Scientists ‘print’ 3D object with stem cells

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   

HI
sry if this has been posted I did a search

This is awesome.the 3D printer might eliminate the need for organ donors, and animal testing gotta love that

www.rawstory.com...

Scientists on Monday said that for the first time they had printed 3D objects using human embryonic stem cells, furthering the quest to fabricate transplantable organs.

Once fine-tuned, the technology should allow scientists to make three-dimensional human tissue in the lab, eliminating the need for organ donation or testing on animals, they reported.

Human embryonic stem cells (hESCs) can replicate indefinitely and become almost any type of cell in the human body

That is crazy. It says they expect the tech to be perfected in a couple of years wow

We are able to print millions of cells within minutes,” co-author Will Shu of the Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, told AFP.

“The printer is similar to the size of a standard desktop-size laser printer.”

The living cells are printed onto a culture dish and left to aggregate together to form “what we call a spheroid, like… a little ball,” said Shu

edit on 5-2-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)
edit on 5-2-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
They will soon be printing plastic surgery too, on this sickening charade we know as existence...

Looks like Michael Jackson missed out on the ride of his life.

Awesome tech though!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Print a pet, or print your own baby....... Coming to a store near you soon.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I'm afraid this technical feat is simultaneously ushering in the age of the officially replacable person.

I wonder how long it will be before no lawsuits toward drug makers are permitted because hey, they'll print you a new liver since they destroyed the old one. Give it 20 years...

Science always defiles humanity in lieu of keeping its ego in check.

But I guess someone will argue that it's for the children.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Well if they can print organs and so on, im sure it wont be long till they can print a new me.

Everyone was up in arms when the first heart transplant took place, yet today its a day to day procedure, I see this going the exact same way, just on a much bigger scale.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

wow is that the actual image or artist rendition?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~
reply to post by goou111

wow is that the actual image or artist rendition?

Im not sure
its the image from teh link

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Congratulations!

This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday night between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website. You can also connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here to listen to the ATSLive Radio Show on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

top topics

join