It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I alone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I am wondering does anyone out there also notice a sharp decline in their dream as I have. Just curious. I am asking the ATS crowd to participate in my research.(personal and not professional research)

Personally I have noticed a sharp decline in the past approx 10-15 years. I have my suspicions about the causes but what is relevant is your response, do you notice a decline in your dreams? What do you think the causes may be if your dreams have declined.

I hope to get responses like Yes I have noticed and the general time frame you believe this may have started.
Or no I have not noticed.
A recent thread has prompted me to peruse answers as I am annoyed at my lack of dreams. General chit chat is welcomed after responding to the question.
edit on 4-2-2013 by enament because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2013 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

The thread that inspired me is this one.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Well written and poses a lot of good points.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by enament
do you notice a decline in your dreams?

I actually noticed this last night before I went to sleep. I noticed I hadn't dreamt since the last day of 2012.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Interesting but what about before that ? more or less the same, or less than approx 15 years or so in the past?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I think it has to do with one's age. I remember as a kid dreaming all the time, having nightmares and all kinds of odd dreams, some of which I remember to this day. I think it is a function of being innocent and knowing nothing. A child's brain is trying to put meaning to a lot of unknowns.

As I've gotten older, my dreams have gotten less frequent, and these days I seem to dream only as a response to stress. I am way more laid back then when I was younger. And I know a lot more.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
No at 37 I haven't noticed a decline at all.
A long time ago I made a conscious effort to remember my dreams. Even to try and control them. I always have extremely vivid and wild dreams of things I couldn't imagine awake.. And frankly at times very mind opening. The problem now is that I don't get much good sleep. But to me its a price worth paying. Maybe you ju8st need to think about dreaming, or remembering your dreams before falling asleep. Kind of like a meditation.

edit on 5-2-2013 by SnakeShot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

I have the same experience as yourself and you do pose an interesting view point, do children dream more than adults? Or is the problem modern electronics and the electromagnetic waves they Emmit?

Interesting video that poses some interesting questions.(for those who can not watch the video a brief description can be found below.).

video questions modern wireless technology as being a possible cause of illness and other possible health concerns.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Apparently stress is a big contributor to quality sleep, resulting in lees dreaming because of lack of REM sleep.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Massive increase here
More dreams more lucid but strangely less sleep, hope that helps

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by enament

Hi there,

I'll share this with you, I read somewhere that the pineal gland is responsible for the secretion of hormones that stimulate the brain to have dreams.

I tried this myself and seems to have help me have lucid dreams in my sleep.

Try this for yourself while just before you go to sleep. While asleep at the bed, relax your body as much possible while concentrating your mind on the feeling of being relaxed.

You may feel some tingling sensation while attempting this, but pay no attention. Try remain in this state for at least 15 minutes, if haven't already fallen asleep.

Try to visualize things that make feel at ease. It also helps while in this relaxed state.

See if this can help you start dreaming again.

Peace

edit on 5-2-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by InnerPeace2012

Interesting .The pineal gland produces melatonin which helps with sleep and healing the body while asleep.

I do do mantras and relaxation techniques to relive headaches which involves imagining a healing energy beginning at your toes and moving towards your head. And it works a teacher I had in elementary school taught us this technique. If any one is curious about how to do it just PM me.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by enament

In reply to several posts (not that many will even bother to read this, I am sure), people ALWAYS dream.

If you don't remember your dreams, there is something suppressing the memory of the dream. That's not unusual, and it's well known to be a symptom of underlying psychological trouble (not mental disease, just so we're clear), but what exactly the cause still is a matter of contention.

So, if I were you, I would try to uncover any deep-seated source of psychological stress, or trauma, that may have happened at the time when you "stopped" dreaming - in reality, when you stopped remembering your dreams.
Maybe it's just that you're seriously discontent with your life.

edit on 5-2-2013 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

The only thing I can recall is the death of my grandmother which happened to be a relief that her suffering was over.
other than that I'm not sure.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Must be something wrong with me because I can't remember any dreams in along time.

I'm numb at the moment,in between realities.
edit on 5-2-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Are we talking dreams such as when one is sleeping or life long dreams? If either one I've noticed a bit of a decline in both at least for me.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by enament

Well, it may have been a greater trauma than you thought.
(BTW; I am very sorry to hear that she suffered and that you lost her.)

Think: what did she and her life (as you saw it) mean to you?
Were they somehow instrumental in your perception of your own future?
Did perhaps something - a deep-seated "dream" (as in aspiration) - die with her?

Anyway, keep thinking about the possible causes.
It won't hurt you, and it may help you regain your dreams.

Good luck.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystiqueAgent
Are we talking dreams such as when one is sleeping or life long dreams? If either one I've noticed a bit of a decline in both at least for me.

That's because they are connected in a very real way.

Must be something wrong with me because I can't remember any dreams in along time.
I'm numb at the moment,in between realities.

The "numbness" certainly is connected to the apparent "lack" of dreams.
(I am patching these replies together to perhaps help people see a pattern.)

To put it very, simplistically, when people are seriously disappointed in life, they can stop "dreaming" (as in: envisioning a future). This could be connected with the lack of remembered night dreams.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I love having a vibrant dream-life, its like living two separate realities and I have found that when my awake life has gotten dull usually through allowing my lifestyle to become repetitious then my dream life suffers also. So I break out of the rut which most often means stepping outside my comfort zone and forcing change. I hope the way I've described it makes sense. When I'm not dreaming I know my life is just getting too predictable and I have to do something about it.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

Hmm not sure on the connection perhaps other than the dreams help us cope with the fact that our lives outside of them may not be as glamorous? Or perhaps it's our real lives interfering with our dreams such as not getting enough sleep such and such? Though really I have no idea on the connection.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MystiqueAgent

What I meant was, when people, for whatever reason - usually as a result of a fundamental disappointment in life - curtail their own "dreams" for the future, that could result in a sort of "amnesia" when it comes to real dreams (in sleep).
Because whatever our dreams are, they do always reflect our hopes and fears; and those are, of course, linked to a vision of the future.
(Personally I believe the "wish fulfillment" role that some strongly advocate only explains a very tiny portion of dreams, usually those that stem directly from very immediate physical urges or stimuli.)

So if, following a disappointment or a trauma, a person suppresses active envisioning of the future, including most hopes (and with it most fears), that could result in dreams that are simply not "intelligible" enough to be properly registered by the dreamer.

It certainly would dovetail with the generally acknowledged view that, whatever the exact cause is, the failure to remember dreams - not the details of any given dreams but the fact that the person dreamed at all - is related to a feeling of profound, likely denied, malaise in the dreamer.

But whatever it is, I really think that anyone who experiences "dreamlessnes" would do well to examine their own vision of self and of their hopes for the future, because that's probably where the answer lies.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join