It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with designing an ATS coffee table

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by aspiechick

I'm afraid I have bad news for you

I made the reception for a major charity either comic relief or children in need I forget now.
We had to buy the best walnut and then drive over it repeatedly in the car park to make it look distressed and reclaimed. You seriously don't want to know how many lives could have been saved with that money

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I've made several burl tables in the past. They are close to my heart...here are pics of several ideas to play off...

Mixed wood media coffee table. Incorporate ATS in the design...

Burl top coffee table, design base with carved ATS in wood...

Burl wood coffee table...find a place to delicately carve ATS into the top....to fit in with natural wood pattern...

Glass top coffee table...hand carve ATS into top surface of base glass is sitting on so it shows through the top...

Just some visuals to play with....Good Luck!

Des

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Use tinfoil and a thin epoxy for a verneer like.
Maybe smooth or some straigtened crinkles??
Now we're getting somewhere.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Love the second one Des
Maybe a kinda ATS growing out of roots with a modern ending ?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Ok, if linking them together was too much, here's another idea.

Print off some "top secret" literature preferably from this site and rip/crinkle them up a bit. Stomp on some of the pages with muddy boots, burn some on the edges, black out some of the wording on others. Make them look like little bits of important info that have been hidden away. Then place the papers erratically on top of the tinfoil and lacquer them on. Top it with the glass. What a great conversation starter! I may have to do this to my table now. When the hubby gets home, I am blaming you Cody

~OkieDokie

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by OkieDokie

manning up.
placing said coffee table and apologies for lack of sleep

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
I'm afraid I have bad news for you

I made the reception for a major charity either comic relief or children in need I forget now.
We had to buy the best walnut and then drive over it repeatedly in the car park to make it look distressed and reclaimed. You seriously don't want to know how many lives could have been saved with that money

*weeps* How ridiculous!!! Even if they needed huge pieces of wood that looks old - you can get that for free! Talk a walk around an industrial estate, and they will have everything - and willing to give it away free (as it saves them from having to pay someone to come and pick it up). I once even managed to get an ultra cute old wooden trolley, looks like and old coal mine trolley. It was a bugger getting home, but it was worth it.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by aspiechick

It gets worse

I'm not going to name names,
but one of those spent 28 million pounds on a refurbishment
go figure
sorry

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
It gets worse

I'm not going to name names,
but one of those spent 28 million pounds on a refurbishment
go figure
sorry

Charities my arse!!! Arrrrrrgh! Honestly, what's wrong with these people!?! Hmmm... then again, I'm not certain how it is now, but many years ago, a "charity" only had to make 10% of the actual money they received go to the charity! 28 million pounds - imagine how much good that money could have done. And by being a "charity" I'm sure that Ikea (or similar) would have been happy to donate anything they would have wanted to them.

And no... I'm not promoting Ikea. Hahahaha! If I cannot make something out of whatever I can get my hands on, I prefer to get something handcrafted by someone... I appreciate the time, talent and love that goes into something someone's made. That said, when I get the time (I'm actually in the process of making the frame for a room that will be clad with pallets on two of the walls), I need to fix my own coffee table. Currently a table with shelves underneath, plan is to get some wood, use the router to make it look like there's 6 drawers on it, some nice handles, and fasten it with hinges, so it's just to pull down and get access to the shelves. Oh well, one of these days I'll get the time... maybe.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
thanks for the input guys
It's Mr's C''s birthday, football on the telly.
Again if you'll all excuse me I'll devote the rest of tonight and my life to her.
Catch you in the forums

Cody

top topics

<< 1   >>

join