It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7-year-old playing an imaginary game at school gets suspended for real

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

It was said in jest, my son is actually placed in a Waldorf School here and, I can assure you, it is quite a different school environment.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

Well, that is good news then, Sir. I take it that school board has a handle on all their "faculties"

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I hope the kid in the middle of this don't ever put a baseball bat on his shoulder and act like it's a Bazooka, they'll probally publicly execute him. ( Bazooka ) what my generation called a shoulder fired grenade launcher. Back then you could buy the entire war outfit, Camo pants, camo shirt, with all the patch's, a jacket, utility belt with ammo holder, helmet and even a fake walkie talkie. And with the fake M-16 you were a 4ft tall walking talking Rambo. Who had to be in the house before the street lights came on. Or Rambo got a switching across the legs.

On a side note, I have a memory of the time I took my little fake M-16 and surprised my dad one Sunday morning. I made the big mistake of pointing that fake gun at him. I learned that day that you never point a weapon at anyone fake or not. He broke my little M-16 and I was the omly kid in the neighborhood who had a "duct tape gray" fake M-16.
edit on 6-2-2013 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

My friends and I used to build forts in the woods and we built a few large cannon type devices, not quite a trebuchet but more like a giant crossbow that was on wheels and used large rubber bands and a sliding carrier on a rail that could toss large rocks at each others forts. Sure there were some accidents and a few bruises but that's what kids did back then. Now they can't got off by themselves and play because it's not safe to do so. Of course too many families use this as an excuse to let their kids hang around the house all day and play indoors instead of experiencing the world around them and learning physics through real play.

Give a boy a bb gun rifle and a target and he will learn about wind, gravity, velocity and have fun too. I know because that was me or any of my friends way back then.

My parents used to send me and my siblings out of the house about 8 or 9 am and tell us not to come back until at least 5PM when we were needed to set the table for dinner and do other daily chores. That's how we spent our summers.
edit on 6-2-2013 by evc1shop because: added content

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
This is irresponsible on the part of the school.

Developmentally, young boys ALWAYS play these violent games. Its what they are wired to do. You cannot stop it, beat it out of them, or redirect it. They will find a way to play "war."

Emphasis added.

While I agree with the overall message and tone of your post, I disagree with that one part. I do not believe we are "wired" to do this, but rather that it is a learned behavior. If society doesn't like this, they can take a long look in the mirror. Even from an early age, there is an element of violence in children's programming, stories, and games. Not to mention what they might glean from adults around them, news, etc etc....

We have become a violent species, which portrays, discusses, acts, re-enacts, and even glorifies violence, perhaps even more than we condemn it. It's no wonder our children have violent fantasies from an early age-- even if they are "the good guys," in such fantasies. (A moral designation which is not always clear in real life cases of violence-- yet through our culture and educational system we constantly re-enforce the idea that it is often that black-or-white.)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

I tend to think that it is actually somewhat in our plumbing. Remember we are wired for "fight or flight"

Add to that the probability that years ago a caveman may have taken over someone else's cave because it might have been better than his own or he didn't have one already or whatever.

Add to that the cave dwellers started drawing fight scenes on the wall depicitng an animal being hunted and killed. Whose to say that these weren't actually the first "textbooks". Maybe they sat their clan down around them and analyzed it like a football game is done today.

There may be somethign inherent to us that compells one to want to experience it through play. Even lions and other animals "play fight" with their siblings to enhance their abilities in the wild.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Remember not being able to wait for daylight saving time? You got to stay out till the street lights came on. When your a kid, that's awesome. We as kids were trusted to know how to play safe. Accidenst happened, but it came with the territory of being a kid with an imagination. I am so happy that was in my time, not now with all the video games and Internet kids lose that imagination factor.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by evc1shop
reply to post by infopost

Like I said a few posts back, the school will probably not allow itself to teach our history of civil war and revolutionary wars....
Probably going to get some special text books made that say we broke off from England to promote a faith that was not allowed to flourish over there or something like that. Then we befriended some of the natives and they "gave" us their land after picking out some of the finest parcels to keep for themselves.
Finally, those workers we brought over from Africa got out of control down in the south and the good folks in the northern states went down and sorted it out over a few games of chess and a few glasses of bourbon.

Things like this is what has made American public schools a joke and the thought of imbeciles like this being the people that influence our kids is horrifying. It's literally gotten to the point now where I believe public schools are becoming another avenue for the TPTB to force their agenda on kids at such an early age that by the time they have finished school the kids will accept it as reality.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

From the land of the Progressive Stupid.

Not surprised, but I am .

This is dumb on so many levels.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

I stil can't wait for it! I am a programmer with a bit of a mechanical side which stems from my quest of everything when I was younger. To balance my brain, I have a workshop where I do lots of automotive work including rebuilding engines, I have a metal machining area and a homemade CNC machine, build robotic things, kinetic art, plus full wood working and welding setups and as soon as daylight gets a little longer, I will be taking all of my saved metal shavings and putting my new foundry to use as I go about learning the art of metal casting, which must be done outdoors here as my shop is not quite fireproof at the moment. My son is not quite 4 yet but I answer a lot of his questions with some good old hands-on answering by having him assist in certain projects when i determine he's ready to be exposed to things. I have not taught him anything about guns yet but he still manages to come up with a notion of throwing things at targets and knocking them over all by himself. I do not own any guns and haven't for the longest time 20+ years but when he starts to play cops n robbers (not always sure which is which
) I will instruct him on what I know of gun safety and gun etiquette if there is such a thing. I wish the schools would just say "to each his own" but since they are the babysitters of the current generation, they feel empowered to do so much more.

edit on 6-2-2013 by evc1shop because: clarity

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Having read the article and and the responses the following can be stated:

I would like to start with the following quote from the musical 1776, Hopkins: Well, in all my years I ain't never heard, seen or smelled an issue that was so dangerous it couldn't be talked about.

That speaks louder for this case as any. In our attempts to shield and protect the children, we have forgotten the one thing, and that is the children. Right now the bad thing is guns, and it is the new "smoking" issue of the day.

These rules, to protect the children, unfortunately will have consequences that no one can really foresee, though if history serves as a beacon and a reminder, it is going to be bad, and ultimately be a downfall in society at hand. Too many times, in an attempt to better a group, where supression was used, it either caused damage to the groups psychology or that group sought said items or ideas out creating a black market of sorts. And even in this country you do not have to look too far to see the long term damage of those policies, that were later reversed, though no one is sure if the damage can ever be undone.

The damage here is to children, supressing their very nature and creativity, the very essence of what it means to be a child. Young children dream and dream big, do we stop that cause it violates a rule, when it is nothing more than simple play? Do we allow the rules to get so carried away where children are simply terrified to go out for fear of breaking some rule that gets them into trouble? Or do we allow for them to be children, to play, imagine and may grow up to be someone.

Bad rules and policies ultimately have a habit of costing money and this district is going to face that dance, if not now, but in the future. After all what is going to happen if say a child has a medical condition and ultimately breaks one of the suppression rules, do you punish that child? Is that fair?

To the parent, personally I think they should sue and ultimately either transfere their child to another school or homeschool, and encourage the other parents to follow suit, thus forcing the school district into a situation where it has to address the rules that meet with the parents approval.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I don't mind the schools having a zero-tolerance policy towards violence but... imagination is not violence no matter what.

By extension of this logic, we are Nazis if we watch Schindler's List and we are homicidal maniacs if we watch Psycho and we are god-like villains if we pinch the heads off people from a distance. If I play Dr. Mario, should I be awarded the Nobel? I don't see my name in Forbes after winning a game of Monopoly, either. This is just silly and won't last as a trend, don't worry.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I heard about this today. Are you in Loveland? I am here in Loveland and nothing the schools do surprise me anymore. My 11 year old made a joke about a gun and the school called me and wanted me to take him home for the rest of the day to contemplate the seriousness of his words. When I got there the principal presented me with his old CSAP scores as if it had anything at all to do with what was going on. I told her that I already knew his potential, his past scores and where he could be, that his academic ability was not why I was there. She couldn't get rid of me fast enough, it was odd. I didn't have to even sign him out or anything though, I think they just wanted to quietly sweep it under the rug so that it wasn't reported on that they kicked someone out.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
So he deserves a more imagination-tolerant school. After a day at his school I'd be wanting to pretend the teachers are evil and be imaginary nuking them off the planet. No imaginary weapons? How the heck is he supposed to escape his own imagination? This is impossible!

I guess this makes me an imaginary terrorist by their standards. Except I'm playing pilot.

I do this all the time when I'm driving. I pretend I'm piloting a jet and I'm on a mission to explode other jets, which are really other cars on the highway. I lock on with my radar, and push some buttons on my steering wheel, then hit a button on the gearstick (whatever that thing is), and then an imaginary missile is launched at an other car.

I blow up several cars every time I'm on the freeway. Police cars are not safe from my imagination.

It helps pass the time when reality is going too slow. I still follow the rules of the road.

That school is a brain-killing school.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Thompson School district has a facebook page! Feel free to go put your thoughts on the matter on their page! Thompson School District Facebook Page

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The stupidity of political correctness knows no bounds. This is just beyond ridiculous. He was doing something that is very normal for kids to do. He harmed no one in any way. Hell, he was even playing the good guy and pretending to destroy evil...

I hope this kids parents make sure he knows that he did nothing wrong.

All I can say is, if my kid ever gets in suspended for something this stupid, I am going to take her to Six Flags on her days off from school...Simply because...It's not wrong to pretend like this. It's normal and healthy. It's a part of growing up. ( Six Flags is an American amusement park, for those of you not from the US. )

PC is killing our spirit...Sometimes I wonder if that is what they ( Who ever they are) wants...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Unfortunately this is nothing new, but It's obvious paranoia is at an all time irrational high. I remember getting in trouble for similar things, like building a fort in recess out of fallen pine branches and needles and pretending I was Godzilla (well, I was getting pretty into it). My teacher put me in a special class simply because of my imagination and suggested I play football like the rest of the kids instead. I had the feeling then, and I realize now, the American education system is a complete and utter joke. They like to make you feel your being is wrong, and will indoctrinate you accordingly like it's still 1959; and it does seem to be stuck in the 50's, only more watered down. How can a nation mediate the world when it's educational curriculum is completely western centric? For the lords sake they still venerate the ayhole Columbus as the man who discovered America. Whilst further insulting the Native Americans with a half ass'd 'prehistory'.

Sorry for the rant. This just really pisses me off. I would never put my kids through all that If I can help it. I hear a lot of people say it's a necessary part of social development. That is a joke. As far as I can tell it delay's the development of the individual considering these children have to pretend to be someone else just to survive through it all.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I wonder if these kids being brought up in these schools will grow up to be proponents of the overbearing nanny/police state or opponents of it.

They'll grow up thinking it's perfectly normal. Lucky for them, the older people will die eventually so we won't be around anyway. Otherwise, we'd probably be a nuisance.

Why did the german people not resist the Nazi's? There're countless examples of large crowds of people in history who followed their nation obediently to the depths of hell.

We have an instinct to be obedient and to admire people who're obedient. The problem is people who're not obedient are too often wrong. So this results in us blaming them. However, when they're right they can save a nation from itself. One or two people can change the world. But this "protection" has a cost since so many disobedient people are wrong. But don't most things in life have a cost? Why should we expect a beneficial trait to be universally good? That's irrational. Most things in the universe, if not all, are relative. Thus traits are not universally good. It's circumstantial.

Security Freedom. We have to find a balance. Maybe it's becoming too dangerous in our world to have the same amount of freedom we had in 1950. But that's a sad thought.

Extreme thought control will be realized someday. The question is how far they will go. And if they don't go far enough, can too much freedom truly destroy our world as is claimed?

Everything is relative. Ignorance prevails. And nothing is guaranteed.
edit on 6-2-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
S + F OP

Doh!! you beat me to posting this story.

I just don't understand this madness, what's more I don't understand how people can't put thier foot down and tell these totalitarian pigs to go forth and fornicate with themselves.

I posted this story along with a few other nonsense ones earlier today in my thread about this issue

Zero Tolerance or Zero Intelligence?

A story of a freshman in Florence, AZ being suspended because his laptop had a desktop background of a gun laying on a flag.

A link to a story of a 5th grader that was suspended for drawing pictures of guns and for "knowing too much about how they operate". Come to find out the childs father is a federal agent and firearms instructor.

Also, another link to a story of a schools homework project in Texas was to have thier students design a "communist flag" for the country WTF?!?

Welcome to the new Amerika!! All hail, the glorious USSA!
edit on 6-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: spelling

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join