Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

My First Comet ISON Timelapse Video: In Visible as well as Infrared Light

page: 1
22

log in

join
+10 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Yeah ok, so I threw in some infrared imaging in between visible light images in order to head-off any pseudoscience claims that this comet is in fact a "brown dwarf" or that a brown dwarf is "hiding behind it" or other such silly nonsense. I think the time lapse came out nicely. I looped each segment several times, first at native resolution cropped to 1920x1080 around the comet (best viewed full screen HD), then at 2x bicubic resampling.

www.youtube.com...




posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Pretty cool man..

nice job.



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter
 


hiya, forgive the amateurish question but is the comet the very bright object in the centre-right of the screen?
also what compelled you to make this video - are there particular features about this comet and it's flight path that drew you to it, and will it be visible with the naked eye from anywhere?

really nice choice of music by the way



jra

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
hiya, forgive the amateurish question but is the comet the very bright object in the centre-right of the screen?


It's actually in the center and quite faint. It moves from left to right.


also what compelled you to make this video - are there particular features about this comet and it's flight path that drew you to it, and will it be visible with the naked eye from anywhere?


Here is a Wiki article on the comet: C/2012 S1 (ISON). It's being predicted to be a rather bright comet, visible to the naked eye around October/November of this year when it loops around the Sun. There have been a few threads on this comet here on ATS already.

And nice work ngchunter. I assume you'll be doing more over the coming months (especially when it gets closer)?



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Superb ngchunter!



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter
 


Very nice video, ngchunter.

I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of this comet, later this year.
From all the information I've read, it will be quite the sight to see.
Supposedly twice the magnitude of a full moon, which is impressive.
I forsee alot of doomsday prophecy surrounding it, and the such.


Thanks for the great "sneak" peek and keep up the good work!







posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Slight correction everyone, all times in the video are actually UT -7 hours. I forgot that itelescope saves the files with the local time, not UT.

Originally posted by jra
And nice work ngchunter. I assume you'll be doing more over the coming months (especially when it gets closer)?

Absolutely! It's still quite faint and distant of course, but I'm going to start imaging it with my own equipment as soon as I get the chance.



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter
Yeah ok, so I threw in some infrared imaging in between visible light images in order to head-off any pseudoscience claims that this comet is in fact a "brown dwarf" or that a brown dwarf is "hiding behind it" or other such silly nonsense. I think the time lapse came out nicely. I looped each segment several times, first at native resolution cropped to 1920x1080 around the comet (best viewed full screen HD), then at 2x bicubic resampling.

www.youtube.com...



WOW great work! Where is the comet at right now? We have had an inversion and bitter cold so I have not been out with my 5" scope at all. I have been hoping to get a few photos of this comet when it is closer!



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter
 


Excellent stuff NGC!

I have just bought an intervalometer for doing time lapse with comet Ison in mind.
I hope its as spectacular as people are saying it will be.

Can't wait!



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
WOW great work! Where is the comet at right now? We have had an inversion and bitter cold so I have not been out with my 5" scope at all. I have been hoping to get a few photos of this comet when it is closer!

It's in the constellation Gemini at the moment. Hope your weather improves!



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Originally posted by abeverage
WOW great work! Where is the comet at right now? We have had an inversion and bitter cold so I have not been out with my 5" scope at all. I have been hoping to get a few photos of this comet when it is closer!

It's in the constellation Gemini at the moment. Hope your weather improves!


Great images!

I'm seriously looking at getting a new equatorial mount for my 6 inch reflector for my youngest son to use for later this year when ISON is a lot closer.

Only found one place that has tube rings that fit a 6 inch tube (152mm) at a reasonable price (under 30 dollars...most other places are over a hundred dollars for them, or don't carry that size.....).



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Originally posted by abeverage
WOW great work! Where is the comet at right now? We have had an inversion and bitter cold so I have not been out with my 5" scope at all. I have been hoping to get a few photos of this comet when it is closer!

It's in the constellation Gemini at the moment. Hope your weather improves!


We are expecting a storm this Friday so if that blows this crap out and clears the sky I will bundle up and see what I can see. I have yet to take any deepsky objects mostly Saturn and Jupiter so I am not sure how well it will turn out. I am horrible at perfect alignments and it is a portable scope.
edit on 6-2-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jra
 


If its not the bright object then I cant see it at all lol

edit....ok I just watched it full screen I can see it now

snf
edit on 6-2-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
If that thing is really as bright as a full moon we will be in for the treat of a millenium..

How cool is that gonna be?



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
If that thing is really as bright as a full moon we will be in for the treat of a millenium..

How cool is that gonna be?
proper proper proper proper cool.

That's how cool.

Nice one for the video ngch, I look forward to future videos if you do them. can't wait for this beast to come by, hope it puts on the show they predict.



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
This Iis so exciting! I can't wait for October / November !



posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
That is most excellent!!


Thanks so much for sharing this, I really enjoyed it!



posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Nice work... need to bookmark this thread and get ready for when a million doom threads about this comet start in September/October.



Khar





new topics

top topics



 
22

log in

join