Why smart phones should be declared a pillar of civilization

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Greetings. First off, thank me all you want for this thread but you should also thank NarcolepticBuddha, my inspiration for writing this thread in retaliation to his.

Dumb People & Their Smart Phones

And my inspiration for joining ATS to write great threads: Slayer69. Thanks again bud, keep opening the eyes of the world.

ATS: The exciting frontier. These are the voyages of member beautyofperil. His never-ending mission to explore strange new ideas, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no ATSer has gone before.

Now to the point. Well I can relate to NarcolepticBuddha's pov in Dumb People & Their Smart Phones but au contraire, they not only feature language translations, GPS guiding and tracking, internet connection(and all the wonders that come with it), camera, video recording, games, weather updates, disaster warnings and so much more in one little package other than calling and texting whenever your in a service area. Which no doubt is an attention thief.

They bring priceless value to society, without them we are just humans, they are an extension of our body which allows us to become nearly cybernetic and that I embrace with open arms, my friends.

Civilization is not the same without them, these idiots as he says give smart phones, and I can't stress enough how I can relate, but they give them a bad name. "With great power comes great responsibility."

Can you call if you fall and break yourself and cannot get up with out one of these devices? Now with a smartphone, you do not even need to speak and they can triangulate your position if required. Very useful for a society such as this.

Commercial perks and Q.O.L. as well are no doubt part of what is great about them to.

Do the elites hoard these and charge outrageous prices for them? NO! If you do it right, at least where I am from. You can get technology of this nature and values at over a thousand dollars sometimes simply by signing a few papers in the beginning and pay it off over time in small increments well getting service with that same payment. So innovative planning and distributed to all who desire them with little effort. Like me, mine is a BB Torch I received when I had $0 in the bank, $0 and it was valued at $900.

If you seen numerous girls using them at a sleepover it is simply a discretion issue that they are texting one another or maybe a cause for concern as it could be a very unsavoury man and his friends they are discreetly texting.

It's helped me in so many ways, and I've never once used it like an idiot. So it goes to show if you do not like them you have to be Amish or a redneck or just an idiot yourself.

Embrace the new pillar of civilization, its not Kool-Aid, it is a cool aid and a necessity for development of a society as whole in the direction of safety and Q.O.L. and entertainment.

Hope you enjoyed my piece of mind.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by inj3ct0r

Smartphones are Government and Corporation data collection and tracking devices. For as long as you carry a smartphone in your pocket, you have no privacy.
edit on 5-2-2013 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by inj3ct0r

Soon it will be mandatory and they will come to give you a smart phone!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Good keep me making me awesome products you pricks, is all I have to say to them about that. I die anyways and my privacy do not mean anything in the end does it? So why should I care when I am alive, you only live once.
edit on 5-2-2013 by beautyofperil because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by beautyofperil

It depends if you appreciate being unindated with direct marketing or not, with advertisers selling products they think you are likely to buy, in their opinion. Also I wonder if you would appreciate it, when your government uses the device to start tracking where you have been and telling you to go and exercise more because you haven't walked enough distance this week.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

That would mean my government actually has a brain than, so yes.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by inj3ct0r
Smartphones aren't necessary, but they are useful. I'm a teen and I have made great use of my Nokia lumia 820. It provides me with gps location and directions which comes in handy as I get to know my new area. Also, I'm able to instantly check my email which comes in handy when I'm working under a deadline for high school and am running all over the place to get help. Unlike normal phones when I am waiting in an airport I can read a book I downloaded from the app store. They also works as ipods making it easier to not have to carry a phone and ipod at the same time. Granted these aren't necessary but smartphones are useful and fun.
edit on 5-2-2013 by inj3ct0r because: (no reason given)

im confused, are you trying to sell me something?

or just plugging a nokia phone?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   

I'm not sure you read my OP very well. I have NO problem with smart phones. I have a problem with people doing stupid things with them.

Here are some of my key points:

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
Hey, I like technology, and gadgets, and media as much as the next guy or gal.
Sure they can look up the latest news, movie showtimes, exotic recipes

I don't hate technology. Smart phones can be pretty nifty when used properly and conscientiously

But what gets me is how stupid people become when they whip out their smart phones.

Obviously this doesn't refer to everybody..just the people that do dumb things with their phones.

You can call me a fuddy-duddy, but it drives me up the wall when people are playing with their phones in the middle of a classroom lecture, a dark movie theater, or even a funeral . Some people just don't acknowledge that there is a time and place for everything. It is rude, tactless, and narcissistic.
I have literally looked to the driver next to me on the freeway and seen them texting away with one hand on the wheel and no eyes on the road

Are you really going to defend this kind of reckless and rude behavior?

You have quoted my signature, "With great power must come great responsibility." ...all I'm asking is that people be responsible with their smart phones.
edit on 5-2-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

Sell you something?

Oh so you are another smartphone hater.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

reply to post by jazzguy

Sell you something?

I think Jazzguy has a valid point... sounds to me like your post was either a blatant sales pitch or it was pulled from somewhere else. Search engines are great aren't they (wink wink)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
An iPhone is an amazing device, its a phone, a camera, an MP3 player, a TV, a radio capable of tunning into almost any station. its a drum machine,a synthesiser, a games machine, a book reader an audio book player a GPS sat nav, a web browser. For all these goodies in one device I allow the government to track me.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Do you have a smart phone?

I have a smart brain...

Can I borrow your phone for a sec?...Just a quick call....I'm out of range with this old phone I have.

Thx...

I type in a number...wait ten seconds and type in a pin.

Here's your phone back...thanks.

I just linked your phone to a company I have an account with (you just thought I made a phone call)

From now on I have access to every bit of information that passes thru your phone. All texts, all
conversations, all messages and voice-mails, all internet transactions, all of your contacts...EVERYTHING.

I can even track you in real time, turn on your microphone and listen to ambient conversations,
or turn on your camera and see what it sees...all in real time...and it is LEGAL.

Smart phone is a misnomer....Personal data mining device is more appropriate a name

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Severin

reply to post by jazzguy

Sell you something?

I think Jazzguy has a valid point... sounds to me like your post was either a blatant sales pitch or it was pulled from somewhere else. Search engines are great aren't they (wink wink)

So you think I am here to promote Nokia Lumia?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Severin

reply to post by jazzguy

Sell you something?

So you think I am here to promote Nokia Lumia?

I actually said either... and please don't act so naive. You know EXACTLY what I mean, do want me to provide links?
edit on 5-2-2013 by Severin because: clarity

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

You actually need to read mine.

2.)I said I can relate.
3.)I totally agree with you.

I will never defend this kind of behaviour hence:

It's helped me in so many ways, and I've never once used it like an idiot. So it goes to show if you do not like them you have to be Amish or a redneck or just an idiot yourself.

I do have this thing called sympathy though, hence:

Which no doubt is an attention thief.

My point that it was in retaliation was that dumb people give them a bad name and I seen numerous members mocking the product in the replies of your thread.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Alright, I guess you're correct. My bad, dude. I apologize for jumping the gun on that one. Shame on me. I kinda had a knee-jerk response there and read your OP again, and saw it differently.

Good job representing your side of the argument

Sorry again for the fail on my part.

(And I didn't steal the quote, I quoted it and cited it
)
edit on 5-2-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Great, its all good. I knew you would understand and I don't blame you as I stated it was in retaliation and with all the dummies running around on devices they can barely use, how could you waste your time.

I see your logic on the quote now and edited out for your convenience.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Severin

Your taking his reply out of perspective, if you wouldn't mind reevaluating his response, he was merely debating my statement that it was necessary, though he def could of worded it differently.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by beautyofperil
reply to post by Severin

Your taking his reply out of perspective, if you wouldn't mind reevaluating his response, he was merely debating my statement that it was necessary, though he def could of worded it differently.

Severin was right. My reaction in this thread was inappropriate.

Thanks severin.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join