It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has The Amazing Purpose Of Petrospheres AKA Neolithic Stone Balls Finally Been Discovered?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+79 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Let me say at the outset of this thread, that the following theory is my own, and does loosely touch upon my personal view that Humanity has endured cyclic periods of high technology, followed by cataclysmic decline, but this has absolutely nothing to do with ET or aliens in any way shape or form, so if you are expecting such discussion, this is the wrong thread.

Many examples of mysterious stone balls, of all sizes have been found across the world.

Many of us are familiar with the huge stone spheres discovered in places like Costa Rica ad many other places around the globe, some almost perfectly spherical, others slightly oval in shape, with the largest examples weighing in excess of 15 tonnes.

The stone balls that are the subject of this thread however, are much smaller and the examples discovered so far are almost exclusively found in Britain. The Majority of these stones are found in various places in Scotland, and are mostly spherical, some are oval and others are neither, but share characteristics of both.

The are thought to have been created mostly by the Celts and have been dated by experts to be as old as 3000 BC, although some are thought to be younger than this with the creation of these stones continuously being produced up until the early Iron age.

The sizes are almost always around 70mm (2.75 - 3.0 inches) though there are some exceptions with some being up to 115mm.

Historians have puzzled over the use and meaning of these stones, and while many theories have been offered, none have been firmly accepted. Theories range from spiritual meanings, tools, tribal council meeting 'speaking stones', a form of currency, weapons etc.

Here are some images of the stones.

Some of the stones are not spherical at all, like this interesting example;

Some of the stones are highly detailed, with many different surface details, the carving of which may have been done when the stone was first carved, or was added to existing stones much later by different tribes, such as the Celtic symbols and intricate lines on some, like this one has;

Although most of these stones have been found in Scotland, just recently, a highly ornate sphere has been discovered in an unused rice field in Costa Rica, much smaller than the stones commonly found there and is highly reminiscent of some of the more ornate Scottish stones, as can be seen here;

Now, my theory as to what these things might actually be representative of, and how it all ties in with a long forgotten period of high technology in our remote history.

First and foremost, for me, these stone objects represent life and fertility.

I am going to include another series of images, which when i compared them to the images i have posted of the Petraspheres, or Neolithic stone carvings...almost blew my mind!

It was a 'lightbulb moment', which does indeed raise certainly interesting, although very unorthodox questions.

Are you ready for a 'lightbulb moment'?

Here you are;

What you are looking at Ladies and Gentlemen, are images of microscopic POLLEN. Mostly tree pollen in fact.

The resemblance to the carved stones is...uncanny and compelling.

And the 'T' shaped carved stone, that looked a little like a Neolithic hammer?

Pollen too.

Coincidence? Anything is possible, but the amazing likeness between 'Life and fertility giving pollen', and the carved stones being found in Scotland and elsewhere, is very strange.

The obvious question arises, if the stones are indeed representations of pollen, how could Neolithic people see microscopic pollen grains in order to carve them on the macro scale...which brings me back to the question of higher technology, dissapeared from history and the minds of Mankind many thousands of years ago, that modern science can no longer recognise.

Thoughts?

edit on 6-2-2013 by MysterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Cool thread. I hadn't seen some of those artifacts before.

I admit, the resemblance is uncanny, but I imagine coincidental. The artifacts found look like weapons to me, whether fired from slings or catapults.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

have you heard about the theory, that our primal sludge couldnt have produce complex life without pollen from,, ahh! dont know the name in english, but the algae that is in the oceans, you know the harmful one. we call it blue algae,
and that the pollen amounts are so big that they traverse even space? pollen could indeed be the life giver..

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

very interesting indeed and a superbly put together post

having studied archaeology and both seen these items, and pollen under microscopes i observed this similarity too.

i find it entirely unlike however that the celts posessed the material technology to view pollen in any detail though - we would simply have some evidence of it. of course the celts were excellent metal workers and enamellers amongst other crafts, but i see nothing relating to microscopic viewing ability and that technology would at the very least have related items that we would have found, or that would most likely have been recorded/shared/stolen in some way.

however, as above, so below... there of course may be a mystic reason for the posession of such knowledge.

i look forwards to other replies on this - it should get really interesting

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I read that they are going to try to create a periodic table of reoccurring shapes. Shapes that seem to form over and over in this realm. Someone noticed that crystals can form in shapes that are almost flower like and they won some kind of award for their find....after being discredited and slammed up against the wall and fired initially. The shape was evident in some of the tapestry in India that people were making. It is possible that these pollen had an influence on the people that carved these stones.

We are influenced by what we sense and ape our creations to match what we sense. The pyramid shapes may have been created by the sensing of something that was pyramid in crystaline nature, possibly something in the water or in the food. Even pyramid shaped crystals floating in the air or possibly the atmosphere could cause us to build these structures. It is pyramid structures of minerals that form the sun halos. I guess this will never be known for sure.

I think you may be onto something there, the microbes in our body cause us to act a certain way as does the structure of the foods we eat. Maybe keeping in shape is more than we think

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I don't know if that is a coincidence or not, but the resemblances are very uncanny!

Very nice job on finding this OP.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

I vaguely remember a web site somewhere that was about spiritual adepts being able
to "see "down to the atomic level . They even drew some pictures.
Not sure what search terms to use in order to find the site.
Maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

Great thread and thanks for sharing. I didn't know about Celtic Balls (no chuckling!).

I hate to admit it but i am pretty stumped as to an explanation for them. The majority look like caltrops but there are two major problems with that for a theory. Firstly, the date of them - the first recorded use appears to be from the Battle of Gaugamela between Alexander the Great and Darius III of Persia (several thousand years after the 3000 BC date). And secondly would be the detail on them - they are far too artistic (and therefore time consuming) to be simply strewn over a battle field. Actually, a third problem would again be the date but a different reason - no large scale horse warfare in Britain that we know of in this time frame.

A proper mystery.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Those are bolo balls. They go on the ends of a bolo. A bolo is used for hunting. You spin it around and throw it. The balls wrap around the legs of your prey and stop it from running. As a kid I made many bolos and got quite good at throwing them. No mystery here. The grooves are for holding the stones in the bolo.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Robonakka

jeez, i so should have seen that - an excellent explanation!

this thread from a primitve skills forum contains many examples for reference

paleoplanet69529.yuku.com...

edit on 6-2-2013 by skalla because: ammended link to page with best pics of stone examples

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

ETA: these a modern crafted examples made in emulation of stone age culture's examples
edit on 6-2-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Robonakka

Possibility but seem too highly decorated for me to accept that as THE explanation (definitely at the top of possibilities for me though, so far).

Celtic weapon decoration tended to focus on the important bits of kit (shield, helmet, sword, spear), although admittedly not exclusively so. Certainly something to ponder.......

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
The resemblance is certainly uncanny! Interesting to say the least...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

the celts made functional items for battle, and decorative items for display of status, ref the battersea shield for a fine example

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

So then wouldn't you think these are too highly decorated to be the stones on bolas? It makes sense they are for that use but something "doesn't feel right" (highly scientific!) about that, to me at least - purely on the level of decoration.

For example, hunting spears are plain and functional. Burial spears , on the other hand, are highly decorative. Maybe burial bolas?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

well celts/proto-celts are well known for votive deposits though i dont know of any of these beoing found as such, but they could have been worn on a warrior's belt as he strutted around the hill fort in times of relative peace etc - heck, they could just have been hung on the wall next to his enemies skulls.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Well done. I need to come back to this after work to digest it more.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Here are my thoughts, The ancient Scotts better known as Celts worshiped Trees in many ways. The ancient practice of Druidism was almost entirely based on Trees and the "Battle of the Trees" (known as the Cad Goddeu) in which a hierarchy was formed. The chieftain of all trees is the mighty oak for example. The entire (originally)non written alphabet (which later became known as the Ogham alphabet once it began to be written in the 3rd or 4th century CE) consisted of strings of leaves, each leaf represented a letter and by reading the string an idea was conveyed. It was originally against the rules of belief to write things down so these strings were a "Work around" to that and they were kept in halls. This is where we get the terms "Halls of a library" and "leaves of a book"(referring to the pages). So you can see the importance of trees in this culture at this time in history and before.

I think it would be safe to say, with the amount of devotion given to trees that the pollen would be known to them either by observation or divination(their true practices are lost to us as the halls of leaves don't last long) that these balls could have been a form of ceremonial tool or physical symbol of a "Birth stone" as one was born under a tree rather than a sign. It could also be a form of senior final exam for moving into the world of practice from apprenticeship.

Most people believe that the Druids were surrounded with "Magic" and although it is true that ceremony and the like was a big part of the practice, Druids mostly helped in keeping time. They told the people when to plant, when to harvest, etc.(a proverbial walking farmers almanac). The Seed was seen as the origins of life and at its most basic level, life itself, therefore the pollen would be known to them as well, again how is unclear. It could have been as simple as a magnifying glass made of water to as complex as a spiritual vision or spirit walk within the realm of the tree spirits.

edit on 6-2-2013 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Has The Amazing Purpose Of Petrospheres AKA Neolithic Stone Balls Finally Been Discovered?,

I read your entire OP and while the resemblance is uncanny, you never at any point attempted to answer the proposed question in the title.

I get the idea that they resemble pollen but,
we are still left with the mystery as to what their purpose was.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

What a fascinating concept Rickymouse...kind of like homeopathy, but instead of the equivalent of something like 1 Billionth of a gram of a given chemical, being diluted over and over until there are no detectable amounts in the dilution (water memory) any more, yet still has an apparent effect on the patient..the influence on our psyche could come in the form of shapes and textures, tiny amounts, yet enough for the memory of the water contained within us to notice?

That's an even more amazing theory than mine..thanks.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join