It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Dark patch' visible in brain scans of killers and rapists, neurologist claims

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

'Dark patch' visible in brain scans of killers and rapists, neurologist claims

news.yahoo.com

Can you spot evil in an X-ray?

You can, at least according to a German scientist who claims an "evil patch" is visible in brain scans of criminals.

Dr. Gerhard Roth, a neurologist and professor at the University of Bremen, told London's Daily Mail that he discovered a dark mass near the front of the brain in scans of people with criminal records.

"When you look at the brain scans of hardened criminals, there are almost always severe shortcomings in the lower forehead part of the brain," Roth said. "There are cases where someone becomes criminal as a result of a tumor or an injur
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I can't even begin to fathom the effects and ethical/moral issues such a thing could/would/will bring up. There are already scientific findings that show that there are genetic causes for certain factors in different races of people. For example red heads require more novacaine in operation because they are not as sensitive to as the regular joe.

I personally believe that the lgbt community, crime, psychosis, and various other factors are all genetic, but that's just me.

Anyway, interesting article and food for thought

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

I look forward to the peer review of this information.

For now, it's certainly possible, but there's something else to think about.

Pre-crime and thought crime are something that are becoming popular. Perhaps this is a new means of 'diagnosing' you as a criminal, before you ever commit a crime?

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Eugenics is alive and well. I'd like to find out what the results would be if he scanned many government/religious officials. Although, I don't have much faith in this 'test'; it would be a fun experiment.
edit on 6-2-2013 by Abstruse because: oops

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
If true, it would make sense since the frontal lobe, or forehead area of the brain, is the part that controls empathy and impulses, among other things.

But, there could be other reasons for an abnormality there aside from a criminal tendency, such as an injury or congenital defect.
edit on 6-2-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Meanwhile, the pharmaceutical companies are scrambling to develop a drug to activate this region and or "fix" the problem with long term drug use with side effects of uncontrollable laughter, risk taking and occasionally nausea.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

As well as planning, co-ordination, and short term memory lol. Why do you think criminals always seem to get caught. It's the truly maniacal you have to watch out for.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I watched a documentary on something of this nature a while ago. Of course, my first thought was for those that believe our consciousness comes not from the brain, but out there somewhere. How can a brain determine someone's evil intent if that intent comes from the universal consciousness?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

I look forward to the peer review of this information.

For now, it's certainly possible, but there's something else to think about.

Pre-crime and thought crime are something that are becoming popular. Perhaps this is a new means of 'diagnosing' you as a criminal, before you ever commit a crime?

~Tenth

You can sin in your heart. If you want to kill someone but haven't, you are already a murderer in your heart. Well, that's what He said anyways. I know people are placing less and less emphasis on true wisdom these days..

Anyways they will not be prosecuting anyone who has not yet committed a crime. I could go into detail why....
edit on 6-2-2013 by NarrowGate because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
If true, it would make sense since the frontal lobe, or forehead area of the brain, is the part that controls empathy and impulses, among other things.

But, there could be other reasons for an abnormality there aside from a criminal tendency, such as an injury or congenital defect.
edit on 6-2-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

Exactly. I am almost certain there are other reasons for this.

I could go into detail but I think most understand...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I am sure that with the proper moral upbringing and the right beliefs that a person can control this darkside. This is where religion comes into play with it's conditioning. I wonder how many people have this problem that aren't evil.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
S&F. This quote disturbed me the most:

A growing number of psychologists "believe that psychopathy, like autism, is a distinct neurological condition—one that can be identified in children as young as 5," the New York Times reported in May.

My thought is that certain products of TPTB like flu-shots, anti-depressants and ADHD medications perpetuate psychopathic behavior and autism.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by theAnswer1111
S&F. This quote disturbed me the most:

A growing number of psychologists "believe that psychopathy, like autism, is a distinct neurological condition—one that can be identified in children as young as 5," the New York Times reported in May.

My thought is that certain products of TPTB like flu-shots, anti-depressants and ADHD medications perpetuate psychopathic behavior and autism.

First off, who is "TPTB"? What realm of sorcerers do they hail from?
Stop watching sci-fi. You are talking about wealthy people.

2nd. You are right, minus the flu shots. I am still undecided on those.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I am sure that with the proper moral upbringing and the right beliefs that a person can control this darkside. This is where religion comes into play with it's conditioning. I wonder how many people have this problem that aren't evil.

Every man has good in him. We are products of circumstance and genetics combined with free will. Too bad we are conditioned to forget we have that thing that I put in bold.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Scientists have known for some time that there are anomalies in the structure or function of the pre-frontal cortex in criminal brains, possibly also the amygdala.

This is not news.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I watched a documentary on something of this nature a while ago. Of course, my first thought was for those that believe our consciousness comes not from the brain, but out there somewhere. How can a brain determine someone's evil intent if that intent comes from the universal consciousness?

that's a loooooooooOOOOooong explanation.

A person is multidimensional in this existence here on earth. There are bodily impulses, hunger, expel(urine/feces/vomit), sexual, fear, etc. There are emotional responses. There are mental responses.

No matter which is taking place at what time or what combination thereof, there remains forever an observer of all of these. The part of you that observes the impulses of all of these aspects, is not necessarily the same as the rest of these aspects.

For example, everything that an eyeball see's, is not the eye. Everything that the ear hears, is not the ear. Everything that the tongue tastes, is not the tongue. Everything that the observer observes, is not the observer**** (Please take note, that with practice, you remain in a state of no thought.) ...which means you are not the thinker of thoughts or those thoughts.... but the observer of them.

So much more to it than that

Of course, my first thought was for those that believe our consciousness comes not from the brain, but out there somewhere.

Some experience this to be so ...which is sooooo much further beyond belief. IF someone tells me, "I believe in so and so....." ok cool, I will wrestle logically with the possibility and keep in consideration theoretically." If someone says, "I have experienced so and so....." ...well then this has much more of my attention, because that means that this kind of experience is possibly accessible by others. Just like Buddha said, "Reality and You, work in such and such ways ...however don't take my word for it. Instead see for yourself if it is so. Here's how you can find these things.......(blueprints)" I checked alot of those claims and found them to be true ...like for example the mind creating an illusion of reality by superimposition, etc.
edit on 6-2-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Well yes, there are certain brain "abnormalities" that lead to a lesser ability to feel empathy or to use proper decision-making (such as is seen in psychopaths, for example). These differences in the brain have been known for quite some time, so this isn't new news.
I don't think this could really be used for any kind of pre-crime detection, as many people who have these brain abnormalities are "normal", functional people with families and careers. I think it's just that it is more likely seen in people who have been convicted of crimes.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Surely to prove his theory, he would have to demonstrate this area of the brain was different before the person displayed the criminal behaviour, ie from birth. Just because someone is a psycopath, it doesn't mean they will display criminal behaviour anyway, so another flaw in his theory.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
remeber this?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal
remeber this?

I remember. There is also an ATS member who has that as his avatar who says Christianity is the only way and all other paths and philosophies are the work of the devil

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join