It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City in Virginia Becomes First to Pass Anti-Drone Legislation

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
www.usnews.com...

Charlottesville, Virgina has woken up to the possible future threat of the use of drones by agencies for purposes unknown ...

Charlottesville, Va., has become the first city in the United States to formally pass an anti-drone resolution.

the resolution is aimed at both federal and state operaters ...

The resolution, passed Monday, "calls on the United States Congress and the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Virginia to adopt legislation prohibiting information obtained from the domestic use of drones from being introduced into a Federal or State court," and "pledges to abstain from similar uses with city-owned, leased, or borrowed drones."

they clearly believe that the use of drones is a violation of our constitutional rights ...

Councilmember Dede Smith, who voted in favor of the bill, says that drones are "pretty clearly a threat to our constitutional right to privacy."

the resolution is likely to be the first of many and as it gets the ball rolling, they hope to see stricter measures to prevent the use of drones in america forthcoming ...

Smith admits that the final legislation won't do anything to prevent federal- or state-operated drones from operating over Charlottesville's skies, but that the symbolic move could push other cities to follow suit.

i'm thinking that this is something we should all show our support for ...

"With a lot of these resolutions, although they don't have a lot of teeth to them, they can inspire other governments to pass similar measures," she says. "You can get a critical mass and then it does have influence. One doesn't do much, but a thousand of them might. We want this on [federal and state lawmakers'] radars."
www.usnews.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
VA REPRESENTIN !

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Only thing this is good for is to get the case started on its way to the Supreme Court. As the article stated, it doesn't prevent the Feds from doing anything.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
This is very good news! Thanks for bringing it forward.
Florida is trying to do the same thing. Hopefully other states will follow suit.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal

Smith admits that the final legislation won't do anything to prevent federal- or state-operated drones from operating over Charlottesville's skies, but that the symbolic move could push other cities to follow suit.

So...It means jack.

They cannot prevent drones from entering their airspace and taking what ever action necessary.

the funny thing is they are all concerned with the information gathering the drones might be doing.

not worried then about the tagets it will eventually be striking

edit on 5-2-2013 by lacrimaererum because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Maybe the Iranians will help us out? They could just take control and land them for us so we can reprogram them to watch the watchers.
If they beg for them back, we'll just
at them like the Iranians did!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The technology to guide these things was invented in the 1800's by Tesla. I am sure someone has already figured out a way to take them over. It doesn't really appear to be cutting edge technology. They might want to reconsider deploying them in America.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spookycolt
Only thing this is good for is to get the case started on its way to the Supreme Court. As the article stated, it doesn't prevent the Feds from doing anything.

There is nothing to go to the Supreme Court with. It's only a resolution, which is only an expression of desire. It's not a law or ordinance. It has the same legal effect as if they had said, "We want ice cream served at city council meetings."

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
If this is actually a bunch of hot air like some are suggesting, then Virginia needs to look at what Florida is doing:
thefederalist-gary.blogspot.com...

The Florida legislature will consider a bill in the 2013 session that would protect residents and visitors from prying eyes in the sky.

The Tenth Amendment Center reports that State Senator Joe Negron (R-Palm City) filed Senate Bill 92 last month. If passed, the Freedom from Unwarranted Surveillance Act would prohibit the use of domestic drones over the Sunshine State.

“A law enforcement agency may not use a drone to gather evidence or other information.”

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Maybe we should petition our state legislatures to have SAM bases along our borders. The states are already being singled out as "enemies of the state" so we should be defending ourselves as states against "all enemies both foreign and domestic"!

edit on 5-2-2013 by ajay59 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
New reality show incoming. "Drone Chasers!" You know it will happen!

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Take note, Virginia! It appears as though Florida's drone ban is gaining lots of traction!
www.orlandosentinel.com...

"I'm very optimistic about the bill passing, and the response I get from my constituents is they want the government to be able to have reasonable investigations but they don't want their lawful activities monitored," he said.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Why won't it do anything? I think this is a GREAT idea! It got me thinking about further legislation to clip the wings of a potential runaway military. Things like, unless in a time of an invasion by a foreign entity, the U.S. military shall not be allowed to carry or use weapons within any state, under penalty of prison for any soldier or officer that gives such a command.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
i know where our next president SHOULD be comming from heh

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ~widowmaker~

Iceland?
Just kidding.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Why won't it do anything? I think this is a GREAT idea! It got me thinking about further legislation to clip the wings of a potential runaway military. Things like, unless in a time of an invasion by a foreign entity, the U.S. military shall not be allowed to carry or use weapons within any state, under penalty of prison for any soldier or officer that gives such a command.

Oh great! We end up with a military thaat can't hit anything because it's illegal for them to practice on a firing range in Louisiana'a Ft. Polk, or NC's Army or Marine Corps bases, etc. As Bugs would say, "What a maroon!"

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by F4guy

Originally posted by jiggerj

Oh great! We end up with a military thaat can't hit anything because it's illegal for them to practice on a firing range in Louisiana'a Ft. Polk, or NC's Army or Marine Corps bases, etc. As Bugs would say, "What a maroon!"

Why did you not understand that I meant on the streets? Why does everything have to be so tediously spelled out for some people?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'm from Detroit I hear gun shots every night it's like a warzone. I wish they could use these drones to terminate a few of these dirtbags running the streets. I would love to see black and white footage of a crackdealer blown to peices by a hellfire missle. Actually I'd pay to see it.

top topics

join