It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winey feminist lady rants on "Sexist" Super Bowl commercials

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
It seems that some people are born without the gene that allows them to see the humor in cheesy Super Bowl commercials. This lady wrote a whole article spouting off on how each and every commercial that aired during the Super Bowl was full of offensive sexism.

The Sexologist: Super-sexist Super Bowl ads

I’m all for sexy depictions on television (I am a sexologist…) but I’m wondering why advertisers can’t use sex without being sexist, homophobic, or otherwise perpetuate harmful myths about sexuality. I use them to teach my students about sex in the media, and how so many people take what they see on television at face value and never dig a little deeper to examine what it is they’re actually watching and buying into. Let’s examine some of lasts night’s ads now.

A boy is bullied in the Hyundai commercial and has his football stolen until he “comes back with a team”. His mom drives him around picking up tough friends to construct a football team. Of course, they’re all boys. Why can’t a girl play on the football team?

Philly.com

The whole article goes on to find silly nit-picky reasons to label damn near every commercial as sexist such as the Doritos commercial which she says is

trans-phobic and is supposed to be “funny” because it plays on the stereotype that men don’t wear dresses. If they do they should expect to be mocked.

No, its funny because fat, hairy guys with beards look ridiculous wearing girly looking dresses.

She goes off on the Godaddy.com commercials because one depicts women as nagging their husbands (which every husband out there can attest is 100% accurate) and the other gives the impression that a hot chick would never, ever be attracted to a nerdy guy (never mind the fact that that commercial was the most disturbing thing I've ever seen. I mean really; were all those sound effects really necessary?
).

Then she goes off on the "where do babies come from ad" saying

Why couldn’t the dad just tell kids the truth when he asked? Why concoct this huge bull# story? It’s parents like these that make my job difficult. Stop lying to your kids people, or in 15 years they will be on my office trying to overcome the shame of believing babies shoot out of rockets from the planet Babylandia

Like she's never heard of the funny stereotype of parents feeling awkward discussing stuff like this with their kids. Its HUMOR lady, get over yourself and learn to laugh a little every once in a while.

Some people just have to find a reason to be offended by everything.

edit on 2/5/13 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
it must be nice to get paid to watch commercials then come up with reasons as to label them sexists, ect... I have better things to do in life and watching commercials doesn't come into it. Get a real job and life stop complaining about everything in the world.. This lady is a moron

I love feminists.. when my gf asks me why she has to take out the trash I make sure to tell her.. The sexes are equal now you women fought for it, so you can take out the trash just like a man. Most feminists are hypocrites and operate on a double standard.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
You are right.

Some people take everything too seriously. As if they are attacked and they have to defend themselves now.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
It is never a problem until you are the one being marginalized.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I will assume you are a women...

Its always a problem if you make it out to be one and find reasons for it to be a problem when in reality, it isnt.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
You might want to go easy on the "winey (sic) feminist broad" terminology, which pretty much adds fuel to the fire.

It's very much like saying "bitchy faggot" --- very similar nasty and demeaning terms.

From the ages of 15 to about 30, no matter what I was wearing, despite not making eye contact with men, and while keeping completely to myself, I dealt with the sexually invasive, pushy energies of men assaulting me on a daily basis --- even when I was driving in my car. Sometimes this would be enacted in "real world" "Hey baby, wanna f*ck?" types of language; other times it was just dark energy snaking out of them like a python.

Some of these men were probably perfectly nice, yet they were completely unconscious about how they constantly project very assaultive and abusive energy towards women they want to have sex with.

Jesus talked about how to simply think or imagine you're having sex with a stranger who is a woman is essentially to rape her. He was speaking about how the energies are from an empathic level.

Until you have spent your young adulthood dealing with THIS stuff on a daily basis, which in turn can make you very depressed when you see the hypersexualization and objectification of women as depicted in mainstream media, you are not qualified to comment on the "appropriateness" of women's sensitivity to these issues.

'Cause you just don't get it.

But thanks for playing!

PS It was always refreshing to meet nice men who didn't automatically go around looking at women in terms of how nice their boobs would be to feel up and so on. I could actually have conversations that were pleasant, build relationships and business interactions with them that felt balanced, and not feel constantly invaded. There IS a huge difference. Men would do very well, and this entire "feminists are emasculating b*tches" crap would end overnight, if they could learn to master the energy they're projecting all the time.

Because women DO feel it.
edit on 5-2-2013 by LipstickMystic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well, I'm sure glad she's out there, watching out for us women.

It's great for her, that her life is so perfect, she has nothing better to do than pick apart Superbowl commercials.
How about going out into the real world, and dealing with real issues?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
There is a very thick line between a womens' rights activist and a feminist.
Activists only care about things that actually are sexist, while feminists insist that they are completely and 100% the victims.
##SNIPPED## feminists.
edit on Tue Feb 5 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I guess that pointing out such things is this lady's "bread and butter". She spends her time digging for examples to prop up her own theories about sexism to teach in her classes and probably to write books about so other feminists can buy them (and she gets paid). It's all about the bottom dollar. Inside she was probably laughing her butt off just like the rest of us.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LipstickMystic

actually since feminist is a self proclaimed title, and someone whining which the women is clearly doing.. Its NOTHING like calling someone a bitchy faggot and if you really think so then you are sadly mistaken...

also jesus was a moron that didn't exist the fact that thinking about someone is as good as raping them is completely stupid. Let me guess I am sure you would want someone to go to jail for that or even talking to you since your are just so amazingly beautiful that you can't walk a corner without being eye raped..

Well if people are looking at you to much then why don't you stop flaunting yourself which I am sure you are because if you were wearing less form fitting clothes, maybe a non low cut top maybe they wouldn't have something to look at.. if its such a problem wear a burka like they do in other countries so that their women aren't objectified or better yet just move there.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Damn!!!!! apparently Im a horrible, woman hating, chauvinistic, sexist pig.

All I saw was harmless humour or at least attempts at humour.

I guess my mother didnt raise me very well

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater

I will assume you are a women...

A woman, not a women. And what does that have to do with the price of rice? Other than your comment immediately tells me that you are a cheuvanist since you automatically want to use my sex as in immediate reason to dismiss my point.
How sad.

Its always a problem if you make it out to be one and find reasons for it to be a problem when in reality, it isnt.

What a weak arguement to use to try to dismiss the concerns of others.
edit on 5-2-2013 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2013 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The really scary thing is that she, and others of her ilk are the ones that influence the policies of state institutions. Leftwing/Liberal groupthink has polluted just about every aspect of life in the western world, and it will only get worse for the reason I cited. The fact that anyone listens to these permanently offended, boilerplating, blowhards is ridiculous, the fact that these circle jerkers have such influence is depressing, and downright scary..

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

There are always other issues. Doesn't give you the right to dismiss the concerns of others. Just because there are people living in landfills in Mexico, doesn't negate my concern for how I am going to pay the rent this month.

Being dismissive of people's issues is nothing but a cop out.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LipstickMystic

There is also hyper-sexualization of men in adverts too. And alot of woman do also see a sexy guys and think of fornicating with them. There is nothing wrong with that and there is NO thought rape because that is just some made up new-age words to induce some kind of freaky guilt trip.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
She didn't make much mention on how commercials—whether sexist or not—marginalize the whole of society, men, women and children, by reducing them to mere consumers.

How the commercials have become more important than the event itself shows that the effect is working.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

But that would not further her agenda.. Because only women matter and their feelings, no one else.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Feminist claim to be standing up for all women.
I don't need them.
I wear big girl panties and can stand up for my self.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I don't like feminist because rather then taking responsibility for themselves they blame everything on being a women.. It doesn't matter if you don't have a college degree so you don't get the job, its I didn't get the job because I am a women.. ect...

Real women take responsibility for themselves. Just like real men.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

...where do babies come from...

When i was little i remember my mom told me that babies form in the belly when i wish for little brother or sister, and it made sense.

Then i learned about it at 9yrs old.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join