It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea threatens "stronger" measures than nuclear test

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   

It did not spell out the actions it would take. The North is not capable of staging a military strike on the United States, although South Korea is in range of its artillery and missiles and it can hit Japan with its missiles.

"The DPRK (Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea, or North Korea) has drawn a final conclusion that it will have to take a measure stronger than a nuclear test to cope with the hostile forces nuclear war moves that have become ever more undisguised," the North's KCNA state news agency said.

- Source

Alternative Source

what could they mean by 'stronger' measure than a nuclear test? All-out war and/or an invasion of South Korea? The rhetoric becomes harsher every day, which is worrisome.
I just don't get what they think they could gain from 'stronger' measures, any thoughts?
The first quote shows us, that the US is increasingly worried as well.. only time will tell.

edit on 5-2-2013 by Zerschmetterling because: addition

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I can't think of anything that could be classified as "stronger measures" than a nuclear test other than some kind of strike. This along with that weird video of America burning is starting to worry me.
edit on 5-2-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Rhetoric, as usual. Don't think they will do anything. They'll be bombed back to the Stone Age if they do.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
north korea rules by threat of death, this can not be called a "government"....it is simply an organized gang of thugs. to give it any more credence than that, is what has kept it in power this long. north korea has been and is the embodiment of george orwells 1984...a preview from the movie 1984, starring john hurt:
www.youtube.com...
i think this should be a mandatory movie seen in every school, and a mandatory book report assignment in every language or history class.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zerschmetterling
The rhetoric becomes harsher every day, which is worrisome.

Because that's ALL what those backward countries can bring to the table: RHETORIC.
Those people live like 30-50 years in the past. Let them go to war with SK or any other country.
All I can say is "lol". Seriously. Maybe Kung-Fu-Guy or whatever his name is should first start feeding his own people and get his own country into the same century..then those threats might look less hilarious.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Razziazoid

Actually,they aren't all that far removed from the Stone Age as it is.
But seriously I don't believe North Korea could reach American soil with any kind of strike,but they could make life difficult for some of our Allies,if they were of the mind to. Probably just rhetoric and empty threats though.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Post by Zerschmetterling
what could they mean by 'stronger' measure than a nuclear test?

On Saturday, North Korea posted a video on YouTube which depicted a US city resembling New York engulfed in flames after an apparent missile attack.
rt.com...

I'm not sure if this was posted by North Korea or not but here it is .
We are the world ?

www.news.com.au...
I can't find it on YT

I can't see it on the official NK channel either
www.youtube.com...

edit on 5-2-2013 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by gortex

Post by Zerschmetterling

On Saturday, North Korea posted a video on YouTube which depicted a US city resembling New York engulfed in flames after an apparent missile attack.
rt.com...

We are the world ?

www.news.com.au...
I can't find it on YT

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com... there it is

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
having both been to sth korea and visited the DMZ I have always kept an eye on DPRK

my take so far
1. they are broke and starving
2. the regime is repulsive, google 3 generation punishment.
3. their army is decrepit
4. china will beat south korea to any invasion
5. they pursue racial purity concepts the nazis would envy
6. apart from an initial devastating salvo DPRK are incapable of presenting a threat past twenty minutes
7. a united korea is inevitable

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
i think by far a biological attack would be greater than a nuclear attack. nuclear is limited to the city which bombed. biological can spread rapidly thru out the nation.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
If after seeing that video people still don't believe the Nk regime are psychopathic must be blind.They are capable of anything,anytime.Maniacs in charge.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Razziazoid

I just hope they remember they are not "invincibullll"

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
NK has been all talk for nearly 50 years now. they may have a large standing army, but no means to transport them or sustain a supply line.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
NK has been all talk for nearly 50 years now. they may have a large standing army, but no means to transport them or sustain a supply line.

But at the same time, they don't need to.

Their biggest plan is to reunite with the South. They haven't shown any interest in invasions, except the South reunification, which they consider a crime aided by the West, thus the "US is our mortal enemy" kind of rhetoric.

To me, personally, doesn't matter that their people are in starvation or in desperate need of assistance. North Korea can turn out to be a colossal problem. They are not a guerrilla army, they are a full proportioned military force - even if they lack projection outside of their territory.

If a bunch of extremists can cause chaos in Afghanistan/Iraq and the other revolutions in Africa/ME, can you imagine if someone thinks they can pull off the same type of thing in North Korea?

A provocative strike - serious enough, like an EMP or nuclear strike (or even attempt to) - would mean a retaliation against them. That would open a very nasty can of worms for the West to deal with.

Even if the only decision made is to go over there and "finish the job" that was created with the Korean war, that will be a very hard subject to handle. They have a massive army and a very fanatic and manipulated population.

From this point of rhetoric and situation, things either get easily solved, or we are in for a really bumpy ride. In my opinion, at least.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zerschmetterling

Originally posted by gortex

Post by Zerschmetterling

rt.com...

We are the world ?

www.news.com.au...
I can't find it on YT

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com... there it is

Went to your youtube link and got this message:

"《은하 9》호를 타고..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Activision Games Inc.

Sorry about that.

What does Activision Games Inc. have to do with this video???? I happened to download from the youtube link earlier. The one link you provided is still available at this time. (www.news.com.au...)

This video is a strange video and it would be helpful if someone could interpret the words on the screen.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Activision Games appealed to YouTube apparently because the North Korean Dream Propaganda Video was using footage of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, the scene in which the american city blows up.. just for clarification

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

if activision took it down its most likely a video from the second home-front game?that is supposed to come out soon (2013) so id have to say its most likely not a legit vid

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
North Korea has atomic bombs and at best they can generate a nuclear reaction equivalent to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. As far as the potential of an EMP they could in theory knock out all power in South Korea, Vietnam
or Japan if the targeted those countires individually.

The Congress of the United States would imediately declarewar and in truth China's economy would suffer teribly just because NK targeted any of these countries with an EMP detonation. In reality any missle lunched from NK that did not go strait up in relation to lauching a satelite would be destroyed long before it hit any of these countries.

There is no way they have today the technology to actually be a threat to the United States, they can certainly try to fire a missile at us but that missile, would be destroyed long before it came anywhere close to Hawaii.
edit on 5-2-2013 by Kashai because: modified content

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Actually it is a bit more complex than that.

Once the lead starts flying there, between 2 and 5 million souls would parish just in South Korea in the first week.

NK has 10s of thousands of artillery pieces all pointed at SK.

It would be a blood bath of epic proportions, that may even go nuclear or start WW3.

Just saying.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by lnfideI

If North Korea began the conflict there is no legitimate reason that China would get involved. There are actually Chinese reports offered by WikiLeaks, presenting that China feels it would be better off, if NK were conquered by the United States.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join