AP source: Lawmakers to get classified drone info

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

AP source: Lawmakers to get classified drone info

www.katu.com

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama has directed the Justice Department to give Congress' intelligence committees access to classified information providing the legal rationale for drone strikes against American citizens working with al-Qaida abroad, a senior administration official said Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Hi

Well so do you think BHO actually released all the classified info, or just enough to appease some lawmakers

Several lawmakers, led by Oregon's U.S. Sen. Ron Wyden, have pressed the White House for more information on how decisions are made to target U.S. citizens abroad follow the release this week of an unclassified "white paper" that the Justice Department sent key lawmakers last year. The unclassified memo says it is legal for the government to kill U.S. citizens abroad if it believes they are senior al-Qaida leaders continually engaged in operations aimed at killing Americans

Legal to kill US citizens if it believes they are senior al-Qaida leaders.. Sound to me like they can kill anyone they want as long as they say they were Al Quaida

www.katu.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 6-2-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
You do realize any number of law enforcement organizations can kill you without due process.
Exigent Circumstances

The controversy is use of force by the military on civilians (AKA posse comitatus violation) and the use of lethal force on Americans in a foreign country.

The problem is with the OLC (Office of Legal Council). Similar to John Yoo's tortured logic, someone within the OLC wrote a legal justification for these so called drone attacks. Note that drones are totally irrelevant to the argument. If you are hit with a Hellfire or machine gun fire, dead is dead.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
If they are/do/will arm them with some type of missile like the preds then i can see a big problem with people on the ground taking over control and launching missiles. And if it is at all in the realm of possibilities i can see certain elements taking advantage of said "terrorist attack"

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Come on, use some common sense.

Legal to kill US citizens if it believes they are senior al-Qaida leaders.. Sound to me like they can kill anyone they want as long as they say they were Al Quaida

You really think the US government is going to drop drone bombs on people it doesnt like? when it can just hire someone local to stab them, shoot them or make them disapear?

IF the US starts using drones and killing fat american tourists, then yes we have a problem.

But I cant imagine many US tourists in the mountains in afghanistan playing nicely with taliban fighters who would chop the head of a US soldier at any given moment.

Another case of people looking for any excuse at all to blast this administration.

They are not perfect, they are not good, they are a hell of a lot better than GW Bush, but using such pathetic excuses to have a shot at them is doing nothing for the cause.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
reply to post by goou111

Come on, use some common sense.

You really think the US government is going to drop drone bombs on people it doesnt like? when it can just hire someone local to stab them, shoot them or make them disapear?

IF the US starts using drones and killing fat american tourists, then yes we have a problem.

But I cant imagine many US tourists in the mountains in afghanistan playing nicely with taliban fighters who would chop the head of a US soldier at any given moment.

Another case of people looking for any excuse at all to blast this administration.

They are not perfect, they are not good, they are a hell of a lot better than GW Bush, but using such pathetic excuses to have a shot at them is doing nothing for the cause.

I agree with you on both fronts, for now

Perhaps in the future it won't be uncommon to hear of drones striking estranged "survivalists", or to call in drones for those "terrorists" holed up in their homes/bunkers with their "assault" weapons. Perhaps if there are regional collapses / breakdowns in governments resulting in places where there is no law / control, then drone strikes may be on the table?

That may sound far fetched, today, but maybe not in 5 years (or less, at the rate these insane happenings occur.)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Drones are handy for denied territory. If the government wants you while in the US, they will do it the old fashioned way, namely bust down the door.

My problem is Yemen isn't exactly denied territory. Further, the qualification to get whacked should be a bit more stringent than being a MAM (military age male) in the wrong part of town. How much of a threat was Anwar al-Aulaqi's teenage son?

These drone strikes have turned Al Qaeda into a bad rash, popping up everywhere. At least when the rash was on our butt (figuratively Afghanistan), we knew where they were.

The only good news is nobody wants to be number three in Al Qaeda.

new topics
top topics

join