It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7-year-old playing an imaginary game at school gets suspended for real

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SaneThinking

No, doing what the school is doing will not end anything.

Just because these kids are scared of weapons, doesn't mean the greedy politicians will not try to trick them into things when they grow up, like controlling drones, or some other machines by simply telling them that what they're doing does not kill anyone, but rather only captures or injures them, when in reality, they're going on a killing spree.

And don't forget, criminals will always exist, so while people will be afraid of guns because of being brought up to be afraid of them, the criminals will be robbing and murdering innocent people, and there will be nothing we can do to fight back, which is exactly what the government wants.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

After reading all the responses here, I wonder when parents will rise up and STOP this social experiment on our children? That is EXACTLY what this "new education approach" is, a social experiment. In any other walk of life, would you allow someone to perform a daily social experiment upon children like this? Why not introduce shock treatment to deter these "bad behaviors"? It's not much further down this slippery slope to that going forward, is it?

Just indescribable, really, it is.....

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Azjazzer8

In addition.

Who the hell do you and other teachers think that you are??? Honestly.

You, and other teachers are not there to teach morals, right or wrong, good or bad.

YOU are there to teach Reading skills, Writing skills and Math skills. That is it.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Exactly!

And on your "boys will always play war"... perhaps the "grown-ups" could do with stop playing war with every country that has oil/gas/etc. and stop glamourising war on the media and recruitment drives, and toys and models etc.

I don't know, just thinking out loud.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SaneThinking

Unfortunately there is a major flaw is this theory. Making people afraid of guns will not prevent wars. There are always those who will try to take from you what you have. They will NOT be afraid of guns. What this will do is create a nation that will be unable to defend itself from those that want what it has.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Wow. Just... wow. I'm speechless. Suspension for having an imagination? In my day, I'd have been expelled for some of the things I thought about in play... Wow. I feel sorry for kids today, too many rules and restrictions that aren't needed.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krakatoa

So, how far will this PC madness go now? Are these inane rules going to force locked mittens on a kid of s/he uses a thumb and index finger as a "gun" now? UN-really-believable. This IMO is taking gun type controls waaaay too far. It's time we speak up as intelligent citizens and say, ENOUGH ALREADY. Fear should not rule the world, and neither should fearful minds.

This is the 21st century, or did I get warped back in time to the witch trails of the 17th century?

kdvr.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Funny thing is people keep reminding how witches were burnt in the name of religion (not Christianity mind you...but religion) and then in the modern world this sort of thing happens by secular society. I guess whats inside humans come out whether it comes out in the guise of religion, or supposed intelligent thought... I mean after all ... as some keep saying religion did all these things..... well open your eyes, whats inside a human did all these things. Were the millions killed in Russia because of religion? or because of atheism in that case? Millions dies at the 'hands' of atheists who believed in evolution rather than God so it's not religion or atheism or anything that creates all this. It's what's inside every human given the right triggers. (and funnily enough, that's exactly what the Bible says by the way)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Suspend him now, then in 11 years ask him to join the army.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Really its very sad to know about this piece of information.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Okay...so today I heard a different prospective on this topic and, based upon that, I am going to complete reverse my opinion!

I mean, let's think about this, folks! This boy took an IMAGINARY GRENADE to school!!! Think of all the IMAGINARY damage that could have been done to the school!!
The boy had NO PROPER weapons training!!
It's horrifying to think of all the IMAGINARY children his senseless actions put at risk!!

Someone should hold the school accountable that they have FAILED to put IMAGINARY WEAPONS TRAINING on their curriculum!! This could have all been avoided had the school done their job properly!!!

edit on 8-2-2013 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

Its just a matter of where to draw the line. Our job as parents and teachers is to encourage positive thinking. Sure, my example of re-directing the imagination to swords may be a bit off but is besides the point. My point wasn't to say that swords are better, rather, as adults we have a huge impact on the growth of our children.

I once had a kid who was learning to make bombs with his Uncle in the basement. Should we encourage or discourage this child from pretend gun play and imagination with bombs? Or, should we try and encourage positive thoughts?

Like I said in my original reply, I wholeheartedly disagree with the action taken to discipline this child. There is no need for 'shock' discipline to send any kind of message. My point is that we need to encourage more positive thoughts and actions. Playing 'guns' now days, especially with the 10-12 age group, consists of shooting, bleeding out, killing, and graphic language. From what I've witnessed, it isn't as innocent as you might think.

Improve positive thoughts, prevent desensitization.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Being a teacher is more than just teaching fundamental skills. Why not take the opportunity to encourage positive behaviors and thoughts?

I don't understand the harsh words, I am not a ego-headed teacher who thinks I'm saving souls or anything like that. I'm simply stating the point of view that most teachers care deeply for their students. The teachers salary isn't anything to brag about. My specific position as an aid barely gets more than a Wal-Mart greeter. We definitely don't have a Union. I don't do this job to purposefully ruin the minds of children. I care, and I do what I think is right.

And where does it state teachers can't help encourage good morals? Did I miss something?

edit on 11-2-2013 by Azjazzer8 because: Add

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

Your response inspired me to respond again. I am a Teacher an English Teacher. When Students cease to demonstrate their imagination - I have ceased being a Teacher. I just wish there was no violence because it is all around and that is what the little boy was utilising - the input from the world around him.

All Art Comes From Other Art - so - when we are creating we are calling on what is all around us. I wish we were surrounded by all manner of things worthwhile and healing then the little boy could have been playing with an imaginary healing ray gun. When he grew up he might well have turned the imagination into reality!

Much Peace...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Where do you get the idea that your morals are acceptable when teaching my child about guns or if being a soldier is right or wrong?

How about you teach them what you are supposed to teach them (like reading, writing, and math) and leave the morals to the families.

BTW my father taught me how to make bombs and explosives when I was a kid and I went on to serve my country as EOD one of the most respected jobs in the military saving lives.
edit on 11-2-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

I thought I was putting up my opinion of the situation and giving a first hand look from a teacher's point of view.

Apparently I was offending every single person observing this topic.

It's difficult not to take offense to your comments that are blatantly clumping every teacher together as being idiotic buffoons.

However, I understand.

There's a fine line with issues in the school system. If it was so black and white this topic wouldn't even exist. Yah?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

Where do you get the idea that your morals are acceptable when teaching my child about guns or if being a soldier is right or wrong?

How about you teach them what you are supposed to teach them (like reading, writing, and math) and leave the morals to the families.

BTW my father taught me how to make bombs and explosives when I was a kid and I went on to serve my country as EOD one of the most respected jobs in the military saving lives.
edit on 11-2-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

I never meant to offend you or to imply that every single child who does a certain thing will turn out a certain way.

But wouldn't it be a bit unnerving to you to learn that a child in your Emotionally Disturbed classroom was learning to make bombs at the age of 11? That to me was worrisome, and I cared about the child. The school psychologist got notified and I did not even talk to the child about it.

Also, we don't discourage them from playing soldier or police. From my observations, the kids I work with find ways to make their imaginative game work. Instead of shooting and killing each other, they chase each other to handcuff the 'suspect' and lead them to jail.

edit on 11-2-2013 by Azjazzer8 because: Add

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

And where does it state teachers can't help encourage good morals? Did I miss something?

This is where there seems to be a problem.........and I appologize for some of the very harsh responses on here, but as you can imagine, many including myself are fed up with this sort of thing.

I understand that some teachers try to do the best they can.......

and I understand that we as a society have gotten lazy in the upbringing of our own children, often times leaving the child rearing part up to the teachers........

HOWEVER, it is not the teachers job, nor should it be to interject their "morals" upon any children that are under their supervision.....

What you consider your morals or your ideals, might wholy conflict with what I believe and how i chose to raise MY child.

What you might find "offensive" or "destructive" behavior is what most of us now days who have children of our own, did as young people using our imaginations, and we are perfectly normal , giving, productive members of society......

It is not, nor should it be your job to impress your ideals on a child that is not your own......

You are there to teach and educate, and help teach critical thinking skills yes........

but leave the child rearing to the parents.......this thought police mentality needs to end.

Society is chock FULL now of this "indoctrination" from teachers now, with a whole generation of emotionally and intellectually stunted people, who seem to have no care for what goes on in the world around them, and an over inflated view of themselves........YES thanks impart to educators feeling the need to push their ideals onto their students........this needs to end.........

Look at the children of the 80s and 90s compared to what we have now..........if people cannot see the clear difference then you are blinded by your own convictions.....

This has to stop......
edit on 11-2-2013 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azjazzer8

Being a teacher is more than just teaching fundamental skills. Why not take the opportunity to encourage positive behaviors and thoughts?

WHY??? Because that is not your job. I don't not need, nor want, nor welcome you or anyone else thinking that it is okay to teach MY children Morals.
Reading, writing and arithmetic.

I don't understand the harsh words, I am not a ego-headed teacher who thinks I'm saving souls or anything like that. I'm simply stating the point of view that most teachers care deeply for their students.

Then make sure that they are taught the above mentioned. Instead of Morals, Right and Wrong, the great things or Mao or Che and that homosexuality is right or wrong.

The teachers salary isn't anything to brag about.

Yeah, no tears shed from me.
If you want a higher paying job, go find it. Stop crying the blues about teachers not getting paid X amount.

My specific position as an aid barely gets more than a Wal-Mart greeter. We definitely don't have a Union. I don't do this job to purposefully ruin the minds of children. I care, and I do what I think is right.

Caring for the child is to equate to teaching them the above mentioned.

You know what, is it in your job description???
That is not your or any other teachers job. That is the job of the parents.
And yes, you did miss that.
The country and society has really gone down the toilet since Teachers started in on this morality crap.
The student is not your child. YOU are not there or paid to be there to teach them morals.
I don't do my job, and inject morals into it. Why do you believe that is your job?

Let's re-state this. YOU and other TEACHERS are not there to teach morals and such. That is for the parent.

YOU and other TEACHERS are there to teach Reading, writing and arithmetic. THAT IS IT.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

If you are offended, then I am doing it correctly.

YOUR morals, or any TEACHERS morals are just that.

MY morals aren't the same. Keep them to yourself and instead of worrying about Morals, how about teachers actually work to get students ready for College, instead of protesting, marches and other crap.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

WHY??? Because that is not your job. I don't not need, nor want, nor welcome you or anyone else thinking that it is okay to teach MY children Morals.
Reading, writing and arithmetic.

I don't understand the harsh words, I am not a ego-headed teacher who thinks I'm saving souls or anything like that. I'm simply stating the point of view that most teachers care deeply for their students.

Then make sure that they are taught the above mentioned. Instead of Morals, Right and Wrong, the great things or Mao or Che and that homosexuality is right or wrong.

The teachers salary isn't anything to brag about.

Yeah, no tears shed from me.
If you want a higher paying job, go find it. Stop crying the blues about teachers not getting paid X amount.

My specific position as an aid barely gets more than a Wal-Mart greeter. We definitely don't have a Union. I don't do this job to purposefully ruin the minds of children. I care, and I do what I think is right.

Caring for the child is to equate to teaching them the above mentioned.

You know what, is it in your job description???
That is not your or any other teachers job. That is the job of the parents.
And yes, you did miss that.
The country and society has really gone down the toilet since Teachers started in on this morality crap.
The student is not your child. YOU are not there or paid to be there to teach them morals.
I don't do my job, and inject morals into it. Why do you believe that is your job?

Let's re-state this. YOU and other TEACHERS are not there to teach morals and such. That is for the parent.

YOU and other TEACHERS are there to teach Reading, writing and arithmetic. THAT IS IT.

First off, my point in sharing the common idea that teachers barely make dirt is only to emphasize that many teachers share a common interest in bettering the community and the future.

Second, my job description states that I am to encourage positive social interactions.

Show me the facts that disallowing pretend gun play will ruin a child's imagination, and I'll work on finding the flip side. :-)

I will always continue to help spread positivity wherever I go. If I see one student bullying others, emotionally or verbally, should I simply turn away and not intervene? My morals state we should be kind to others, but if I am following your method of ONLY teaching academics, I should allow this child to continue his verbal and emotional attack because maybe the parents are placing those morals on them?

Where do we draw the line?
There HAS to be limits in place.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join