It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Therapy pets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Evening ATS.

Toastman is here to ask for some well garnered advice from the community in regards to a therapy animal. The psychologist I'm seeing has recommended to me that animal therapy is a good way for people with Asperger's and other ASDs to establish connections and maybe boost my self-esteem/confidence. And this Toast loves them some critters.

I've made a deal with my grandma that if I can get a job, she will help me pay for a therapy animal and essential supplies, but I would like some suggestions on what animal to get.

-Dogs are out of the question. My family already has a dog, but he belongs to my stepdad and is getting on in years. Since my real dog, Rudy, died, I've tried to connect with him, but Gunner is very skittish due to my younger siblings hanging off him and him being conditioned as a hunting/working dog.

-No cats either. My mom cannot stand cats, even though we had several when I was young, and threatens to kill anyone she sees. To combat my kitty needs, I've placated myself with stuffed toy cats and those of my family.

-No reptiles, as my room gets very cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

-No fish: I have had fish, bettas to be exact. I still lament the loss of poor Salvador. Also: Grill tongs are not good for grabbing a fish that had flopped down a disposal drain.

-No small rodents: We already have a mouse problem in the house, and my mom is not to keen on rabbits since the experience with taking care of a class pet.

The animals I have been looking at are either a smallish, yet fairly quiet bird such as diamond doves:

or a cockatiel:

But then my stepmom suggested to me either a sugar glider:

or a chinchilla:

As I said, any suggestion is helpful.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
A Potbelly Pig
I Don't know why first thing i thought of, i mean... they always need attention..ALWAYS more then a dog in a way but more so a care way, they can go and do pretty much what you would do about in your day.

They have few types; Teapot, vietnamese potbelly pig.. All vary.

All depending how they are cared for can make really great pets if you have the time and motive. They can be house trained and all, or outside.. .but in regards they are messy either way.. always picking up after them..but they are quite a loving pet. =P

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

Since the object of you getting a pet is connecting with yourself, and with your new friend. I would think starting with a small pet, you can easily take care of, is a good option. Another puppy may stress the older established family dog. Love comes in all sizes, and is a 2 way street when it comes to animals,

A small animal that resides primarily in an enclosed home/cage may be the best for you to start with. When you aren't home, your companion will be safe. Just make sure you get a roomy home for it, and provide plenty of affection, play time out of a cage with you.

Chinchillas have delicate systems, and are expensive to buy. One of the softest animals I've ever touched.

This may sound crazy to you, but, one of the smartest pets I ever had was a rat. Very hardy pets, and lovable as can be. Did I mention they are sooooo smart. They love human touch and affection, you can train them to do tricks too!
My pet rat was black and white, like he was wearing a little tuxedo. I named him Ritz the Rat. All my friends loved him too. Ritz loved going everywhere with me riding in my pocket or riding on my shoulder.

Ferrets are a lot of love too. They are sharp little guys, but can have a lot of health problems, and they have a natural musky scent.

That's just some of my suggestions......good luck finding the perfect new friend....

Des

edit on 5-2-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Do you like to pet an animal and cuddle; have it be your buddy and have the animal sleep on your bed? I am asking this because I am just wondering what sort of interaction you want and need from a pet. I get the feeling that you would really like a dog; but that your relatives are against it.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
You could try a Capuchin Monkey. They are usually pretty friendly however if you are a female DO NOT get a male one.

They will try to dominate you. If your male it doesn't matter.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Oh my God, sugar gliders are the most adorable little things!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever pet you decide on, get all the information you can before taking them home. You'd be surprised how much more you can learn about them.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

I highly recommend a dwarf variety of rabbit... the rex has a great temperament.

They can be litter trained, they aren't needy, they are silly and have a great sense of humor. They're inexpensive to feed and they love to be pet.

Given a little education, a whole new world of understanding is opened to these wonderful pets. I've kept house rabbits for years, they're wonderful! (Just don't mix the girls up with the boys
)

Here are a couple of links to research rabbits as pets further:

www.rabbit.org...
www.binkybunny.com...
language.rabbitspeak.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Y3K89

My family has a bad track record with pigs, as some of them are pig farmers and mainly raise meat hogs.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Spookycolt

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have a monkey in my younger brother

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I like petting and cuddling animals as they make me feel calm. Also I like giving my pets a lot of attention and affection.

top topics

join