It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To hold a planet in one hand, and fossilized dinosaur eggs in the other is LIFE-CHANGING

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Hi everyone!

I hope this is the right place to post this, but I had a life-changing experience today that I had to show you!

I own an antique consignment business in Canada with a friend, and we recently came across an estate and got to go through and clean out the house and sort out the good from the bad and decide what we wanted to keep etc. So we went through box after box and eventually stumbled upon the find of a lifetime! At the bottom of this old cardboard box, there were about a dozen, what looked to be rocks or fossils.

After sorting through everything there were two things left in there that were very odd looking and seemed out-of-place, so we pulled them out and to our surprise.... in my hand I was holding what looked to be a fossilized jawbone with teeth in it (or so I thought). After further research it turns out they are a nest of prehistoric fossilized dinosaur eggs!!!

After the excitement of realizing what we had come across had set in, we lifted the next item out and boy was it heavy, I mean REALLY heavy! As soon as I picked it up, I knew exactly what we had discovered... It was an iron meteorite almost 4" wide/long. It was flat and almost entirely black with long flow lines and rust spots all over it. I immediately grabbed a magnet hoping it would stick and of course it stuck! It still has the entire fusion crust intact on it from when the rock melted entering the atmosphere and must have either been a recent fall, or could have been buried underground after impact from an older fall.

We also came across a prehistoric ammonite fossil from almost 72 million years ago! It was beautifully intact and showed an amazing spiral with some mother of pearl attached to it!

The iron meteorite falls in the category of only 5% of all meteorite finds which makes it a VERY rare specimen! I cannot explain the feeling of holding the core of an old planet or asteroid in my hand dating back to between 2.5 to 3.5 BILLION years ago! It made me feel so small and worthless that I just wanted to hold it forever! We are absolutely nothing in the big picture and this further solidified that fact.

I feel so privileged now to be able to have gotten the chance to touch something so rare and so old so I had to share it with everyone! I have included a couple of pictures below just from my cell phone (which doesn't do it justice ) I will take some nice high quality photos in a light box with a proper camera when I get a chance and post them!

edit on 4-2-2013 by Tylerknight because: Got pictures resized properly

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   

edit on 4-2-2013 by Tylerknight because: Photos not uploading properly

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I have no clue on how to put photos up here but that was a cool story! To find something like that must be awesome. The only strange thing I ever found at the bottom of a box was a full urn. True stories from the thrift store.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Tylerknight

WOW! Awesomely cool!

Those things must be worth a fortune.....? What will you do, sell them at some auction and hope they fetch their worth, or somehow look for the right buyer? Or, keep them............

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by France

I am an avid thrift store hunter and that urn story hits close to home haha you never know what you will find in those places!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Thanks! It's pretty exciting for sure I still haven't really gotten my head around the concept of literally holding the old core of a planet or asteroid!

I might sell them depending on how much they fetch, I am sending them to a museum for appraisal shortly and will post back with the results!

I honestly think we might keep them, just knowing the history and rarity of the items, it goes a lot farther than money does

edit on 4-2-2013 by Tylerknight because: Forgot to put an "s" on thanks (GRAMMAR POLICE SEE YOU IN COURT)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Also if anyone here knows anything about either the egg nest ( maybe what species ) or the origins of the meteorite, please feel free to pass along your insight!

Thanks,

Tyler

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I would have been ecstatic too! Congrats on your new treasure.

Uuuum, I'm intested in the dinosaur eggs ... is it the top picture, left object that looks like a 3-toed bigfoot print or the middle one on the top that's moonish-jaw-shapish-like?

P.S. and more dino-egg pics please
and maybe point out the eggs?

edit on 4/2/2013 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

link   
Nice find. Pieces of a dinosaur aren't usually real valuable but they sure make great conversation pieces. A whole dinosaur is a different story, they are worth a lot.

They don't devalue if you show them to others before you decide to sell them. Enjoy them but take care not to ruin them.

Meteoroids can be valuable.
edit on 4-2-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

link   

I have some ammonite fossils but ive never seen fossil eggs for sale, its pretty interesting to see things like this

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Thanks a lot !

The egg nest is the top picture with what looks like the bigfoot toes yes haha. They are actually 3 small fossilized eggs in a nest which has in turn fossilized to form one mass. From what I have found eggs this small are VERY rare to find, as most are from Hadrosaurs and are about the size of your fist. I haven't found anything that shows a photo of any this size, but they are certainly not turtle or marine creatures, and definitely not rocks. They are in the exactly same layout as the Hadrosaur nests and same shape, just smaller.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Pieces of dinosaurs may not be, but these were at one point full dinosaurs in the eggs before the contents of them were "hardboiled" into minerals haha. Hadrosaur egg nests are quite valuable and can fetch anywhere from 100 for a single egg, up to thousands for a nest!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Pieces of a dinosaur aren't usually real valuable

I beg to differ, the only things ive seen around here were teeth and croploties(dung) and they wanted 12 bucks for a fossilised dino turd so the rest of them should be worth something

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by grey9438

Really makes you feel rooted on this planet doesn't it? Just knowing that creatures like that used to rule the earth that long ago they left us their bodies to see! Unreal!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Thank You! And what is the middle one on the top picture?

Edit - Nevermind - sorry - I see now it's the meteorite from the underneathe picture.
edit on 4/2/2013 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

yes its pretty amazing. the one I have that really amazes me is my trilobite, just to know that there were so many of these things that they mine hundreds of them out of the grounda day and now theres no more , makes you think

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
You are most welcome! That is the iron meteorite, with a closer photo of it in the second shot. I knew right away what it was and almost threw up a little bit I was so excited! Just wait til you see the macro shots when I get a chance to get my camera out and take proper photos. The texture is indescribable.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Well, a thousand for a nest of eggs is about right if they are in decent shape. A thousand bucks isn't a lot of money nowadays though. That's only enough to by a half way decent Television. I suppose to some a thousand is a lot.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Can't wait for your new pics!
Marking this thread and will check back. Thank you for sharing your story and pics.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I don't think I could part with them for $1000 to be honest, I see money a lot differently after joining this site and maybe a few years ago would have sold them. I have contacted the Royal Ontario Museum to inquire about them and see if they would be interested in displaying the eggs if determined to be real!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join