It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anger/Depression: A new, positive way of thinking needed. Help!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by InTheLight

Much knowledge can lead to despair, but maybe wisdom fills that void.

I suppose it's a path, rather than a destination.

The ills of our world can be what makes us strive to improve our lot.

I fear only a few really devote themselves to that end.

But I recognize that the fact that they do, is encouraging.

And I suspect that among them are those who suffer from depression too.

I found your words very insightful.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sacgamer25

Thank you for your definition of the difference between a Christian and a follower of Christ. Most people don't believe there is a difference. Christ instructed us on how we should live. Paul instructed us in guilt.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Could applying electrical current to the brain be the cure for some? There is also an informative video at the link.

The approach is far from unprecedented; tDCS has been used by the military to improve training efficiency of snipers and drone pilots. More recently, it has generated noticeable buzz in the science world as potential treatment for a variety of disorders.

"When you give a medication, it goes everywhere in brain," Berman said. "But with techniques like tDCS, you can identify neuronal circuits that aren't functioning the way you want."

abcnews.go.com...
edit on 9-2-2013 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I had an interesting expierience the other day, as I am trying to deal with depression also and for about three years thought positive thinking would be the only way out. I think I misunderstood the concept though, because I thought one would have to force the positive thought upon oneself no matter what (you know, it's the entire dilemma if you read a lot and know a lot and you still are unable to apply it to your own life, you get easily frustrated and yell at yourself: You know better! How can you still be where you are!) Sigh. So when that didn't work it made me feel even more like a failure.
I read a lot about relaxing and "allowing the well-being into one's life" and it was frustrating because I didn't seem to be able to do so even through meditation. Then one day I read something that felt for me like the missing link about "allowing". It was not that you would have to allow the positive thoughts into your life but allow the bad ones as well. So when a bad feeling (it's fear and panic for me mostly) came, I just said for the very first time in my life: "You (feeling) are allowed to be here. It's okay. You can be here. It's okay." Instead of blaming myself for not being able to avoid and handle it as I usually do. I just sat and let it be and for the first time I felt like the feeling wasn't able to swallow me, like it had lost a big part of it's power and I was not in the middle of it but standing a bit aside being more able to watch it instead of being consumed by it. It was a very relieving feeling that came with it, a warmth inside I hadn't felt before. Ever since then I am trying to do that with every single negative thought and feeling. It is a lot of work, but every time I feel relief I tell myself: GOD JOB!
I don't know where it will lead me, but I wanted to tell you anyway, because in moments like this every tiny bit of relief just feels like heaven.

Hugs to you.
Emarie.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Dear RooskiZombie,
I understand how you are feeling.....honestly, I do.
You have received some very good advice here from others, regarding diet, meditation, etc.

About a year ago I bought a book....but didn't read it until recently. It helped me more than anything that I had read, heard or tried in the past. It helped me understand myself....and also helped me to change how I think.
That was the part I couldn't change before.....how I think!

I am feeling much better lately and I credit this one book (and author) for my.....breakthrough (for lack of a better word).
The title is, "Why People Don't Heal...and How They Can" by Caroline Myss, PhD.

Personally, I have not paid much attention when others have offered "self help" books....but this one gave me the understanding and tools (so to speak) to put closure to my painful and abusive past.

I truly hope that you find what you need, to heal and move forward with your life. You're not alone.
jacygirl

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Emarie

I really appreciate your input Em, it's wonderful that you've taken steps and have found success with it. It's awful when you feel your emotions just swallow you whole and take over and your advise on just "allowing the bad feelings too" is something that I haven't tried. It's hard not to beat myself up when I have good days and then take a few steps back and have a low day but I will definitely try your method. I still look to this thread and my little notesheet with some tips on here to help me on days that I just can't even face the world. Such a great help from everyone.

jacygirl, I am always up for a good read. Someone gave me the Secret but I've been avoiding it since it seems a wee bit cliche.. I don't know. But if you're like me and not super comfortable with those self-help books I'd love to check it out.

Just a quick update on how things have been going; I usually eat pretty healthy or at least balance any "bad foods" out with something good but have taken to avoid more and more bad stuff lately and have been taking a steady dose of Vitamin d3 and b12 which was pretty good in terms of giving me that energy that i've been drained of but something that has worked wonders for me has been Valerian Root. I've been reading a lot of the studies on it done in Europe and it's been shown to have an effect on people with Anxiety and moderate depression. They suggest taking it for 2 weeks straight and I've only been taking it for about a week and I can feel a tremendous change. I'm not as short tempered and I have an easier time letting go of negative thoughts and not to mention sleep much better. I would highly suggest trying it out, even as a tea or capsule!

It's a challenge every day, some days are easier and some days I feel at the verge of needing the psych ward but I just try to work through it and take what ever time it needs to pass. My partner has been incredibly supportive and I think he is the one who can notice a difference in me trying at least as he even points out we hardly fight anymore. For me, it's just taking it a day at a time. If I think too far ahead I can't even imagine making it through but today i'm doing my best to make a choice to better my life and myself as an individual.

Once again, thank you everyone who gave supportive and helpful advice. You have no idea how much I need it.

edit on 16-3-2013 by RooskiZombi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join