Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Had to do a system recovery, now need help with transferring the backup from external hard drive to

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Okay, my computer finally crashed on me and I had to do a 'system recovery' using the original recovery discs.
Every thing is working fine, more or less. Can't use Chrome and hate this default browser.

I had some of my software discs for my virus protection and my Verizon modem and installed them.

The problem I'm having is transferring the data from the external hard drive to my PC.
I know about the 'back up/restore' but only a small part of my stuff transferred.

The second time I tried, I could see the data info that needs to be transferred but when it finished, nothing.
I turned it off, back on, still nothing.

Call me a dummy, maybe I'm just to frustrated and over looking some thing simple but I'm not getting the data transferred.

Never had to do any thing like this before, so not sure what I'm doing wrong.
I hope it's just a oops "damn I'm stupid" moment....


Any help would be greatful.
At least I can use my computer now where as the other day I had nothing.....


Thanks~
snarky

P.S. Also, is it lacking Java that's making this page look kinda wonky? [on my end]
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated too.




posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412
 


Did you actually perform a system backup to the external HD or is it just copies of all of your files and you just need to transfer them from the external to the computer?



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412
Okay, my computer finally crashed on me and I had to do a 'system recovery' using the original recovery discs.
Every thing is working fine, more or less. Can't use Chrome and hate this default browser.

I had some of my software discs for my virus protection and my Verizon modem and installed them.

The problem I'm having is transferring the data from the external hard drive to my PC.
I know about the 'back up/restore' but only a small part of my stuff transferred.

The second time I tried, I could see the data info that needs to be transferred but when it finished, nothing.
I turned it off, back on, still nothing.

Call me a dummy, maybe I'm just to frustrated and over looking some thing simple but I'm not getting the data transferred.

Never had to do any thing like this before, so not sure what I'm doing wrong.
I hope it's just a oops "damn I'm stupid" moment....


Any help would be greatful.
At least I can use my computer now where as the other day I had nothing.....


Thanks~
snarky

P.S. Also, is it lacking Java that's making this page look kinda wonky? [on my end]
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated too.


What version are you using ? XP, Vista, Ultimate etc?
Would help if you can supply as it is easier to help you knowing what type of OS you use...



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Carbon. Copy. Cloner.

Two.

Three.



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
reply to post by snarky412
 


Did you actually perform a system backup to the external HD or is it just copies of all of your files and you just need to transfer them from the external to the computer?


Well, when the reminder comes on it says time for my 'back up schedule', so I assumed all this time it was backup.....it let's me know when I'm over due for backup.

If it wasn't actually a backup, which it tells me when I'm past due, what else can I do? Or what should I do?

Thanks~
snarky



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1
 





What version are you using ? XP, Vista, Ultimate etc?


Sorry about that.....Windows Vista.
PC about 4 yrs. old......had the original discs made when bought at Best Buys.
Went through the system recovery procedure without a problem.
But not sure what to do next as far as my data on the external hard drive goes.

And when I clicked the 'quote' box, my browser acted weird. Also doesn't look the same.

Thanks~
snarky



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
Carbon. Copy. Cloner.

Two.

Three.


Sorry, don't understand.......my apologies.



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412
reply to post by scotsdavy1
 





What version are you using ? XP, Vista, Ultimate etc?


Sorry about that.....Windows Vista.
PC about 4 yrs. old......had the original discs made when bought at Best Buys.
Went through the system recovery procedure without a problem.
But not sure what to do next as far as my data on the external hard drive goes.

And when I clicked the 'quote' box, my browser acted weird. Also doesn't look the same.

Thanks~
snarky


I was afraid that you would say Vista



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
reply to post by snarky412
 


Did you actually perform a system backup to the external HD or is it just copies of all of your files and you just need to transfer them from the external to the computer?


Well, when the reminder comes on it says time for my 'back up schedule', so I assumed all this time it was backup.....it let's me know when I'm over due for backup.

If it wasn't actually a backup, which it tells me when I'm past due, what else can I do? Or what should I do?

Thanks~
snarky

I have a feeling that if you scheduled your back up as advised that you may have backed up to a partition on the internal HD and not your external. You would have specifically set up to backup to the external.



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
reply to post by snarky412
 


Did you actually perform a system backup to the external HD or is it just copies of all of your files and you just need to transfer them from the external to the computer?


Well, when the reminder comes on it says time for my 'back up schedule', so I assumed all this time it was backup.....it let's me know when I'm over due for backup.

If it wasn't actually a backup, which it tells me when I'm past due, what else can I do? Or what should I do?

Thanks~
snarky


Do you actually know your PC was doing a complete backup each time it told you it was due, or did you do nothing and think it did it for you? Only asked be caused it may not have backed anything up without you doing anything, some do, some don't.
It's been many many years since I used Vista, never had it long before I upgraded
Is there an option to restore from backup in Vista?
I take it that you have a 'clean' machine now without all your personal stuff you had on it? Also, head over and get all your updates the PC needs at M/S which will be marked and in the meantime you can get Java etc for free download if you just put Java in search for it..
edit on 6-2-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
Carbon. Copy. Cloner.

Two.

Three.


Sorry, don't understand.......my apologies.


I don't think anyone understands that.. he must work in IT.

Umm, sounds like security to me, if you had your external drive connected to the OS before you reinstalled it, it would have associated things on it with your user guid, which is unique to each user. So when you reinstall the OS (sounds like you have done this since everything is reset) then it's using an unknown guid to associate the data on the external drive which by default you shouldnt have access to - security measures from a M$ stand point.

You can try taking ownership of the folders on the drive, and replace permissions on the drive. It might fix the issue *IF* it is a security permission issue.

From memory, it's accessed by right clicking on the drive/folder you want to access, then the Properties option then Security Tab. It should list a bunch of names in the top box, like Administrator or your user name, but it might just contain a long string of characters. An unresolvable guid.

Down the bottom, Advanced should be there (I've been on win7/8 for a while now, they change things), and in the new window that should open, there should be a Ownership option at the top.

Change Owner should be an option in there, and it might list a long string again, or something else, but if it gives you the option to Change it, see if you can change it to your username (the one you log in with. I'm also guessing you have administrator rights to your machine). Select the Replace owner on all containers and objects. it should then apply this.

Don't do this on any drive that your OS is on. Unless you are sure what you are doing. But the external drive should be fine.

It's insanely hard to describe things with so many unknowns, but thats my first guess - permissions on the external drive after you reinstalled your OS.

if it's not.. oO

clone. repeat. rinse.. or something lol



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412
 




I was afraid that you would say Vista

I know, I've been putting off up grading.....




I have a feeling that if you scheduled your back up as advised that you may have backed up to a partition on the internal HD and not your external. You would have specifically set up to backup to the external.



Even though it would remind me, it was done manually. I had to go into the backup program and do it myself. And each time it asked me where to save it and I would click onto the Seagate hard drive.....

As I stated earlier, today when I thought it was transferring the data, I was sitting here reading it as it crusied by and I could read info that was saved but it didn't take to the PC for some reason.
I was hoping it was a fault of mine by doing some thing wrong....like maybe I didn't do the process correct.
Very frustrating to know it's there but I don't have the know how of what to do next.

Much respect~
snarky



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
well if you actually backed up.
there is a pc transfer wizard someone where in the programs folder.

look around for that.

or google restore from backup for your os



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1
 



Do you actually know your PC was doing a complete backup each time it told you it was due, or did you do nothing and think it did it for you? Only asked be caused it may not have backed anything up without you doing anything, some do, some don't.

It would send me reminders but I did it maually and had to select Seagate hard drive.
So, call me gullible, but yeah, I assumed it did a backup.
Actually, I did both the Windows backup and Seagate backup but I no longer have the apps for Seagate.
But I can see/read the missing data when I try to transfer it...it just won't take.


I take it that you have a 'clean' machine now without all your personal stuff you had on it? Also, head over and get all your updates the PC needs at M/S which will be marked and in the meantime you can get Java etc for free download if you just put Java in search for it..

Very clean............It's been doing updates automatically.
I had forgotton about Java until I logged on here. Will definitley download .....need it for ATS.


Much respect~
snarky



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I had a look and found this
So hopefully this will restore your PC back to the way it was when it last backed up including all your files you want.
Let me know if it is any good for you...



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412
 


The chances are if you done a system back up it would have just backed up your operating system and potentially not your personal files.

If you browse the external hard disk via My computer can you see any files on it? if so just drag them across with your mouse onto your desktop and put them in your my documents folders again.



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend
 



It's insanely hard to describe things with so many unknowns, but thats my first guess - permissions on the external drive after you reinstalled your OS.


Okay, I will check into that also.
I never did set up any kind of password due to the fact it's just my husband and I, and I never take the computer out of the house.
But I will look into that any way.....just to be sure.

I hate being computer illiterate.....

I know the basics but that's about it.
What I've learned I had to find out on my own by trial and error.
And help from you guys......


Thanks~
snarky



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
reply to post by snarky412
 


The chances are if you done a system back up it would have just backed up your operating system and potentially not your personal files.

If you browse the external hard disk via My computer can you see any files on it? if so just drag them across with your mouse onto your desktop and put them in your my documents folders again.


Will have to check this out.......thanks.
snarky



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
I had a look and found this
So hopefully this will restore your PC back to the way it was when it last backed up including all your files you want.
Let me know if it is any good for you...


Appreciate it.....

Will let you know.

Thanks~
snarky



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
I had a look and found this
So hopefully this will restore your PC back to the way it was when it last backed up including all your files you want.
Let me know if it is any good for you...


Appreciate it.....

Will let you know.

Thanks~
snarky


And you are not computer illiterate, we all are, just some know more than others. We learn something new every day. We all had to start somewhere.
Hope some of this helps....





new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join