It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An experiment to try with your friends and family. Turn off the car audio.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
95% of the time, I don't listen to anything when I drive. I usually drive alone or with my S/O. I don't listen because I just don't think about it. When I have my sister with me, she exclaims EVERY time, 'how can you stand not listening to music while driving?". I simply tell her it doesn't occur to me to turn on the radio as my mind is very busy thinking. Usually we talk, but if there is any quiet time, she will start playing with the radio to find a station she enjoys. It doesn't bother me but it is surprising to see how others are so uncomfortable with silence. I have found that it isn't just the car either where people are uncomfortable in silence. Many people always have some sort of distraction in their homes as well. I guess everyone isn't as satisfied as I am, mired in my own thoughts of this and that. Or, many people are just uncomfortable being alone with their thoughts.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I most often have it off. Like peace and silence better than any kind of intrusion into it.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Lulz on this:

just as I don't complain when they listen to stuff that makes my brain crawl when in their car.

Slightly off-topic, but I once had a hated supervisor a bit younger than me who in a moment of actual self-awareness said, "I hate being alone". I bit my tongue but almost said, "I know, I hate being around you too."

The only kind of radio I seem able to tolerate now is talk radio; NPR or Coast to Coast back when I was driving home late from work. It's fun now getting C2C feeds on the internet devoid of all the interrupting commercials.

I've found people that have to have the teevee on all the time at home (the worst!) or the radio on mindless music while in the car are similarly mostly brain dead; sorry but if you have the chance to talk to someone without the 'distraction' of face to face, and you default to commercialized dreck, you're either lacking something inside, or you need new acquaintances. People should be more interesting than that, and be able to handle wide-ranging conversations on a variety of both light and heavy topics. There's something profoundly antsy and just plain wrong about a teenager or young adult who can't handle interior solitude. Maybe we've all been brain damaged by EM 'entertainment' lo these past 60 years.

And I would like to say that I'm now in love with the OP; I can't tell if you're young or old, but damn, what a beautifully insightful mind!
I'm jealous of your skill with words and long ranging thought processes.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I wanted to thank everyone that has participated today. Reading your replies has been insightful and interesting. I will be back after dinner to reply directly!

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
gather your housemates/family/close ones tonight. switch off all distractions.
sit around and allow everyone in turn to talk or otherwise communicate
(without judgement) for 5 uninterupted minutes in any way and in any matter they chose.

tomorrow repeat, but this time for ten minutes. continue.

the world has turned.

consider again your fellow be-ings.

and behold.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErgoTheConclusion
Some loved being with their thoughts, others hated it. Those who hated it on average also tended to be less interested in Patriot Act, NDAA, infinitely inflating debt, etc.

First off, this is far from a scientific conclusion, but more power to ya for trying to create some relation between listening to the radio/"mass media" and people's interests. This thread continued to substantiate the belief that this forum is filled with smugness.

Originally posted by VoidFire
We don't even watch media shows ... I think the only news channel that is watched in this house is BBC, anything else has been labled as crud

Originally posted by wjones837
I can't recall how many times I, or someone has brought up issues like what you mentioned, or issues of religion or other deep issues of life that every man should at least consider, and I hear the phrase "can we change the subject, I don't like talking about stuff like that if depresses me". The only sad thing is that there are those who like to avoid the inevitable.

Originally posted by TheNewRevolution
The radio, much like televisions, cell phones, the internet, and any other media, are nothing more than entertainment distractions. When they became widespread they became a detriment to society.

Now people generally have no time to think to themselves or they choose to fill in that void with a distraction.

Originally posted by abeverage
I turned mine to Classical years ago ... ridiculous bands created from the music machine have been turned into earworms.

Originally posted by Gridrebel
I simply tell her it doesn't occur to me to turn on the radio as my mind is very busy thinking. I guess everyone isn't as satisfied as I am, mired in my own thoughts of this and that. Or, many people are just uncomfortable being alone with their thoughts.

Originally posted by signalfire
I've found people that have to have the teevee on all the time at home (the worst!) or the radio on mindless music while in the car are similarly mostly brain dead.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ErgoTheConclusion

Interesting observation you have had there. While I can relate to the various views expressed here, I personally do not listen to the radio in the car; I listen to my own produced music or what would classify as underground music. I do enjoy listening to Coast to Coast, but that is usually on youtube. Now while I do enjoy the music bumpin in the ride, I do have my moments where I prefer no noise except for my inner thoughts with the sound of riding around with the windows down.

Let us remember that correlation does not prove causation.

Example in case: I know plenty of people who have an opposite taste in music; they are into the mainstream pop artist that most people are stating that they cannot stand. I have had many diverse conversations concerning current events, conspiracies, or any other types of topics we might find floating around this site (while driving).

Now I am drawing from my own experiences and observations. Quick background info to help out – I went back to college 3 years ago at the age of 27 and I speak openly in classes on topics that I think might be taboo to speak of publicly, only to find a lot of the students fresh from H.S. had input for, or some general knowledge of the topics. It changed my initial opinion that the youth were out of touch with reality.

Without testing this, it is hard to say for sure, but could it be…..

That….conspiracies…..are….becoming…..DUH! Duh! DUHHHH!!!!!

Part of Pop Culture?

Just imagine, we want to help make people aware through our methods (labeled conspiracy). One day the momentum shifts in our favor and it is now a “social norm.” Wait, I think we may be living in such times, not to the point of being a social norm just yet, but look at the popularity of conspiracy shows being aired, or shows that postulate a lot but never give a straight forward answer (yet manage to get the mind rolling). Then again this could all be by design of the Big 6 (in the USA).

Good topic by the way. Music is a powerful tool, always has been, always will be. The tools effectiveness is up to the person using it (good or bad). Sound waves, patterns, frequencies, and vibrations can all have an effect on our minds at the subconscious level.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
OP, you made a really great point. Ive noticed the effect of audio in my life as well. I work alone alot, and I find that even though the time passes quicker with noise, when its quiet i dont get as drained by the end of the day.

I think your on to something. Im not really sure why people feel the need to attack you when you make a very valid point.

I read somewhere that you can tell alot about somebody by how they handle silence.

We in north america are so bombarded by noise from all different directions that sometimes its hard to think. And Maybe thats the point...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Most of the time I ride a motorcycle. No radio, No MP3, No "nuthin". I prefer it that way. Occasionally when I drive the car I will listen to some old rock and roll. I don't care much for any kind of "talk radio".
BJ
farm9.staticflickr.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Going on this thought process then you should assume that those in the military are more aware the reason that would be so is because it is against regulations for military vehicles to have stereos. Some of us did bring boom box stereos into the vehicles but they couldn’t be wired directly to the vehicle and many of the vehicles were louder than any stereo you could bring.

That is just an observation. For some it will be counter intuitive. Honestly I don’t think listening to the radio is an indicator of anything about a person however the taste in music may be.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravisBickle451
First off, this is far from a scientific conclusion, but more power to ya for trying to create some relation between listening to the radio/"mass media" and people's interests. This thread continued to substantiate the belief that this forum is filled with smugness.

You could also try it for yourself for real and find out for yourself whether people are being smug or accurately describing an uncomfortable pattern.

Is it smug for those who have tried Calculus to want to discuss the difference in using it for certain math problems compared to those who use Geometry... and wind up concluding that Calculus users are more likely to be more aware of what is possible in mathematics than those who stick to Geometry?
edit on 6-2-2013 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by wjones837
But as far as your observations the past year, I can't say that all people who like "noise" are like that, but I don't see how one could truly think deeply about things if they always need a tv or radio in the background.

I would agree... I think it simply is more due to kind of a feedback loop... in that more time "in your head" means more time reflecting on what is going on around you *naturally* whether you are trying to or not by simple nature of the music taking up some of your attention no matter what. So that will be part of the breakdown... if you are listening to the sort of thing where people are talking all the time, almost all your attention will be on that. However if you are listening to classical music... your mind is more readily able to go into "contemplation" mode where you are reflecting on things with the music more flowing in the background.

To each their personal preferences of course for those who have chosen to be offended.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheNewRevolution
It is something that could help everyone find a little piece of themselves more often.

Considering I've watched a few people start turning it off themselves I think the experience in my car caused a few others to consider trying it out for themselves to see if it made a difference. As far as I know all three still leave it off.

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
I turned mine to Classical years ago because I was tired of outright stupid songs getting stuck in my head. I don't mind something I like stuck in there but ridiculous bands created from the music machine have been turned into earworms.

I get a similar response...UGH classical what are you a grandpa? UGH isn't there anything good on, UGH what kind of music is this???

Or wow what a delightful change from that crap...

Classical was my first stop before turning off too. My girlfriend made fun of me but still wound up enjoying it. But eventually the silence wound up being the most "enjoyable" state over the long run but when I do turn it back on for any amount of time Classical is my go to again.

Though I listened to more classical in high school than anything else so my perceptions there certainly have a bias, heh.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I simply tell her it doesn't occur to me to turn on the radio as my mind is very busy thinking.

I think that's something that took a while for my girlfriend to really get too... was just how active and interesting the "concert" in my head was when I gave it a chance to have some air time... and I really have found I like it more than anything I can play on a radio.

But how to communicate that to someone else who says they are "bored" when it is silent? I guess it's kinda like someone who goes to the woods and is "bored" versus someone who has gone exploring in the woods and already forgot there was a cabin.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
I listen to a lot of sports talk radio when I'm driving around town by myself.

As far as when I have passengers in the car, I always try to have some upbeat dance or party music to jam to unless there's an important conversation to be had.

Daft Punk is awesome. I know you won't believe me, but I saw the Homework Tour in NYC.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

My husband has an addiction to "background noise". He is actually on his way home from a business trip right now and chose to drive. I just talked to him, and he said he couldn't stand that he was in an area with no radio stations. I told him to enjoy the silence for once, and he said it was giving him anxiety. I personally think it's ridiculous. I do listen to the radio sometimes, but most of the time it is off. I'm the opposite, and I actually get anxiety when it's on too much. I tend to just flip out and turn it off when I'm with someone in the car.

People that have to have background noise on, imho, aren't in tune with themselves or the world. They are the type of people who never ask questions, never think for themselves, can't focus, and actually have more medical problems from what I have observed.

The world needs more peace and quiet to listen to. Yes, even quiet is something to "listen to".

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Slightly off-topic, but I once had a hated supervisor a bit younger than me who in a moment of actual self-awareness said, "I hate being alone". I bit my tongue but almost said, "I know, I hate being around you too."

Haha... I honestly wonder what would have happened if you had said it. You never know... might have opened a whole doorway to a connection that you never knew was there, he just needed someone to be straight with him.
Or he would have griped at you for being smug.

I've found people that have to have the teevee on all the time at home (the worst!) or the radio on mindless music while in the car are similarly mostly brain dead;

I know why you say brain dead but I actually think they are going a million miles an hour too... but the *only* source for new information to "contemplate" is from a TV, radio, phone, or tablet from the primary sources... so it's in hyper drive to constantly seek and absorb new information but is "stuck" with only a few options and stuck in whatever narrative. Not because they aren't capable... but simply because that's what has been the focus for "learning about the world" for as long as they remember.

For example I was frustrated with some of my co-workers because all they ever wanted to talk about was sports and whenever I would crack a philosophical joke that related to the game scenario they were talking about it was met with blank stares because it just wasn't on their radar. However it is very clear they are actually *very* sharp... about that particular thing (and better than me in their own ways out our identical roles at the company).

This is why the poster getting uppity about "smug" is kinda aiming at the wrong way and missing the real point... which is there are two primary social directions you can aim your attention and thus "expertise" of your mind and ability to reflect and contemplate... one is by focusing on "pop culture"... the other is to try to look "past pop culture". It's not good or bad... there is stuff to learn in both... but I think we'd all be lying if we didn't admit that those who try to focus on non-pop culture are still more aware of pop-culture than those who focus on pop-culture are aware of non-pop culture.

Different skills.

And I would like to say that I'm now in love with the OP; I can't tell if you're young or old, but damn, what a beautifully insightful mind!
I'm jealous of your skill with words and long ranging thought processes.

Well now yer just crazy but thank you as that is very meaningful and heart warming. I'm old to the young and young to the old at 36.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
Going on this thought process then you should assume that those in the military are more aware the reason that would be so is because it is against regulations for military vehicles to have stereos. Some of us did bring boom box stereos into the vehicles but they couldn’t be wired directly to the vehicle and many of the vehicles were louder than any stereo you could bring.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised... and I do think our soldiers are on average having a better chance to become aware due to the long periods of contemplation and thinking about "what's going on, why, what else could I be doing? why aren't I?" etc instead of "I wonder if X will be picked" and running through all the reasons they will or won't be picked on tonight's episode. It's just downright different "things" to focus on.

Originally posted by Grimpachi
That is just an observation. For some it will be counter intuitive. Honestly I don’t think listening to the radio is an indicator of anything about a person however the taste in music may be.

Your last sentence is what I was actually keying in mostly. It's that those who are already interested in non-pop culture were also already generally more interested in silence or "soothing" music... and those interested in pop-culture were also preferring to have something saying anything. That was the pattern and it was just down to personality... but it's hard to know if it's the personality or once the "pop-culture" focusers start looking outside of it... if they too will begin to prefer more silence or "quiet" of some form.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by osirys
OP, you made a really great point. Ive noticed the effect of audio in my life as well. I work alone alot, and I find that even though the time passes quicker with noise, when its quiet i dont get as drained by the end of the day.

I think your on to something. Im not really sure why people feel the need to attack you when you make a very valid point.

If you've not experienced it yourself (or in others) consantly, it's pretty easy to dismiss. Thank you for sharing yours!

I read somewhere that you can tell alot about somebody by how they handle silence.

I would tend to agree though it's so nuanced that I would fail to tread it safely here.

We in north america are so bombarded by noise from all different directions that sometimes its hard to think. And Maybe thats the point...

Yeah the post I made earlier saying that I picked the wrong initial time zone to start the thread in has turned out to be more true than I thought in the course of watching the responses, heh.
I think it is a significantly higher American thing when it comes to cars for extended periods of time specifically. On trains and buses you typically use headphones so you don't get quite the "communal" discussion on what to listen to or not and everything that comes with that sort of discussion for the next 2 hours.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join