It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3-year-old S.C. boy killed after mistaking pink handgun for toy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kentucky75

Originally posted by jessejamesxx
They just have to have something to blame this on. Its never the parents, it's the pink gun with the lazer, that was kept loaded and accessible to children. Not to mention, it sounds like a round was chambered already. I don't think the kids figured that one out yet, and if they did, they would know it wasn't a toy.

Ban them coloring the guns

Yeah, that's what we need. A law saying which colors our weapons can't be.

edit on 5-2-2013 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

Well honestly why not?
Is there some medical reason or specific reason why a person would need a pink gun or a red gun or a pretty big bird yellow model?
Only reason a person would want a gun colored that way is cause they think it's pretty.
NEW'S flash kids think bright color's are cool too...

Camo guns are ok..there for hunting.on a side note..they have a reason to be camouflaged..

There is no reason in this world other than vanity reason's why a person would need a crayola brand colored hand gun sorry.

edit on 5-2-2013 by Kentucky75 because: (no reason given)

Should we not allow cars to be black? Kids might not see them at night and get run over....because the driver didn't have the headlights on and was driving twice the speed limit.

That's an analogy. If the gun is in a place a child can get to it AND it's loaded, AND there's one in the chamber, it doesn't matter what color the gun is. If any of those 3 other things hadn't of happen, the color of the gun would be non-issue.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Hmmm...

A Glock 22 painted in a Barbie or My Little Pony or Marvel comics theme... what a great marketing strategy...

Freeze ***hole, or I'll blast your brains out with my Green Lantern special edition !

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jessejamesxx

I agree that all it takes it the gun to be somewhere a child can get to it, but it dang sure doesn't help matters if the gun looks like a toy. It doesn't need to be a law, but perhaps gun manufacturers could use a little more common sense when they come up with a terrible idea like making a pink gun.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I see a lot of stories where little kids steal they're parents cars. We should definitely brush over that apparent parenting issue and start making cars unappealing to children. The colors they come in are too attractive to children. Does anybody really need a red car? I think the government should mandate that all cars to be dirt brown and outlaw spoilers and led lights or anything else too "hot-wheelsy".

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Why all the fuss about the color of the gun? Even if the gun was black or silver the end result probably would have been the same. Kids have accidents with all types of guns thinking they are toys. Which is why parents should be responsible with where they keep them.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   

Originally posted by danneu89
reply to post by Kentucky75

So first, they want to ban all guns that look like military guns.
Now you say we should ban guns that look the opposite of military guns?

Not Me i never said ban military looking guns heck id let you own hand grenade's if i could ...
But like i said there is no reason to make the hand grenades more girl friendly and Peerty and make them look like Twinkies..cause eventually a fat person would put it in his mouth.

It's a analogy ..Why church up something meant not to be a toy?
It's a tool for your defense and to hunt food..nothing more.

They have a ban in a way already..all toy guns have to have a red or orange tip on them.
or they can not sell them.
So you think if a kid see's a red or orange gun laying around somewhere he wont pick it up and shoot it?

link   

I see a lot of stories where little kids steal they're parents cars. We should definitely brush over that apparent parenting issue and start making cars unappealing to children. The colors they come in are too attractive to children. Does anybody really need a red car? I think the government should mandate that all cars to be dirt brown and outlaw spoilers and led lights or anything else too "hot-wheelsy".

One of the many reasons anti-gun advocates are still laughing.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

They just have to have something to blame this on. Its never the parents, it's the pink gun with the lazer, that was kept loaded and accessible to children. Not to mention, it sounds like a round was chambered already. I don't think the kids figured that one out yet, and if they did, they would know it wasn't a toy.

Ban them coloring the guns

Yeah, that's what we need. A law saying which colors our weapons can't be.

Well honestly why not?
Is there some medical reason or specific reason why a person would need a pink gun or a red gun or a pretty big bird yellow model?
Only reason a person would want a gun colored that way is cause they think it's pretty.
NEW'S flash kids think bright color's are cool too...

Camo guns are ok..there for hunting.on a side note..they have a reason to be camouflaged..

There is no reason in this world other than vanity reason's why a person would need a crayola brand colored hand gun sorry.

Should we not allow cars to be black? Kids might not see them at night and get run over....because the driver didn't have the headlights on and was driving twice the speed limit.

That's an analogy. If the gun is in a place a child can get to it AND it's loaded, AND there's one in the chamber, it doesn't matter what color the gun is. If any of those 3 other things hadn't of happen, the color of the gun would be non-issue.

Put 100 kids in a room with 2 unloaded guns.

1 normal color
2nd hot pink with elmo on it..all peerty..

I bet you you don't have kid's or you would know the outcome of that scenario.

as for ya it shouldn't have been loaded comment....common honestly...
I love guns i do..but people do stupid stuff...and one of them is keeping gun loaded..99% say well if someone does break in i wont have time to load it...and you know the type as good as i do.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by thudpuddy

ROFL I have to say it.... I think your onto something here Thud.... LOL though in lew of the seriousness of the thread I will refrain w/ anymore jokes as this is very sad for any parent to loose a child, even a irresponsible parent at that.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Reply to post by Kentucky75

One kid would grab the colored gun and one would grab the normal gun. They would probably end up playing cops and robbers lol. Either way you leave kids with guns they will play with them.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I didn't mean to imply that you were anti-gun. I was just pointing out the irony of the whole situation. Although I do disagree with the guns are only for self defense or hunting thing. I do competition shooting and people who have guns for competition only tend to paint them in neon colors or ridiculous camo patterns because it's a gun made to shoot at paper only. Just trying to express themselves through the paint job of their gun the same way they do through the way their car looks or the styles of clothes they wear. It just comes down to being a responsible gun owner. If you have a pink gun, or any gun and a kid in the same house, you have to keep it out of reach of the kid. Bad parenting, plain and simple.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Hmmm...

A Glock 22 painted in a Barbie or My Little Pony or Marvel comics theme... what a great marketing strategy...

Freeze ***hole, or I'll blast your brains out with my Green Lantern special edition !

that's my argument here
www.ar15.com...&page=3
Look hello kitty ar 15's..those don't just beg a little kid to grab em huh

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Put 100 kids in a room with 2 unloaded guns.

1 normal color
2nd hot pink with elmo on it..all peerty..

I bet you you don't have kid's or you would know the outcome of that scenario.

The kids would play with the unloaded guns, maybe more with one than the other. But they're unloaded, like they should be when kids are around, so no one got hurt. That's the outcome of that scenario.

It takes strength to put rounds in a magazine, my girlfriend can barely do it. It takes a lot of strength to pull the slide back and chamber a round, my girlfriend can't even do it. And then it takes about 11lbs of pressure to pull the trigger, when there is no trigger lock on it. Do you see all of the variables here that are about 100x more important than the color of the gun?

None of the blame goes onto the gun or the gun makers. The blame is on the parents. They don't know for sure if the child was playing with it "because it looked like a toy", or if it was just an easily accessible curiosity.

CX

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Maybe stop making toys that replicate firearms that can kill? Lots of ways to look at this.

The only think i see wrong here is the supervision of the kid around a firearm. Not firearms being done in custom colors. The kid shouldn't have been able to pick the thing up.

CX.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Also keeping a gun for self defense without one in the chamber is stupid. The most likely time for failure is when the bullet is being pushed into the chamber. If you have one in the chamber already, the only failure you could really experience is a dud bullet. In which case you're kinda screwed anyway. But if you have to rack one in and your life depends on a few seconds, you're going to be real sorry if that bullet jams or gets stuck.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I didn't mean to imply that you were anti-gun. I was just pointing out the irony of the whole situation. Although I do disagree with the guns are only for self defense or hunting thing. I do competition shooting and people who have guns for competition only tend to paint them in neon colors or ridiculous camo patterns because it's a gun made to shoot at paper only. Just trying to express themselves through the paint job of their gun the same way they do through the way their car looks or the styles of clothes they wear. It just comes down to being a responsible gun owner. If you have a pink gun, or any gun and a kid in the same house, you have to keep it out of reach of the kid. Bad parenting, plain and simple.

i get all that any parent who leaves a loaded hand gun around is a bad parent.

But personally i like to put my bleach in the old 2 liter bottle's of Pepsi clear brand cola..till i figured my kids would drink it too. assuming it was Pepsi clear not Clorox bleach...with a wee bit of after thought i figured it wasn't such a hot idea.
see my point too thought?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Also keeping a gun for self defense without one in the chamber is stupid. The most likely time for failure is when the bullet is being pushed into the chamber. If you have one in the chamber already, the only failure you could really experience is a dud bullet. In which case you're kinda screwed anyway. But if you have to rack one in and your life depends on a few seconds, you're going to be real sorry if that bullet jams or gets stuck.

I agree with you guys on needing one chambered, but the rules change with children in the house.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Oh absolutely. If you have a kid and gun in the same house, you better have a safe. Kids will find your hiding places no matter how good they are. A quick access safe like that would have prevented this tragedy.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Once again we have a list of morons blaming the gun, not the person who left it in reach.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I absolutely see your point. If I'm living by myself and I want to put bleach in my pepsi clear bottle and rat poison in my aspirin bottle, that's fine. I just better know that I'm responsible if I have people in my house to warn them or make them inaccessible. Especially if it's kids were talking about. Same goes with a pink gun. Having a pink gun you must know that a child seeing it seeing it as a toy is more likely, and act accordingly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join