Obama Administration and Drone Strikes on Americans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
With Obama's crazy executive orders now this, people need to watch out. Any crisis can be deemed a national emergency by Obama and these orders will kick in. The Congress can't review it for 6 months.Here's more:

A confidential Justice Department memo concludes that the U.S. government can order the killing of American citizens if they are believed to be “senior operational leaders” of al-Qaida or “an associated force” -- even if there is no intelligence indicating they are engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S.

The 16-page memo, a copy of which was obtained by NBC News, provides new details about the legal reasoning behind one of the Obama administration’s most secretive and controversial polices: its dramatically increased use of drone strikes against al-Qaida suspects, including those aimed at American citizens, such as the September 2011 strike in Yemen that killed alleged al-Qaida operatives Anwar al-Awlaki and Samir Khan. Both were U.S. citizens who had never been indicted by the U.S. government nor charged with any crimes.

But the confidential Justice Department “white paper” introduces a more expansive definition of self-defense or imminent attack than described by Brennan or Holder in their public speeches. It refers, for example, to what it calls a “broader concept of imminence” than actual intelligence about any ongoing plot against the U.S. homeland.

openchannel.nbcnews.com...

It's funny how Obama followers cried about blowback and they said King Obama will make the world love us. What do you think Obama is creating with drone strikes? When that young boy sees his little sister dead because of a Drone strike, a terrorist will be born. Obama wants drone strike where there isn't even any evidence of a plot against the U.S.

I would rather have waterboarding where the terrorist was punished instead of drone strikes that kill 6 year olds.
edit on 5-2-2013 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)
edit on 5-2-2013 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I like drones they keep our pilots safe. If we didn’t have drones there would be strikes from manned aircraft. At least with drones they can linger in areas and have time to confirm the target. Of course they can always go back to carpet bombing.

I am sure someone will flame me for being rational.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
I like drones they keep our pilots safe. If we didn’t have drones there would be strikes from manned aircraft. At least with drones they can linger in areas and have time to confirm the target. Of course they can always go back to carpet bombing.

I am sure someone will flame me for being rational.

Whether you like drones or not isnt what this is about, its about the government looking for ways to justify assassinating American citizens with no trial what so ever if they are just "believed" to be linked to a terrorist group. Now, you can say "I aint a terrorist so I have nothing to worry about". But, you have to always remember that the people in power can and often do change their definition of what a terrorist is.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
If you don't want to die in a drone strike then don't hang out with Al Qaeda in their middle east training camps...simple as that really

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Honestly, our military has been shooting deserters or others without a trial for a long time. Was actually pretty common in the Revolution and the Civil War.

They did it to make examples out of them or for other crimes. I certainly don't agree with what Obama is doing but its not a new concept, killing Americans.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
"The U.S. government can order the killing of American citizens if they are believed to be ‘senior operational leaders’ of Al Qaeda or ‘an associated force,' the memo states.

The U.S. government can even do so even if there is no clear evidence that the American targeted is engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S."

Well you Americans did vote for change

Enjoy your change
edit on 5-2-2013 by dmsuse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Normally I agree with much you post and have a great amount of respect for you but I have to say that on this issue, it really isn't as simple as that.

In his February 2012 remarks, DOD General Counsel Johnson said the AUMF remains the "bedrock" of the military's domestic legal authority, adding that it only covers the use of force against al-Qaeda and "associated forces," and not all terrorists. Notably, Johnson reaffirmed the administration's prerogative to kill targets "without a geographic limitation," including "belligerents who also happen to be U.S. citizens."

cfr.org

Blaming Obama alone is silly, this is the work of our entire government since 9/11, nothing partisan. However, I think it is also silly to not see that Obama is advancing these policies and codifying the broadening of terms to include US citizens. "without a geographic limitation" that is utterly terrifying. It isn't conspiracy, it is US law. While I don't think Obama is going to order any drone strike on American soil, the door is open. The door is open for any Commander in Chief to order a drone strike in any country on the planet.

It's a door that should be never be open because God knows who the hell is going to be our next President and every election since 9/11 and until all this BS is overturned is asking us to trust that it won't be a person who will wield this authority with malice. That is something we are supposed to be guaranteed protection from by the Constitution.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Spookycolt

This is a poor example. Military personal fall under a different set of laws than civilians called the Uniform Code of Military Justice. The UCMJ specifically spells out what can and cannot be done to deserters in wartime and in peacetime. And yes in wartime desertion can warrant execution. The UCMJ gives many of the same rights to military personal as civilians have, but there are some key differences. This means that military don't have the same rights as civilians despite being American. But it is necessary to run an efficient military.
edit on 5-2-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Yes I know they are different but its also precedence for what would be considered treason, of which, the penalty can be execution.

Therefore its not a stretch to consider someone that cannot be grabbed for trial to be summarily convicted of it and a sentence carried out if there is a reasonable chance of hostile attack against the US or her citizens.

It is the Presidents call.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Treason can result in execution, but that doesn't mean you can deny that person a right to a fair trial. It is spelled out in our Constitution that you are awarded these rights regardless of where you are. These people are not military so it is required that the government obtain evidence, arrest the person, and give him a fair trial. Just because this guy may or may not be a bad guy trying to undermine our Republic does not mean we can just throw his rights out the _

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Grey area.

The Constitution doesn't apply if you flee the country and refuse to come to trial.

A decision at that point has to be made. Do you allow possible threats to exist because you can't get someone?

We can also revoke someone's citizenship if they commit certain acts, one of which is the act of committing treason.

At that point, all Constitutional rights are forfeit.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Yes if they flee upon request for them to come in then it could be warranted to pursue revocation of rights. However, these people where just murdered for being suspected terrorists. The government didn't even bother to tell them that they were under suspicion. How can you not see anything wrong with this? What happens if the government labels people who visit this site as trying to subvert the government and therefore terrorists. Because lord knows there is plenty of subversion discussion happening on this forum. That would make you fall under this illegal act.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
If you don't want to die in a drone strike then don't hang out with Al Qaeda in their middle east training camps...simple as that really

Dude! You're not paying attention!!!

First of all, this administration has already labeled ANYONE who doesn't agree with them as a "Terrorist". Constitutionalists are terrorists. Gun owners are terrorists. Practitioners of religion are terrorists. Those who disagree with the government are terrorists.

Next, drones are being deployed throughout the United States - NOT just the middle east. How can you not see what is happening here???

You are the frog in the pot and the rest of us don't have the luxury of you pretending it's just some type of spa. Sooner as opposed to later, the pot will boil. That is the plan. Please do not be one of their "useful idiots" in helping them to achieve their goal.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

You have somewhat of a point, people wanted to stand trial for crimes are killed everyday in stand offs etc... but there's some key differences here.

A confidential Justice Department memo concludes that the U.S. government can order the killing of American citizens if they are believed to be “senior operational leaders” of al-Qaida or “an associated force” -- even if there is no intelligence indicating they are engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S.

Look at what I've bolded... imo this is definitely not okay.

ETA this logic if applied to domestic law enforcement is the equivalent of a DA stating well, we think this person sold drugs and sending out cops to go kill that person. War is of course different but cmon.
edit on 5-2-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

These guys were hiding out in Yemen, its not like they flew a drone over St. Louis and took someone out. Obviously they had intelligence linking An-war to something and its not like they could stroll in there and pick him up.

Of course you do want to be careful that the government doesn't start that stuff here but in this case I can see their justification for it.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Pages and pages of endless threads about the birth certificate, and barely a peep about this ACTUAL CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION that has been leaked.

We deserve whatever we get, really. And you better believe we'll get it.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spookycolt

These guys were hiding out in Yemen, its not like they flew a drone over St. Louis and took someone out. Obviously they had intelligence linking An-war to something and its not like they could stroll in there and pick him up.

Of course you do want to be careful that the government doesn't start that stuff here but in this case I can see their justification for it.

They allready gave a green light for indefinate detention and killing Americans on U.S. SOIL simply by expanding the definition of what the battlefield is. Just cause they havent done it yet doesnt mean they wont. They allready started flying drones in many cities across the country and now this...it doesnt take a genius to put 2 and 2 together. Unless you are just trolling, of course.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
When a drone strike occurs in the U.S. , how much collateral damage will be acceptable ?
How many innocent lives can the people accept to kill one terrorist ?
Or will the public accept the governments story that all that were killed were terrorists ?
I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
So Obama doesn't have to get people to fire on Americans, he can kill us all with drones. Anyone who is against tyranny, for the constitution, and religious better keep an eye in the sky.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join