It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it acceptable to live together when your not married?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
Then what does "Love thy neighbor" mean?

Exactly what it says. Which word is unclear?

The commandment reads: "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."

It says NOTHING about enemies. NOTHING. Where is the enemy in that commandment? Where?

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?" - Matthew 5:43-46

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you," - Luke 6:27

"But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back." - Luke 6:35

And who are the enemies Saint4? Non Christians? Are they the "enemies?"

No. I have friends who are both believers and non-believers.

Love thy neighbor doesn't mean to literally love the person living next door but hate everyone in the next town. LOVE THY NEIGHBOR means love everyone...because in the eyes of God we are all neighbors. We are all human and all inhabit the same planet and we are to love EVERYONE!

This perspective makes sense and think that is the purpose of what Christ said.

So who are the enemies?

I have one enemy who I haven't seen face to face in years...and no, it's not a person.

And why do you so openly contradict yourself? You say God wants us to be like Him. And God says "love thy neighbor" but then you say God loves some and hates others. So...are we to hate people too?

Nope. There is a difference between God and us. God created the universe. Us did not. God makes the rules, us do not. God is perfect, us is not. God knows everyone's heart, us do not. God knows perfect justice, us do not. God has the right to remove life, us do not.

Who are we supposed to hate? Peoples of different races? different religions? different sexual orientations, etc.....what? Who are we supposed to hate? In the eyes of God who does He want us to hate? HE WANTS US TO HATE NO ONE!!

This is correct.

LOVE THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF! If you hate, then you must hate yourself!

...but if you hate yourself, then how can you "love others like yourself" and "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"? That means you're violent to everyone, self included.

It is interesting though, that those who do hate others perhaps do hate themselves in some way (if that's what you mean by this statement). Is it possible to love yourself and hate others? I think so...as part of narcissism.

[edit on 27-10-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   

quote: Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
Everyone is not loved?

answer: from Saint4God
As quoted, God said "Yet I have loved Jacob, but Esau I have hated."

So where's the "Love thy neighbor as thyself" here? God doesn't take His own advice? He doesn't follow His own commandments?

So in one breath Saint4 you say we are to love everyone and God wants us to love everyone. Then in the next breath you say God hates some and loves others. So which is it? Quite the contradiction, no??

I don't believe God is the "do as I say not as I do" type.....doesn't make any sense!!

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?" - Matthew 5:43-46

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you," - Luke 6:27

"But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back." - Luke 6:35

And all this scripture nonsense....what does it have to do with the simple commandment of "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself?" What do these scriptures have to do with that simple commandment?

[edit on 27-10-2006 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   

quote: Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
Everyone is not loved?

answer: from Saint4God
As quoted, God said "Yet I have loved Jacob, but Esau I have hated."

So where's the "Love thy neighbor as thyself" here? God doesn't take His own advice? He doesn't follow His own commandments?

The commandments He had given are rules for us, not rules for Him. Believers check me on it.

So in one breath Saint4 you say we are to love everyone and God wants us to love everyone.

Yep.

Then in the next breath you say God hates some and loves others.

Seems that way.

So which is it? Quite the contradiction, no??

Not at all. We have commandments we are to follow, He does not. Aka He is God, we are not.

I don't believe God is the "do as I say not as I do" type.....doesn't make any sense!!

I'm open to hear more perspectives on it. With the realization that He knows perfect justice and we do not, it does make sense.

And all this scripture nonsense....

You questioned where it was in scripture, I'm showing where.

what does it have to do with the simple commandment of "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself?" What do these scriptures have to do with that simple commandment?

They support His (and your) idea that we are to consider everyone on planet earth "our neighbors".

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   

You questioned where it was in scripture, I'm showing where.

I NEVER questioned where it was in scripture. NEVER. I asked where you got it from when all it says is "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." I asked where was the hate and enemy talk in that commandment...in that commandment ALONE! I didn't ask for you to ramble on with scripture that has nothing to do with that commandment......but of course, you can't help yourself!!

Very simple: Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

That means love blacks, whites, reds, yellows, greens, purples, Christians, Buddhists, Pagans, Atheists, Muslims, etc....heterosexuals and homosexuals....people that choose to live together before they get married if they want.....ETC!! LOVE THEM ALL!!

And love is unconditional.....which means: ACCEPT WHO THEY ARE! Don't try to change them or make them feel guilty like they are doing something wrong. LIVE AND LET LIVE! Religion is crap! Faith is where it's at!

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join