It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crossbow for protection/survival ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Ok, fancy something cheap like an 'armex jaguar recurve 175lb'

I'm in uk so can't have a firearm, well I could, if I got the licence but tbh I can't afford one at £500

So sticking with crossbows, I'm assuming a recurve crossbow would be more reliable and rugged than a compound crossbow, and at 175lb it would have no problem stopping an intruder at close range and killing medium sized mammals like fox and small deer at shortish/medium range ?

Also amo wouldn't run out as long as I could retrieve my bolts, would have say 20 bolts anyhow and some of those bladed tips for hunting larger prey for food

What do you think to a cheap bow like this ?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Well I would suggest trying variations out and picking something that feels good to you.

Then practice and get very good with it.

Its more about the persons skill with a weapon than what weapon you pick.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by stinka

Recurves in my opinion are easier on maintenance, faster at launching them in repetition, and definitely would be my second choice,and i am going to get one soon,BUT i was at my brothers house and he has a crossbow that sent that bolt at 450 feet per second. Talk about salivating! I so want one. At 900 us dollars is it worth 2 dollars per each foot per second.
My only drawback [no pun intended] i would see is that the recurve would be a larger,more cumbersome item to carry. I did find some recurve survival bows that break down at set up lickety split!
Good luck !

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Have you thought of a slingshot? A good hunting one can shoot arrows, ball bearings, lead fishing sinkers or just rocks with enough velocity to kill. cross bows are unwildy with the 2 bow arms sticking out and slow to load. Take a look at this site. www.chiefaj.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Crossbow's will be awesome. Just like in Far Cry 3.

Plus they are cheap too

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It looks like it would work for the UK. Get several extra strings and wax for them. Broadheads won't last a long time, but field tips will. You might try something like judo tips or bludgeon tips for small game. Bolts will eventually wear out as well. For small game try a Bomarang(Cold Steel makes a hunting model), it is fairly easy to get within boomarang distance of rabbits and such in the UK.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Crossbows are illegal in the UK......Spud guns and our ingenuity is all we have left i'm afraid...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by stinka

I have a Horton 200lb compound crossbow. Excellent source of defence. Only drawback is the time it takes to re-load. I'll even give you the upper hand saying you have a crank to assist w/ the draw. Your still looking at 1 shot per couple minute to 3 minutes pending how fast you are. Pull that crossbow back yourself everytime and your lower back will be screaming more than the intruders.

Go~ Compound bow~ Recurve Bow (more shots in a shorter time, eazier on the body pending poundage) Same in regards to arrows your spot on with the bladed arrow tips.

Note: Recurve bow will take more practice as there is no Draw Let-off. I would go compound in all retrospect.

Also note.... I LOVE MY CROSSBOW

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
A recurve is a good choice. Lighter and you have less things to go wrong with it. In the field you can change the string if need be where with a compound your day is over if the string breaks. Even a bow with a 300 fps will take down any game animal. To me the thrill of the hunt is stalking and getting as close as possible.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
This place is reasonable :

www.bladesandbows.co.uk...

Would you have the aluminium or carbon bolts ?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
crossbows are fun and deadly accurate once you get them zeroed in. In the UK its a good option because its legal (i think). In the USA its a good option because its silent.

I have one and can paint a smilly face on a target from 50 yards with arrows

edit on 5-2-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join