It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it acceptable to live together when your not married?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Sorry, to my knowledge, the only thing I can't swear to/against is God. Pee is fair game...

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by hedder
Sorry, to my knowledge, the only thing I can't swear to/against is God. Pee is fair game...

After salvation, a christian is to become "like" Christ. That is the daily objective that God desires for us.

Ephesians 4:[29] Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
[30] And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
[31] Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
That is to say there are no other accounts contrasting nor adaptations of the literary work. There are no other "forms" or "variants" of the type or original. The Bible is available in different languages (or the original) yet the content remains unchanged.

Seems we're both correct according to what we're saying.

No, we are not both correct, you are in error.

The Egyptian Bible is different than the King james Bible which is different than the "original" as you put it.
the Hebrew language version of the Bible refers to god as both male and female on occasion, the greek bible has varying accounts from the KJV, etc, etc.

there is no "one" version of the bible. there are many with varying accounts and books contained within them. I have read them in Europe, and in the middle east.

You can say there is a Single most "Popular" bible, but that is a result of who had the printing press and won world wars.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt

After salvation, a christian is to become "like" Christ. That is the daily objective that God desires for us.

Ephesians 4:[29] Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
[30] And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
[31] Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:

Okay. You remember that the next time you hammer your finger and say "Rats" or "shoot"....mmmmkay??

We all fall short of becoming even close to Jesuslike, so for you to comdemn me is laughable, not to even mention, wrong...Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone...

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by toolman
No, we are not both correct, you are in error.

I was trying to give you benefit of the doubt. So much for that.

The Egyptian Bible is different than the King james Bible which is different than the "original" as you put it.
the Hebrew language version of the Bible refers to god as both male and female on occasion, the greek bible has varying accounts from the KJV, etc, etc.

there is no "one" version of the bible.

They come from the same scrolls written in Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic. If not, show me how they are "different versions". Same accounts, different language.

there are many with varying accounts and books contained within them. I have read them in Europe, and in the middle east.

For example?

You can say there is a Single most "Popular" bible, but that is a result of who had the printing press and won world wars.

Don't really care what language it is in so long as the reader can read it. Superfluous to the message contained in The Bible. The Bible makes many mentions about different languages and how little they matter when it comes to the Word...but I'm sure you already know that since you've read it, right?

[edit on 26-9-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

That is to say there are no other accounts contrasting nor adaptations of the literary work.

Various "Lost Books", Gnostic Texts, Apophyrical Texts , all suggest a different story.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by stalkingwolf
Various "Lost Books", Gnostic Texts, Apophyrical Texts , all suggest a different story.

Let's talk a moment then about the "Lost Books" aka Apocrytha. What is said there that is a different story?

Regarding others that came later which were not a part of the Bible before, what claim do they have to stake that they should now be included into the Bible? (Recall also the Bible had stated that no prophesies were to be added or taken away)

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   

[Okay. You remember that the next time you hammer your finger and say "Rats" or "shoot"....mmmmkay??

We all fall short of becoming even close to Jesuslike, so for you to comdemn me is laughable, not to even mention, wrong...Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone...

I don't swear, and my point isn't that I'm perfect, nor is it to condemn you. The point is a christian has a HUGE responsibility. We are to present Christ to the world in word, thought, action and deed. When people hear you say you're a christian and then swear, Christ is not at all glorified, and people see no difference between you or an unsaved person.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
So dbrandt, are you telling me when you hurt yourself, or spill something, you don't say "shoot" or "rats" or even THINK it???

I don't take being a Christian lightly, but I also don't take being a human lightly either. Jesus is far too loving to hate me for saying "rats". This is just my opinion on what it means to be faithful to Jesus though, and you have your own personal faith too, they are just different, one is no better than the other.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I don't swear, and my point isn't that I'm perfect, nor is it to condemn you. The point is a christian has a HUGE responsibility. We are to present Christ to the world in word, thought, action and deed. When people hear you say you're a christian and then swear, Christ is not at all glorified, and people see no difference between you or an unsaved person.

YOU feel YOU as a Christian have a huge responsibility. I don't think all Christians feel this way. You don't HAVE to present Christ to the world in word, thought, action and deed....that is YOUR choice. There are plenty of Christians (most in fact) that don't feel this way at all.

What is the difference between you and an "unsaved" person? Really....what is this priviledge you have over others? I'm sorry...I meant what is this priviledge you THINK you have over others?

You see...I have God in my life...and I swear all the time to be quite honest. My biggest problem is the F word. I have to admit I use it too much. But, you know what, God is okay with that...why? Because He made me human and He understands what it means to be human. I think He probably doesn't expect any of us to be anything other than human. If we pretend to be something else, then He probably gets a good laugh out of it....or would think someone was acting as a false prophet probably.....

And you know what also...swears are just words. That's it....just words. AND....I don't recall an 11th commandment that says "Thou shalt not swear".....maybe I missed that part in the OT. I guess some radical Christians like to make up their own rules.....I'm not sure how God feels about that....more false prophet nonsense.....

Maybe I should be sent to a Jesus Camp where I can be mentally and emotionally abused and brainwashed to get me to stop swearing? That would be a nice Christian thing to do wouldn't it? I mean what the hey...it works for 5 year olds!

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
And you know what also...swears are just words. That's it....just words. AND....I don't recall an 11th commandment that says "Thou shalt not swear".....maybe I missed that part in the OT. I guess some radical Christians like to make up their own rules.....I'm not sure how God feels about that....more false prophet nonsense.....

Ephesians 4:29
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

Maybe I should be sent to a Jesus Camp where I can be mentally and emotionally abused and brainwashed to get me to stop swearing?

I'm sorry you've never been to Jesus Camp so that you'd know better.

I think dbrant was trying to help a fellow believer in regards to swearing. I didn't know p*** was a swear word, but knowing what it represents, perhaps I should treat it as such. I know what images it must conjur up in the minds of others (even though it hadn't occurred to me) so I would classify it as "unwholesome talk". I don't see where dbrant was doing anything more than helping someone else become aware of the effect they may have on others.

Okay now, there's a topic of this thread....do you think we could work on it some more or have we exhauted all discussion and are now turning to whatever flippant thoughts come to mind?

[edit on 2-10-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

And who decides what ARE unwholesome words? I mean 'Holy Cow' might offend hindus but Batman and Robin use it. 'Jesus Christ' would offend christians but not muslims or atheists etc. The FACT that people are offended by the correct order of sounds is just crazy.

Maybe I should be sent to a Jesus Camp where I can be mentally and emotionally abused and brainwashed to get me to stop swearing?

I think dbrant was trying to help a fellow believer in regards to swearing. I didn't know p*** was a swear word, but knowing what it represents, perhaps I should treat it as such. I know what images it must conjur up in the minds of others (even though it hadn't occurred to me) so I would classify it as "unwholesome talk". I don't see where dbrant was doing anything more than helping someone else become aware of the effect they may have on others.

Okay now, there's a topic of this thread....do you think we could work on it some more or have we exhauted all discussion and are now turning to whatever flippant thoughts come to mind?

Piss is not a swear word as it is used in the bible. Why is it unsavoury now and was OK for the bible then?????

People are so crazy.

G

[edit on 2-10-2006 by shihulud]

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud
And who decides what ARE unwholesome words? I mean 'Holy Cow' might offend hindus

Actually it would be an accurate term there, correct? Holy Cow is more apt to offend a Christian I'd think since our first commandment says, "You shall have no other gods before me".

but Batman and Robin use it.

...and therefore since Batman and Robin made the universe, it is good and righteous?

'Jesus Christ' would offend christians but not muslims or atheists etc. The FACT that people are offended by the correct order of sounds is just crazy.

I find Jesus Christ to be my favorite topic to talk about. It's when they speak falsely about him that I have issue. Even then, it's merely me having an issue, not just cause for me to do anything other than point it out.

Piss is not a swear word as it is used in the bible.

It is? Where at?

Why is it unsavoury now and was OK for the bible then?????

People are so crazy.

A good question, but there are curses in the Bible and the negative results from them. What Paul is discussing in Ephesians is what the right thing to do is, not what's not permitted by Biblical law. So then we ask ourselves, are we only going to do enough to be considered law-abiding people or will we go that extra to do that which is to the benefit of mankind?

Sooooooo anyway, who wants to talk about the topic? I'm fine on these offshoots, but I'm sure when people clicky on the thread they're not expecting this discussion.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Piss is not a swear word as it is used in the bible.

It is? Where at?

it is here: 2Ki 18:27 But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? [hath he] not [sent me] to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?

and here:Isa 36:12 But Rabshakeh said, Hath my master sent me to thy master and to thee to speak these words? [hath he] not [sent me] to the men that sit upon the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?

Why is it unsavoury now and was OK for the bible then?????

People are so crazy.

Sooooooo anyway, who wants to talk about the topic? I'm fine on these offshoots, but I'm sure when people clicky on the thread they're not expecting this discussion.

This was the discussion when I logged on and was I just making a point.
As for the topic, I think its up to the individual to decide whether they want to live unmarried with their partner. It has nothing to do with anyone else, the church, the state or anyone really. I'm surprised to find that this topic has lasted so long after all
'Just not lest ye be judged' is the order of the day.
I mean does anyone really care whether their next door neighbour or friend or family member is shacked up unmarried?? If you do then GET A LIFE

G

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   

it is here: 2Ki 18:27 But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? [hath he] not [sent me] to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?

and here:Isa 36:12 But Rabshakeh said, Hath my master sent me to thy master and to thee to speak these words? [hath he] not [sent me] to the men that sit upon the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?

Ah, you read King James? Excellent. Okay, yep, it's in the Bible. I'm on the New International. Much props to those who can follow along KJV.

Mine says in both:

"But the commander replied, "Was it only to your master and you that my master sent me to say these things, and not to the men sitting on the wall—who, like you, will have to eat their own filth and drink their own urine?"

In both instances though it is used literally. It's like the difference between these two statements here:

"It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out."

versus...

"What the h*** is going on here?!"

In the first one, it's a literal descriptive word. In the second, you're using a picture of Hell to impress upon someone that you "mean business".

This was the discussion when I logged on and was I just making a point.

Fair enough and thanks for putting forth a position on the topic. I think we can agree about gossiping, that needs to go with the whole "ooooh! Did you know that so and so where you know whattin' before they're were married?" I don't see how that's helpful in the situation.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Saint4Saint....this sentence means what? I know about Jesus camps from a lovely story recently on GMA. There is a thread on here right now about it in the religion section of ATS. 5 years olds being brainwashed and abused in the name of Christianity and Christ. Pretty disgusting stuff. The site posted on that thread also has a nice video you can watch. Pretty horrific stuff.

So...are you trying to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about? Is this what you mean by the sentence I quoted above? I mean, your grammar is a little funky...so its a tad hard to understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying you wish I was abused at a Jesus Camp? That sentence is hard to figure out.....

I'm not sorry I've never been to Jesus Camp...I'm damn glad I wasn't put through that kind of abuse. It should be illegal and the people that run that camp should be put away as well as the parents that put there children in that camp knowing what is going to be done to them!!

What is an Ephesian? And why should I listen to them? And like another poster said....who decides what is "unwholesome talk?" Is it YOU that decides this Saint4? If it is YOU that decides this, aren't you playing God? Isn't that a big no no in your BOOK?

[edit on 2-10-2006 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Saint4Saint....

I am not a Saint4Saint so obviously the rest of this post is meant for someone else. I don't know who, but hope they find it soon so I can have a few words with her/him as well. Why you're quoting me to address this "Saint4Saint" makes little sense, but when you'd like to talk to me I'd be willing to discuss those quotes and your responses to them.

[edit on 3-10-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I am not a Saint4Saint so obviously the rest of this post is meant for someone else. I don't know who, but hope they find it soon so I can have a few words with her/him as well. Why you're quoting me to address this "Saint4Saint" makes little sense, but when you'd like to talk to me I'd be willing to discuss those quotes and your responses to them.

Saint4...if you wanted to discuss what I had to say, you would just discuss it instead of playing games. Big deal...I mistyped and called you Saint4Saint instead fo Saint 4God...give me a break. Act like an adult.....if you don't want to respond, just don't. No one needs your childish games.... :shk:

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Saint4...if you wanted to discuss what I had to say, you would just discuss it instead of playing games. Big deal...I mistyped and called you Saint4Saint instead fo Saint 4God...give me a break. Act like an adult.....if you don't want to respond, just don't. No one needs your childish games.... :shk:

Fair enough, I wanted to be clear I'm not representative of nor a follower of myself. Heading back to address other post.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   

this sentence means what?

It means "Jesus Camp" isn't a giant brainwashing session as many who haven't attended believe.

I know about Jesus camps from a lovely story recently on GMA. There is a thread on here right now about it in the religion section of ATS. 5 years olds being brainwashed and abused in the name of Christianity and Christ. Pretty disgusting stuff. The site posted on that thread also has a nice video you can watch. Pretty horrific stuff.

Ah, so you're saying that all those kids were not believers before, but after Jesus Camp suddenly they were?

So...are you trying to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about? Is this what you mean by the sentence I quoted above? I mean, your grammar is a little funky...so its a tad hard to understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying you wish I was abused at a Jesus Camp?

If you had gone to Jesus Camp, you'd know that abuse is not on the menu.

That sentence is hard to figure out.....

I'll try to speak more plainly.

I'm not sorry I've never been to Jesus Camp...

But somehow are an authority because you've seen a video?

I'm damn glad I wasn't put through that kind of abuse. It should be illegal and the people that run that camp should be put away as well as the parents that put there children in that camp knowing what is going to be done to them!!

What, pray tell, is "being done to them"?

What is an Ephesian?

Someone who lives in Ephesus.

And why should I listen to them?

The letter was written from Paul to the Ephesians. He's got a lot of great things to say to them, but it would take pause and serious consideration to see that.

And like another poster said....who decides what is "unwholesome talk?"

If you accept that all people are incapable of determining the difference between benefit and detriment then you're in for quite a wake-up call. Can you not see the results of your own actions/words?

Is it YOU that decides this Saint4?

No

If it is YOU that decides this, aren't you playing God?

I think that would be the case if I tried to decide, but fortunately it's not my job and would merely be a liar if I said it was.

Isn't that a big no no in your BOOK?

My Book has a lot to say about how to distinguish right from wrong, was not written by me, and it quite a useful tool for doing so should anyone care to take an interest in it. Ultimately, it's the Author of that Book that decides right from wrong.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join