It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

86 Year Old Man Shoots Employee Of Assisted Living Facility

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I can't give an opinion because I do not know all the true facts. I'm sure that both sides see justification in their actions based on their perception. I will leave this up to the judge to decide. I know there is abuse in those kind of places but to say that the old guy was right is wrong. Shooting someone in a case like that is wrong, the guy should have complained to the owners or management. The old guys perception could easily have been altered by the side effects of medications also. I know how the meds I was taking made me feel, meds that I am now officially verified as being allergic to.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
My mom used to be the Director of Nurses at an assissted living/acute care facility. I have heard many stories of theft, especially the new under wear brought by family members. When christmas comes around they will be lucky if they can keep their presents for more than a week. Toiletries is another big thing, deodorant, toothpaste, whatever... I might get my mom to post under my name, she has the low down on the really bad things. She doesn't like to talk about it though. I have never heard any stories of physical abuse but verbal abuse and theft are the main problems reported. My grandpa is 86 with dementia, and he swears people steal from him, when he hides stuff from himself. So how do you differentiate between the real problems and the make believe?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I'm wondering why this thread was even started? Shootings happen every day. Are we gonna start posting threads for every shooting that occurs in America?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmericaNeedsToWakeUp
Let see if any of the white posters here call the shooter a thug or animal. Another angry White boy who settles disputes by shooting. When white crime occurs, white people immediately labels the suspect as "mentally disturbed.
Well at least it's a white person doing it to their own race! Carry on!
edit on 5-2-2013 by AmericaNeedsToWakeUp because: (no reason given)

I don't think this is an appropriate thing to say here. Color is irrelevant.

Why did you post this? To start a fight?
edit on 2/5/2013 by Creep Thumper because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Creep Thumper

Why did you post this? To start a fight?

Most probably Yes

edit on 5-2-2013 by inj3ct0r because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Shooting someone in a case like that is wrong, the guy should have complained to the owners or management.

Yes...(as I have stated previously); I agree no matter what this elder man's reasons were; what he did was wrong.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy

I'm wondering why this thread was even started? Shootings happen every day. Are we gonna start posting threads for every shooting that occurs in America?

I started this thread because of all the gun related issues going on...this story presents another aspect..an elderly person in an assisted living facility who went berserk.

I think this story is important too...to bring to light...some inappropriate behavior that happens in assisted living facilities.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

See what Obamacare brings us. I'ts obviously Obama's fault.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

The 86 year old man who shot an employee where he lived... that incident (is not) President Obama's fault.

I think your statement is very wrong and borders on the ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Originally posted by olaru12

The 86 year old man who shot an employee where he lived... that incident (is not) President Obama's fault.

I think your statement is very wrong and borders on the ridiculous.

Actually is was sarcasm. I should have used one of these
There should be a specific emoticon for sarcasm.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

well to be fair (and ill state im not against those mentally ill who can legally own a gun owning one)the minute he was on reccord of saying he not only wished he had killed that person and more importantly (as far as the mental health angle goes)the minute he said he wished he could have killed him self he forfeited his right to own guns by becoming a threat to him self. he will be 5150ed after jail and they probably have him on suicide watch the old man just got his self ruled mentally adjudicated(the legal term for a prohibited person who became so for mental health reasons)

i guess the only bright side for the old guy is that MOST prisoners dont screw with the elderly on principle and it raises his chances of using insanity or incompetence in his trial(play the Alzheimer card)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AmericaNeedsToWakeUp

why are you bringing race into this?..when i read 86 yr old man i dont think thug no matter the race

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

So do you think he will do much jail time...or will he be put in a lockup mental facility?

Do you think sometimes; some judges go easy on the person if they are really elderly?

The reason I am asking these questions of you is because I think you'll have the answers. I base this opinion on what you have already said.
edit on 5-2-2013 by caladonea because: add more

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by vonclod
reply to post by AmericaNeedsToWakeUp

why are you bringing race into this?..when i read 86 yr old man i dont think thug no matter the race

I am wondering the same thing; what does his reply have to do with this thread; I am just saying. This thread is about an really older person going berserk in a retirement home; where he says he was bullied.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

a friend of mine was arrested in high school for brandishing a fire arm at police who at the time he did not know were police(he thought it was a crazy neighbor) he turned to engage the sound of a gun cocking on the way to the shooting range pointed his weapon at the cop the cop ducked behind a tree and at point my friend who ill call "mike" proceded to run away with the gun(an 870 pump action shotgun) with the gun pointed under his chin he managed to evade police and get into the woods he grew up in and eventually surrendered after hiding the weapon(the main point of the story starts here) when he was arrested he surrendered in his boxer shorts in hopes police would not shoot him,he was taken to jail and put on a 72 hour hold in the jail(isolated in a cell with nothing but a blanket so he could not hurt him self) and a nurse would check on him every 5 minutes he was then bailed out(by his parents) and then immediately transferred to sequoia mental health facility in the bay area by an ambulance and then held on a separate 5150 hold (standard 72 hour evaluation for a suicide attempt) which was extended to ten days at which point he was released to his family tell trial and eventual probation(4 years in judge Manley's mental health court)
think the news article about him was titled suicidal mans standoff ends by snake bite if any one could find it

from what i remember he was not even charged with the brandishing (no idea how the heck he pulled that off) just the suicide attempt so i can see it being somewhat comparable in this case,and yeah ill agree with you they do tend to go a bit easier on the elderly unless kids were involved.

what i think will happen is after he is removed from jail he will go to a mental health facility and then released once they deem him not a threat but that he will stand trial and most likely be sent to a state jail if convicted(does not seem like he has much to debate about weather he did it or not) this is definatly a case of the ends dont justify the means and he will pay but compared to most people who go to jail his time will be easy as even hardend criminals rarely screw with the elderly unless they were a short eyes(slang for pedophiles). and with his age he will most likely die in prison.the only way i see him NOT doing time is if he pulls of insanity defense(diminished capacity or Alzheimer ) at which point he will probably be remanded to some kind of hospital or secure elder care facility
edit on 5-2-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

Thank you for answering my questions; you have given to me more food for thought.

I think that he is going to do time in jail for attempted murder and perhaps because of his age and circumstances (I think he may have some mental problems) the Judge may give to him the least amount of time in jail; of course this is just speculation on my part; as with all things...time will tell.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

signalfire
Hard one to judge; some people in ALFs certainly are probably abused in one way or another; but with dementia (often sudden onset or worsening from a hidden stroke, etc.) anything can seem like abuse, even someone coming in to help you get dressed or take a shower, or not getting the food you want for a meal.

What I'm wondering is how in hell you punish an 86 year old for attempted murder. You gonna put him in jail? Hell, that's assisted living too, and maybe the food will be better.

I searched the threads to see what was out there on assisted living conditions. Just placed a loved one in a facility and the care is definitely abuse. Tried to get things fixed through the publicly traded company responsible, but they won't do a thing and give me the same story that you are preaching. In the process of moving him out and filing suit and publicly exposing the care at this facility in order to discourage other seniors from falling victim.

Abuse does not have to be physical. In my case it is putting the resident to bed in urine covered sheets, not cleaning him or the bathroom properly after defecating, not washing soiled clothes, intentional failure to reset call buttons leaving resident stuck on the floor or on the toilet and elsewhere, verbally admonishing the resident for pressing the button, refusing to address family when inquiries are made, refusing to provide family the care givers names when asked, poor condition of rooms, lying about level of care in order to induce enrollment in the assisted living facility, and the list goes on and on.

All over the net you see these same complaints and they are always dismissed as demented patients making things up. Having witnessed these abuses personally, I call BS to all these arguments.

Anyone know the proper way to proceed against a facility for these crimes against humanity? I plan to dedicate the rest of my life to ensure that this happens to as few as people as possible. Please u2u me if you feel you could assist. thanks

top topics

<< 1   >>

join