It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8,830,026: Americans on Disability Hits New Record for 192nd Straight Month

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by aem56

I accept it as well. And its not just the government, but society as a whole. It has been conditioned systematically to view those who have any disability as being a drain on society, and because of that, even a liability.

It sounds like you intend to change that by writing a book. I commend you on it.
I have my own way as well. Though, it was all done/is being done despite the system in place. Everyone should be enabled to contribute without such a vast extent of personal sacrifice (whether or not the individual is willing). It is outright more profitable and beneficial for the society we all reside in, though it wont show up directly in numbers in a bank account.

As is said, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Given the stage we are at culturally, I would venture a guess that we are on the precipice of some very big advancements in every arena. That would have happened years ago if the society actually focused on, encouraged, and enabled everyone to contribute in the best way they can, as an individual. Whether it is art, science, teaching, medicine, or construction, they all improve our quality of life.

In my individual case, enabling someone like me would have allowed me to carry out my research (electrical engineering) much more freely. As it stands, I can only work on it for 30 minutes (max) at a time and investments into it have to be in between buying food, medicine, and other basic needs (even though the total is only at ~$75us right now
). What has taken literally years to even get started would have only taken a week or two at most.

It takes away the excuses, because those excuses are very legitimate. There will still be people taking advantage of the system, but that is already a massive issue now. They would still take advantage like they always have, we would just be enabling those without a choice to perhaps choose otherwise. That choice currently doesnt exist.

I wish you the best in your endeavors. "May your steps be relentless."

edit on 24-2-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
you post was probably the nicest most measured post I've ever gotten online.. Yes I am writing a book. Changing all the names to protect the guilty and the inncocent and possibly satirizing it as well..

The govt makes hay by balming those weakest who don't have lobbyists.. and the people fall for it/
It's distraction politics as it keeps us from focusing on the crimes of the corporations.. I stopped caring about personailities in DC and started vieiwing it with the eye of the cynic..

Men are easily manipulated as long as they accept face value so easlily.. Me? I trust my gut.. my own eyes and my own discernments.. I am not here to pick brains as much as I am here to discern which of my conclusions have total merit.. It's not hard to do...

The DOJ FBI thread for one.. Not only is that true but that's the tip pf that iceberg..known for years that the non prosecution of rape , sexual absue and child trafficiking had an insidious and evil underpinning that went beyond money and control

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
900,000 choose to come off sickness benefit ahead of tests in UK
Nearly 900,000 people who were on incapacity benefit dropped their claim to the payments rather than undergo a tough medical test, latest government figures show.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Psychiatry in my humble blue collar opinion is the result of so many disability cases. The DSM has been so ever expanded that anyone can be labeled as disabled. It's a shame that the "Brother" labeling system has been taken over by the mental health profession. Once you start labeling people, they begin to believe it. It's on record and follows you throughout life.

Psychiatry is a plague and I feel it usefulness is routed in some type of conspiracy, to which I can't fully explain. Prior the the 20th century, you were either a complete psycho or a normal person. Now we have subtypes and stereotypes.

My background.....a schizophrenic mother and two years of mental health training. A childhood riddled with psychiatric issues is as good an observer than many trained professionals. I've seen so many horrible things as a child. Visiting in mental institutions, seeing people after shock therapy and many more atrocities.

Psychiatry is not a science. It's a scary test field. A complete practice in every meaning of the word. If the medications and treatment don't kill you, the totally mad will kill themselves.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join