It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom of speech.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
How do you see freedom of speech?

The freedom to use words, I suppose.

Did anyone of you came to the conclusion, it is also the freedom to be silent?

Since a lot here aren't stupid, there might have been who came to the conclusion. At least I did.

Is my conclusion right?
edit on 6-2-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angle

You just demonstrated that right by posting this.

That's one way.

As in " You have the right to remain silent and that anything you say...."?

Since a lot here aren't stupid, there might have been who came to the conclusion. At least I did.

Could I ask a question? Then if that's how you feel why write this thread? Whats the point?

Is my conclusion right?

Join an online discussion forum to espouse the virtues of being silent.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Well...He's demonstrated "freedom of speech" to a certain extent, but ATS reserve the right to delete his ass and his comments at any time, soo..

ETA: Also if he's from the grand US of A, his Government reserve the right to silence, kidnap, detain, torture or kill him without due process in accordance with "National security"....

In fact the more I type, the more I'm sure this so called "free speech" no longer exists lool.
edit on 6-2-2013 by ObservingYou because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I see freedom of speech mainly as the freedom to ask questions.
I am glad we have freedom of speech, but I often feel that people abuse this right to some extend, which is why we also see that many countries have laws against racism and such. However, there is nothing in this world which should not be questioned and this is of absolute impotence!

People often talk about freedom of speech if someone else feels offended by something. Which I think is both logical and fair. So if the intention wasn't to offend, but rather to educate, I am all for it. But if your attempt to educate resulted in offense, you might want to reconsider your method of communication. Also many seem to hide behind this right, and use it as a cover while they provoke their opponents, which I find most offensive.
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Freedom of speech is very important for individual liberty: no other right is as important as the right to think what you wanna think--and then talk about it freely.

Compare it to something like Mr HU in China who was taken from his home for speaking out against communism.

However the government reaction to free speech most probably is :-

edit on 6-2-2013 by inj3ct0r because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Freedom of speech is a basic fundamental right that shouldnt be restricted anymore than it presently is.

Here in the UK we're free to say what we want up to the point of inciting a crime.

Of course you can,if you're not careful land yourself with a charge for racist abuse if you're stupid and ignorant enough.

The right to express your opinion,to say what you believe,to say what has to be said particularly when it's not easy or popular,to ask questions are a basic human right that needs understood and protected.

Sometimes what we say may cause offence to someone but it shouldnt make us shy away from speaking up.There are times when saying nothing is the cowardly,weak course of action.

There are other times when if you've nothing worth saying then for god's sake just shut up

In the end of the day the freedom speech is fundamental and should not be restricted.

It is a double edged sword but you stand and fall on what you say,if you speak a great deal of bigotted,senseless crap then you'll soon show your true colours.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
We need freedom to be heard?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by fastbob72

Pshhtt, Can't say "boo" to copper over here without threat of arrest, fascist pigs.

ETA: For Slayer

Then if that's how you feel why write this thread? Whats the point?

Why do YOU feel the need to spend most your posts walking all over everbody elses posts, I'm seeing it quite often, frankly your not adding anything worth while your self.
edit on 6-2-2013 by ObservingYou because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Freedom of speech is the right to voice opinions and views which may be controversial or others may disagree with or even find offensive.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

Why do YOU feel the need to spend most your posts walking all over everbody elses posts, I'm seeing it quite often, frankly your not adding anything worth while your self.

Slayer seems to come across like that in many of his posts and I find myself disagreeing with him very often.

However he has the right to voice his opinions and thoughts even though I might find what he says disagreeable or wrong and I would never call for him to shut up or be silenced or the ethos of this site goes down the pan.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by Angle

That's one way.

As in " You have the right to remain silent and that anything you say...."?

can, and will be?

Could I ask a question? Then if that's how you feel why write this thread? Whats the point?

You couldnt, yet you did.. Freedom of speach??

Is my conclusion right?

Join an online discussion forum to espouse the virtues of being silent.

Definetly
, so impressed by yourself now.
edit on 6-2-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
reply to post by ObservingYou

Slayer seems to come across like that in many of his posts and I find myself disagreeing with him very often.

However he has the right to voice his opinions and thoughts even though I might find what he says disagreeable or wrong and I would never call for him to shut up or be silenced or the ethos of this site goes down the pan.

I agree, I'd never ask him to shut up, as we all have the right of "free speech"... It's just that, although my profile doesn't state so, I have been a member since the start of 2011...he used to be more responcible with his posts, now I see he just degrades other members with his reputation, but as I have pointed out, that's not really adding new content or useful information... It makes me rather sad.

If I'm noticing, maybe other member are to, so I'm just kindly reminding him.

I wonder if he knows who I am? From my old user name? .... Slayer?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Freedom of speech is the freedom to express yourself how you see fit.

If you want to be silent, you are free to do so.
If you want to express yourself in art, sculpture, dance, drawings, song, then you are also free to do so.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Freedom of speech is something you could never give away, It's inherent in you from the start. Speech is your own. Only a neurotic, childish and immature society (like America) would attempt to limit another's ability to say what is on their mind.
edit on 6-2-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The bill of rights is meaningless some people are under the illusion that they have the right of freedom of speech they don't as current events say some people have rights within whatever the government says they are.

When people join this site they do so after agreeing to TC conditions not quite the same thing as being born in a country where your rights clearly were defined hundreds of years before we were ever born.

edit on 6-2-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Cool thread, because it doesn't have to weigh on your thoughts.

I was thinking today, what is 'rap?' Many Many people would think 'black.'

Rap is poetry spoken with a musical bassline, and all good music has bass. So rap is only poetry with music. That is all rap is. So the only people who think rap is bad are the people who don't believe in rhythm or poetry, only.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Thx greyer. Threads like this make it more a community don't it.

new topics

top topics

join