Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Tsunami kills at least five in Solomons after big Pacific quake

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Sorry to start another thread but I thought that this news necessitated it's own title.

The worst damage was to villages on the western side of a point that protects the main township, he said.

"There are reports that some communities have been badly hit, their houses have been damaged by the waves."

About 5,000 people lived in and around the town, but the area was deserted as people fled to higher ground, Taula said.

So sorry for these people. I hope that there isn't any more quaking as this seems very serious.
Corrected Story
edit on 6-2-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)
edit on 6-2-2013 by GrantedBail because: The article was old. I have updated it.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

very sad news indeed, here is a link to the event via the BBC

news.bbc.co.uk...

reports are still coming in from the many small islands in the area

ETA: the above link is from the 2007 event, apologies... here is another news report from the current event

www.independent.co.uk...

sorry for sticking my foot in it and messing up the continuity of your thread
edit on 6-2-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Thanks for that. I found another article. News is sketchy and it appears from this article that I am about to post they will be no fly-overs until Thursday???

The worst damage was to villages on the western side of a point that protects the main township, he said.

"There are reports that some communities have been badly hit, their houses have been damaged by the waves."

About 5,000 people lived in and around the town, but the area was deserted as people fled to higher ground, Taula said.

Rueters

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Aw, geez man
I knew a little 1 meter wave was too good to be true. Those poor people

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Heck

this totally contrasts with what I read 30mins on CNN:

something about "5 people killed in Tsunami"

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I am so confused. I swore I read this earlier before I went to sleep and it was only a 3 ft wave and everything was ok, after a 8.1.
And is Hawaii ok..because it was before I went to sleep.

I feel like I went to sleep and woke up on the wrong timeline. Weird!

Or was there 2 of those big quakes?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

I am going to provide a snippet from your link as my op has some blatant errors in it.

Disaster officials in the Solomon Islands capital Honiara told the Solomon Islands Broadcasting Corp. that they believed six people were dead and that five villages had suffered damage.

Solomon Islands Police Commissioner John Lansley said it was too early to fully assess the damage or casualty numbers, and said authorities hoped to send aircraft to the region on Thursday to help determine the extent of the damage.

Corrected Story
edit on 6-2-2013 by GrantedBail because: Bad story...WEIRD

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Is that so, a 15 foot tidal wave?!

Imagine the ongoing surge inland, from something like that enveloping... ISLAND villages

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
The BBC and news10 links are from the 2007 event when it hit to the west of today's quake.
edit on 6-2-2013 by wujotvowujotvowujotvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
by the sounds of the reports so far, many made it to the safety of high ground in good time. relatively speaking the reports of fatalities are thankfully low so far, bearing in mind the number of islands and their small size as well as the population of some half a million.

they were affected by tsunami in 2007, which accoording to wikipedia, had waves of at least 5 metres in height and resulted in 52 fatalities

en.wikipedia.org...

my best wishes go out to all who are there, lets hope that the news doesnt get any worse

ETA: this link, which i mistakenly included in my first post contains a news report

news.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 6-2-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by wujotvowujotvowujotvo

how did i not notice that? apologies, will seek a newer one and ammend post accordingly - thanks for letting me know

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

It only affected the South Pacific. It wasn't going anywhere near Hawaii or the US.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
So there was, or wasn't a Tsunami?

Most of the news reports say the Tsunami s?) was cancelled...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by wujotvowujotvowujotvo

Totally strange
I read the stories that were uploaded tonight but when I went to post them and copy and paste everything, it got weird. Cue the twilight zone music.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Here is an article from NYT.

The low-lying Solomon Islands, however, were not spared. At least 100 homes in the community of Lata were completely destroyed by a surge of water, according to the Christian humanitarian organization World Vision. Water and electricity also remain down in the township, which is the capital of the Solomon Islands’ Temoto Province.

Government officials said that in addition to the four confirmed deaths in the islands, there were unconfirmed reports that some people in fishing boats were swept out to sea by the surge.

The majority of Lata’s residents have relocated to higher ground in central Lata, with many having done so before the sea surge. Even though the tsunami warning for the region was lifted, significant tremors were still being felt throughout Temotu Province.

By late Wednesday, water was still knee deep in parts of Lata.

Link

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Was there only one 8.1or was there 2?

Hubby said I was asleep 3 hours.

Twilight zone is right.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

The 8.1 was from 1 April 2007

earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/2007/us2007aqbk/

Today is a 8.0, but some chance to be downgraded to a 7.9 soon.

earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usc000f1s0.php

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Ahhh thanks.
That makes sense, but it was WEIRD. (and on top of it of my bank account showing adjustments from months ago,old charges, tonight while I was asleep taking off charges and putting them on like some crazy loop- I felt like time was collapsing on my sanity.)
edit on 6-2-2013 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

top topics

join