufacture the right components that create the right singnal to have a functional product.

EDIT:

Its not like Iran just detected the drone and then brought it down. No, they have had close to 10 years to study US drones over Afghanistan and Iraq. And record the signal that they use.

They could even have created their own drone that worked by the exact same signal, to test flight controll systems.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Yea, they would have to block the signal from a satilite to the drone. It's pretty sophisticated. It is possible, but America's reaction to this incident just doesn't make sense..they were trying to start a war with Iran and still are, with Israel pressuring the states, and at that time the states was in an aggresive stance with Iran, to think that would be enough for them to start a war. So that's what surprises me..

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Those bums.
They show all of our bases, not they would ever get near any.
That footage should have been erased unless we are giving them gift for
some reason. So spy networks are alive and well in Illuminati land.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

but America's reaction to this incident just doesn't make sense..they were trying to start a war with Iran and still are

What we see and read about in the media is one thing. But we dont know what Pentagons reaktion to this was behind closed doors.

How this was going to be displayed to the media, had to go through Pentagon (proper channels). It is not good publicity to go on air and say that Iran hacked our drone.
Sort of sends a wrong signal to the public, that a super power with the largest military budget in the world managed to loose a sophisticated drone way inside Iran. To the iranians.

That sure would have stird up the hornets nest. That is not good when you have option on the table to attack Iran. The US would want to gain publick support and trust. Not loose it.

The US have a budget to defend.

And if the US want to go to war. They must keep the American moral up. You dont do that by saying: Iran have tech that can counter ours.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

I agree, but why would they ask for it back? doesn't make sense..that's not like the states at all.. They knew Iran wouldn't give it back, yet they asked anyways..So, how do we know that they didn't just give it to them with false info like Brits did to the Germans? They're so many possbilites out there, that the public doesn't know, but a hand full of people. Anything could of happened, maybe they did lose it or gave it to them who knows..But, I know if Bush was president he would of destroyed it by any means if it wasn't on purpose.. But, it's all mere speculation.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by spy66

Every country does have there own technology

Everybody know this. This is common knowledge. How hard would it be to to study the US dron from a distence and figure out how it is controlled. If you have the right detection system to do this the door will be open.

It is not that hard if you can pinpoint the signal that controlls it. And duplicate it.
This is possible as during air shows, many visiting nations do not use the radar and/or other onboard avionics systems just to ensure that the host country is not scanning/listening/studying their secrets. Obviously US has been operating close to the Iranian border for 10 years and with the given distance at which it was operating close to their borders, it is very likely to study the drone in its full operating mode with onboard avionics fully turned on (perhaps even with the help of other nations).

edit on 7-2-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by live2beknown
reply to post by spy66

I agree, but why would they ask for it back? doesn't make sense..that's not like the states at all.. They knew Iran wouldn't give it back, yet they asked anyways..
Well all the more ways to create more curiosity amongst the Iranian Military ? Just a WAG.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by live2beknown
reply to post by spy66

I agree, but why would they ask for it back? doesn't make sense..that's not like the states at all.. They knew Iran wouldn't give it back, yet they asked anyways..So, how do we know that they didn't just give it to them with false info like Brits did to the Germans? They're so many possbilites out there, that the public doesn't know, but a hand full of people. Anything could of happened, maybe they did lose it or gave it to them who knows..But, I know if Bush was president he would of destroyed it by any means if it wasn't on purpose.. But, it's all mere speculation.

Well if the US gave it to them. Why would they ask for it to be returned, if it was just a mock up of the real QR-170?

It dosen't make any sense that the US would aid Iran in any way with military technology. Not even a mock up. Because a Mock up would have saved Iran both time and money to build their own.

When it comes to G W Bush. Everyone knew that he was far fromt the sharpest knife in the dror. I bet the CIA didn't even trust him. G W Bush probably would have ordered the drone to be brought back. But Pentagon and the CIA would have stoped him.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join