It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Massive Fish Die-Off In Iceland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Source: www.weather.com... (pics in link)

EYKJAVIK, Iceland -- Researchers in Iceland are blaming low oxygen levels in a shallow fjord for the death of tens of thousands of tons of herring.

Thousands of dead herring have been found in Kolgrafafjordur fjord for the second time this winter, raising concerns about Iceland's fishery.

Morgunbladid newspaper estimated the value of the 10,000 tons of fish found dead this week $9.8 million. An even larger number of fish died in December.

Johann Sigurjonsson, director of Iceland's Marine Research Institute, said Wednesday that roughly one season's worth of herring has been lost.

Add this to the list of yet another massive fish / bird / animal die-off. I can't even keep count anymore.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
The explanation in the article seems feasible (fish dying due to lack of oxygen caused by crowding).

But since Iceland is on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, I wonder if volcanic gases could've depleted some of the oxygen.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

Hmmmmm......kind of makes me wonder if they might be about to get some unexpected volcanic activity in the coming months. I don't have any sources for that, just a feeling it could be possible- but I surely hope not!

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Yeah, this kind of thing is a serious concern. If it isn't writing on the wall then what is?

Until recently I was fishing daily for my food in an area considered near pristine and unpolluted yet I found that the mullet had a large incidence of flesh worms. I did a google and apparently worms can occur in fish flesh but it is rare yet I was finding that 3 out 5 mullet I caught were contaminated. I guess this has nothing to do with fish dying but its another indication that all is not well with Nature.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Dear SilentKoala,

Funny how most of these die offs only effect one species of fish and they all die at the same time which eliminates poisoning, oxygen deprivation, disease or poisoning. I also find it amusing that the original explanations are never proven, the media never gives us an update proving what killed them. Maybe they never find the answers.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
The bankers were ridiculed and kicked out of Iceland. MAYBE, ( this will sound crazy........ATS bare with me ) those same extremely wealthy bankers are giving them a little bit to think about by using some technology to kill off a source of their economic revenue. Or it could be a natural cause......

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Its not strange.. We keep polluting the oceans all over the world and its starting to catch up with us. Its only going to get worse.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by bitsforbytes

Well you have a point there. No good deed goes unpunished.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Well we just had the shaking in the islands today actually!

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear SilentKoala,

Funny how most of these die offs only effect one species of fish and they all die at the same time which eliminates poisoning, oxygen deprivation, disease or poisoning. I also find it amusing that the original explanations are never proven, the media never gives us an update proving what killed them. Maybe they never find the answers.

I agree with your opinion and wonder if there are currently any smelt left swimming around, along with any other species of fish. It's also worthy to note (according to the OP site) that this has happened 2 times in 2 months, the prior incident happening in Dec 2012 and the die off was much larger. If this current smaller die off is equivalent to one season's worth of fish, I think a lot of people are going to be in trouble. And it IS amazing we never hear another word about these fish/fowl die offs. We need independent biologists doing some research.
edit on 6-2-2013 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

for the death of tens of thousands of tons of herring.......... > Thousands of dead herring .

Thousands of dead herring weigh tens of thousands of tons ?

How frikken huge are these herring?

edit on 6-2-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
its all kicking off in iceland...ha

www.abovetopsecret.com...

god save the fish

peace

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

1 just hopes the sea floors scavengers can recycle so much potential unseen side effects from mass sea life die offs, since it may be more then usual falling down there.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

for the death of tens of thousands of tons of herring.......... > Thousands of dead herring .

Thousands of dead herring weigh tens of thousands of tons ?

How frikken huge are these herring?

edit on 6-2-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

Kinda big herring aren't they

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
It is shocking to me how many people just write-off these massive die-offs and say that it's been that way in the past. In the past few years some shocking things have happened with a frequency never seen in the past. There are lower levels of dissolved oxygen in many waters around the world due to primarily pollution and it's exacerbated by warmer temperatures.

I live near the great Lakes and this is a huge problem. Due to phosphorus entering the Great Lakes from fertilizers and water treatment to mitigate lead leaching in potable water, anaerobic algae grows and drops oxygen levels. The lowest levels are seen in the colder months. There is a link below explaining how this phenomenon is occurring in Lake Erie. It's the EPA's own work. I'm not a fan of the political leaders of the EPA, but they do have credible scientists as evidenced by this link.

In the past few days, Florida issued the first alert EVER for red tide. And, the "Enviroccultists" worry about the increase of CO2 when we are treating our water (rivers, lakes, and oceans) like sewers? The two most important things for planet earth: water and oxygen.

www.epa.gov...

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
According to local news reports this morning, the die-off was man-made.

I found the story at this link:

Between 25,000 and 30,000 tons of herring died in December and more now, due to lack of oxygen in the fjord thought to have been caused by a landfill and bridge constructed across the fjord in December 2004.

new topics

top topics

join