It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALERT- Big quake- Santa Cruz- 8.0!! Alert Northern Australia Coast- Beware Tsunami

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Im most worried about this sending some pressure on around.

Been watching some hawaii and mammoth lakes, california seismographs.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
tvnz.co.nz...

3:35pm - ONE News has spoken to Charles Ngali who is in Lata Hospital in the Solomon Islands.

He says he felt a series of strong earthquakes. The hospital is on high ground but he has heard that a wave passed through the airport, which is on lower ground.

Most of the patients at Lata Hospital have been taken to higher ground.

3:30pm - AFP reports villages in Solomon Islands have been destroyed after a tsunami hits the island nation.

3:25pm - The South Pacific French territory of New Caledonia has warned that a tsunami could hit its eastern coastline.

Residents near the coast were being advised to evacuate immediately with the tsunami forecast to reach shores around 0300 GMT.

3:15pm - A tsunami measuring 0.9 metres (3ft) has hit the Solomon Islands following an 8.0 quake.

3:10pm - The New Zealand High Commission in Honiara says it "is in the process of relocating its consular staff".

A 8.0 quake has struck at a very shallow depth of 5km and was located 340km east of Kira Kira in the Solomons.

edit on 5-2-2013 by Blahable because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I've got the buoy center up on one of my large screens. It appears that the 1/2 meter or so, increase in water column height reached it's apogee at about 01:48 and is decreasing.
www.ndbc.noaa.gov...
This buoy is 370 NM North West of Apia Samoa.
edit on 5-2-2013 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
A powerful 8.0-magnitude earthquake struck the Solomon Islands in the South Pacific on Wednesday, reportedly flattening villages and prompting a “potentially destructive” tsunami wave. The epicenter of the tremor was located at a shallow depth of 5.8 km in the area of the Santa Cruz Islands, the US Geological Survey reports. It was shortly followed by two strong aftershocks – one rated at magnitude 6.4 and another at 6.6. A tsunami wave measuring 0.9 meters reportedly hit the Solomon Islands. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a tsunami warning for the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Tuvalu, New Caledonia, Kosrae, Fiji, Kiribati, and Wallis and Futuna islands.

rt.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

but this rang the whole planet.

Another shift of the earths axis, I wonder?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Wow, they just got hit from their 9th EQ, this one is a 5.6 and is a lot deeper at 32.5.
Not much difference in depth from the Hawaii EQ at 37.2

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
This is fromEarthquake-Report:

Update 02:44 UTC : ONE News has spoken to Charles Ngali who is in Lata Hospital in the Solomon Islands. He says he felt a series of strong earthquakes. The hospital is on high ground but he has heard that a wave passed through the airport, which is on lower ground. Most of the patients at Lata Hospital have been taken to higher ground.

It sounds like the airport may have some tsunami damage.
edit on 2/5/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
For those of us that are late to join this thread, can someone please give out the link that shows the EQ's happening in real time?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it...

Thanks!
edit on 5-2-2013 by csuldm because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2013 by csuldm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
Hopefully this isnt the fat lady singing for the ring of fire.

Been watching USGS like a hawk for several months now... been glued to every single one of TA's threads. I just want to say that TA's attention to these event is something that i value greatly and if i ever get rich im gonna write him a check.

Especially when he made this thread minutes before the quake even struck. Way to seize the moment. I agree though, TA has some good threads!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Update to ABC News just now:

1:51pm: New Zealand's Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management has issued a potential threat advisory for North Cape, Auckland West, East Cape, Gisborne, Auckland East, New Plymouth, Wellington.

People in coastal areas are urged to note that a tsunami is possible.

Link

edit on 5-2-2013 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
[

Especially when he made this thread minutes before the quake even struck. Way to seize the moment. I agree though, TA has some good threads!

No doubt about that, truly amazing .

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
My eyes are on japan as well

www.ustream.tv...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I'm curious as to why these quakes are going deeper and deeper.

Is this normal?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

Thanks, but I am no magician. I just have a program and I monitor the whole pacific ring of fire pretty much every day as I can. So what happened is I saw the initial P-waves, and because I had been paying attention all week to all these quakes there, I knew roughly what size the previous ones were, and already had a P&S differential profile going for the area relative to station IU.HNR. So it was a no brainer for me that this one was huge. Before I even saw the S-wave part of the quake, this thread was up.

I just want to be clear that I am just monitoring live off the seismos, and see the same info that all the other agencies see. I just report it a bit quicker, and obviously, without all the tech info. And this is a tough spot cause that station is some 600 km or more away from the quake swarm area, making it difficult to estimate magnitudes there. I'm just an amateur.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
you do a great job. keep it up and thank you.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Here in California they want this but maybe we could just hire you instead.

California weighs $80 million early warning system that would give residents up to 60 seconds’ notice of an earthquake

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Hey TA,

You did a great job there, it's because of your thread I have issued tsunami warnings to friends and family here in Papua New Guinea.

Not much was felt here for EQ's, but a bit concerned about the tsunami warning.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Update to ABC News just now:

1:51pm: New Zealand's Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management has issued a potential threat advisory for North Cape, Auckland West, East Cape, Gisborne, Auckland East, New Plymouth, Wellington.

People in coastal areas are urged to note that a tsunami is possible.

Link

edit on 5-2-2013 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

i live in auckland new zealand,
so far there has been no escalation of warning other then to stay away from beaches and out of the water.
the wave should reach us about 6.30 to 7.00 tonight (about 3 hours)

and it is advertised at 0.9 mtrs high.
possable unpredictable tides and surges but no real damage predicted,
but we are on alert and civil defence is up and running

i hope all are safe in the Solomon islands and australia and the pacific islands ect.

xploder
edit on 5-2-2013 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Yes I am in Cairns,

Not expecting any tsunami though.

thanks for the thread!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I think it's going to be a wild night with lots of little quakes.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join