It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Commenting Threads: Good, Bad, or Not at All...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Sometimes we will read or write a thread, and based on the responses or OP itself, we have to wonder who is behind the words. On a site like ATS its not just the words, but stars and flags, and even mod intervention that can leave us to wonder so many things, sometimes even forgetting what got us there in the first place.

I have left here for a while, and wanted my return to have something to do with some of the things that will be shown in this thread. Thank you, NRE.

1-9-90 rule

As many of you may already know, there is this thing called a 1-9-90 rule of online participation. In any given online community, about 1% of the participants produce most of the content, another 9% participate regularly by editing (e.g., on a wiki), commenting (on blogs and articles), occasionally producing new content (in forums, etc), and the remaining 90% are ‘lurkers’ who do not publicly participate but only read (though these days, many of them participate a little more publicly, if not creatively, by “Liking”, tweeting, and otherwise sharing the content in ways that are visible to others, but without adding any thoughts of their own). The exact proportions vary from site to site, but are usually close enough to 1-9-90 for the general rule to hold.

But there is another problem here – most of the good, nice, constructive commenters may have gone silent and taken their discussions of your blog elsewhere, but the remaining few commenters are essentially trolls.

blogs.scientificamerican.com...

We have all had at least one incident in which we didnt not agree with a mod's decision, but believe sometimes it is for the greater good, and I firmly believe that if a mod makes a mistake (which they can, they are humans NOT bots), then it can and should be discussed, and fixed if necessary.

There are many terms and different forms of mods, this is the one that I think applies here on ATS.

Modifying comments – leaving the inappropriate comments on site, but altering them in ways that makes them much harder to read, or making the commenter look silly, e.g, by inserting a picture of a bunny rabbit, or disemvoweling or using the Kitten Setting. The lightest ‘touch’ is to leave the comment as it is, but remove a link contained in the comment if it leads to a site you do not want to send traffic to. And yes, all of this is completely legal, and a very good strategy.

And lets not forget we have all seen the "Free Speech" term used. When I read on, even though ALL does not apply to ATS, some points made me think further.

Yes, all methods of comment moderation are perfectly legal and don’t let any media lawyer tell you otherwise – they keep getting it wrong.

Free Speech is a very American concept. Most of the other 200 nations on the planet do not provide constitutional protection of free speech. And Internet is global.

And even within the USA, the concept of free speech does not mean everyone has the right to say everything everywhere. It does not mean you have the right to say your stuff on my blog. It means you have the right to start your own blog. Just because I have commenting functionality on my site, does not mean you have the right to post whatever you want on it. Every host of every site has the right to delete, edit, or modify any comment in any way, to ban users, and to implement whatever moderation norms and techniques one wants.

Commenting is a privilege, not a right. You have to earn it.

Ok enough of the external content.

There are many of us that see a decline in the writing and participation of ATS, and yes I left because of it, but until I put things into perspective I began to see something else, something a bit more personal, and it gave me a new start to return, and even help make a difference if I can.

There hasnt been a decline.. WHAT FOR IT.... the numbers have changed, and thats it!! I been lurking for the last week, while sitting on this thread, and was going around looking at threads with older members,and noticed they have (some) fall prey to what so many are disgusted by.

Falling for the one liners,or the nonsensical thread where some are obviously looking for attention, and it was just to point out, that they are looking for attention. What we forget is the numbers!! Yes the numbers.

Every time you write the numbers rise, which causes curiosity to other members which makes them come in for a while. Imagine if 1 member does this for one month!? Then it becomes the "norm". Lets switch that up. Lets make this the place that we want to see. This is my place of solace, and I dont want to lose it, if I can help it.

This will show those that choose to disrupt, or copy and paste everything on yahoo news, that yeah, we know it on the MSM, and if we needed it we can turn on the t.v.

I fear that we are losing an entire group of people that came here from the "other side", and just saw a condensed version of it here.

Thanks for your time, Peace, NRE.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Every time you write the numbers rise, which causes curiosity to other members which makes them come in for a while. Imagine if 1 member does this for one month!? Then it becomes the "norm". Lets switch that up. Lets make this the place that we want to see. This is my place of solace, and I dont want to lose it, if I can help it.

Very well said my dear friend. We have make this big No more of those crappy threads/andor posts with 0 information.
Lets make this a even better place.
I really wish we get a few more SLAYER69.
edit on 5-2-2013 by inj3ct0r because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Nice post NRE.

I'm a returning member my self, and you would be familiar with me if I provided my previous user name

If there is one thing I have refrained from this time around, its not replying to one liners, detractors or trolls.

However, I have noticed that since I began IGNORING them, it frustrates them even more, although, I have now taken to ignoring odd comments, if they insist on trolling, I reply back highlighting the fact that they are trolling, and I will not take part.

That tactic has actually been successful, in fact, my new membership has been far more succesfull also in regards to my own rule breaking..Not broke one yet! lol.

We really should focus on being more constructive with our internet postings (which you are a very constructive poster I might add!), instead of stooping down to the levels of others.

SnF

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I learned in my Usenet days that everything I'm writing is actually more for the observers than the person I'm responding directly to. So I've always kept in mind that there are always far more people silently watching what the "2" of us are doing than we know.

Welcome back and gooooood luck.

edit on 5-2-2013 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErgoTheConclusion
I learned in my Usenet days that everything I'm writing is actually far more for the observers than the person I'm responding directly to. So I've always kept in mind that there are always far more people silently watching what the 2 of us are doing than we know.

Welcome back and gooooood luck.

edit on 5-2-2013 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

By the way Ergo,

Your mini profile avatar is responsible for the infinity tattoo I got the other month

Sorry for the off Topic NRE, but I had to share aha.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

Also welcome back, Im great with names so I am sure I would remember you.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver

....we have to wonder who is behind the words...
You don't have to. You choose to. Personally, I prefer it that way. The words are the most important part, regardless of who is typing them.

[color=888888]ie. Don't judge a book by it's cover.

There are many terms and different forms of mods, this is the one that I think applies here on ATS.

Modifying comments – leaving the inappropriate comments on site, but altering them in ways that makes them much harder to read, or making the commenter look silly, e.g, by inserting a picture of a bunny rabbit, or disemvoweling or using the Kitten Setting. The lightest ‘touch’ is to leave the comment as it is, but remove a link contained in the comment if it leads to a site you do not want to send traffic to. And yes, all of this is completely legal, and a very good strategy.
Well, this is a privately owned website, so of course it's legal. Regardless, that is something I have not seen much of. Maybe just a handful of times, but not frequently.

A couple brief personal side notes:

This will show those that choose to disrupt, or copy and paste everything on yahoo news, that yeah, we know it on the MSM, and if we needed it we can turn on the t.v.

• It hasn't happened often, but has happened to me more than once. After asking a question, the reply received, states to "Google it." Each time has given me the same thought: If I wanted to Google various random topics/subjects/events/words/images/etc....., then I would not have opened up ATS. Instead, I would've went straight to Google.

• I will NEVER open a thread that has 'Must Read' in the title. Yeah, I'm sure I have missed out on plenty of things that I would have found interesting, but I just don't like people telling me what to do, or telling me what is important to me. (especially nameless faceless strangers)

I just wish that others would do the same. A sort of Boycott on the 'Must-Read's.

edit on 2/5/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

• posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:51 AM
    link   
    I've never heard of the 1-9-90 rule before, so thanks for highlighting that.

In fact we can see an example on this very thread: at time of posting this there are 4 comments (now 6) and 9 flags... Statistics in Action

I think as we all know ATS relies solely on user generated content, so its in our own interest to ensure that the content provided by both Op's and commenters is of high quality, original and relevant.

I'm a relative newcomer, only being a member for a little over 484,000 minutes, but I admit that I lurk more than post unless I've got something constructive to bring to the conversation. Its fairly obvious that some people are fixated with post count, stars and flags, but bring little if nothing to the overall debate... If thats your style try Farcebook.

I'm also passionate about this place and would hate to see it become what other places have.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:24 AM
    link   

Good points.

Mediocrity is not only a problem, it's a fundamental occurrence. Those that may have higher tastes, or at least a higher standard of quality, lose out on what they're looking for while getting lost in the pure inundation of this mediocrity. Finding something worthwhile in a realm where every Dick and Jane get a say is difficult.

Mediocrity is found in all art, thread writing included, and it happens whenever the general populace feels they want to become an artist, but lack the necessary striving for quality found in true artistic endeavours.

Quality involves work, and work is something the lazy avoid. Hence we get copy/pastes, reposts, and—god forbid—thoughtless opinions void of anything substantial.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:46 AM
    link   

I dig it! S&F for you~

To add, the Internet/texting is very very very imprersonal. Meaning that the wrong word can insite anger in one reader and a light bulb in the other.

It's the inevetiable gambit of the forum's, a battlefield of the 1-9-90.

To let a "one liner" from a Lurker who is trying insite anger or ridicule in a negative manor doesn't really say much for that person. I call them Internet Tough Guys on the phone Telephone Tough Guy~ I'm not impressed

I've read many a Solid threads and Many Highly Antiquated responses. a long with the Rhetorical statements of the Lurkers.

I never took negativity lightly in my personal life and I will stand in my integrity in this life. I will re-orginize my thoughts based off of reasonable and solid facts received through myself seeking a higher knowledge. To those on the Path behind I will help with the knowledge i've gained without the EGO to help further there experiance and knowledge of this planet we all reside.

To those that Lash out on another feelings or views is just poor mannerism. To thee I say, we will meet soon enough won't we.

And good-day~

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:48 AM
    link   

There are many of us that see a decline in the writing and participation of ATS

I try to add content, like the link in my sig. Its my most thought out and time consuming post. I think, and those who responded, that its a pretty good post.

But how many responders does it get?

I think that can be very dissuading for people towards continuing to add content when what they write is largely ignored because it is slightly longer than a text message on there phone would be.

Point being: the content that is supported by the members is what will proliferate. If cut and paste news articles with no meaningful commentary are getting 100 flags in a 12 hour period... you can expect to see more news articles with no commentary. Flags of course being indicative of the level of attention and readership of a thread.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:48 AM
    link   
    On an instinctive level, I suspect that a no 'like' or star system would yield more quality of thought.

There are ways to curb exposure to anyone's written thought content, ranging from simply passing on their placement on 'recent posts', to placing the person in an absolute vacuum (ghosting the author). In terms of universal cause and effect, there is nothing that anyone can do. The Universe is listening.
    edit on 5-2-2013 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:12 PM
    link   
    I think part of the issue is people just don't want to participate and would rather lurk.

Remember, anything posted under your username here stays around on the internet forever. With ever increasing laws like the Patriot Act, NDAA, ect -- people may be afraid to voice their opinions. It's simpler to sit back and hope other people say what you're feeling.

People are starting to keep their heads down more and more. Opinions aren't being changed, its people's willingness to discuss them that has/is being changed. It's far safer to spout off a one-liner than to go off into a diatribe that might be construed as "anti-American".

At least that's what I've noticed since I joined years ago.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:42 PM
    link   

NRE, that is a great GIF in the original post! I decided this was not only an honest attempt to reach out and enlighten members on the subject concerned, but also all entirely and genuinely true. Even if much of what you have said is your own opinion and experience I would say many could relate.

The internet provides what I would say is 99percent stupidity, lies and rambling of idiots.. But if you can sift through to the 1percent, sometimes you can find what you are looking for. This means the internet is not only a means to find what you are looking for, but a means to gain skill and technique in discernment of truth from lie, fact from fiction. For me this is a very important thing and those who come to the internet to 'bring down the discussion level' merely provide an example of what to avoid once a person has experienced where that can lead to.

Thanks for making this thread and perhaps others will find it as a shining light here in ATS. ATS, like any place on the internet, can attract sometimes heated debate, sometimes even negativity that leads to moderator intervention.. This to me is nothing more than the development of thick skin for the internet user. The harsher the enviroment, the stronger the individual must be to survive. The internet is a harsh place at times.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:54 PM
    link   
    Why is this thread in the Psychology, Philosophy, and Metaphysics forum?

I'm not saying it doesn't belong here, I'm just genuinely curious why you posted to this forum, where it will recieve a considerably different audience and reception than if you posted on Board Business and Questions.

Are you bringing this up solely for philosophical discussion among members, and not for board members to use this information to bring about a lasting change?

I see a lot of threads on the Psychology, Philosophy, and Metaphysics forum and wonder why they are there... but the beauty of this forum is when I open up the thread and read it I can usually see how it relates to Philosophy in some way or another. I have some speculations about why this thread is here but that's all it is, speculation.

I also bring this up because I've had several threads moved out of this forum that I would rather have kept here, because this particular audience generates a very particular open-minded discussion that is hard to find anywhere else.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:56 PM
    link   
    reply to post by MystikMushroom

I think in large part, people are afraid to post because of the increase in negativity. There has been an increase in negativity, that cannot be disregarded. Not sure if it is due to random factors, such as age and the disrespect that is known to come with certain age groups, and that peer pressure, or because of the growing discontent with the government, economy, etc. Obviously, in political or racial issues, those things can be directly blamed on government direction, IMO. The government has facilitated, and the people have allowed, a division amongst us.

You can certainly see the statistics at work, however, when a potentially charged issue is posted, and has no replies and 30 flags. It becomes obvious at some point when the mostly negative replies start pouring in, that the positive flags prove they are from people that are afraid to get into the fray, for whatever reason. In a sense, it leaves the OP to be a spokesperson of a sort for the people that are afraid to speak. I have seen this, and flagged threads where I would not get involved, but supported the OP, so I have been on both sides of that spectrum.

Admittedly, I have fallen into that category myself, especially when certain posters used to reside here, that no longer do. There is something to be said for targetted criticism and intentionally silencing people. It has happened, and will continue to happen, but proving it is rather difficult, if not impossible to do.

edit on 5-2-2013 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:26 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Libertygal

You bring up a good point about the negativity that floats around here. That is part of the reason why I almost exclusively post in this Psych/Philosophy/Metaphysics forum, because people are generally thoughtful and positive. I suspect that is also part of the reason why this thread was posted in this forum.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:55 AM
    link   
    You know when there is a time to worry when even lurkers wont come by, just yesterday, I frequent a page where a thread here was posted about what is happening to ATS.

So many where there saying the same things, "its not the same", "is anyone else noticing", "I wont go back", and these are mostly lurkers only. I am in no way promoting less threads or visits here, just maybe a change, an actually necessary change.

I can only hope that it will work itself out, but you never know.

Do we have to change with the times? Do we as a community have to stand up for what we feel, or are we to small to be able to do so?

Peace, NRE.

new topics

top topics

join