It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

feb 15th i,ll be watching

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TauCetixeta

Yes how hilarious.

I was simply giving an example in response to your 50 meter claim. I'm quite aware that the experts have said quite confidently that it will not hit. Therefore it will not. The link i provided also gives an example of a 200 foot impactor and as a previous poster pointed out, it would not be pleasant for those affected.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Why don't you do some reading for yourself?

Asteroid 2012 DA14's close encounter is also a record-breaking celestial event, Yeomans said. An object this large only passes this close to the Earth about once every 40 years, and likely only hits the planet once every 1,200 years, he added.

Amateur astronomers have already captured some photos of asteroid 2012 DA14, and NASA plans to make detailed radar observations of the space rock to learn about its composition, spin and surface features, the scientists said.

The asteroid is similar in size to the object that exploded over Siberia, Russia, in 1908 in the Tunguska event. That explosion leveled hundreds of square miles of land, scientists said. While asteroid 2012 DA14 could potential create such destruction if it struck the Earth, there is absolutely no chance of an impact for the foreseeable future, NASA officials said.

www.space.com...

Scientists have no clue what it is made of, so how can you know if it would survive?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by logicalview

You should find out the total composition of the killer asteroid before spreading fear.

If the asteroid is made up of 100% magnesium, then we would see a huge fireworks
display in the sky and nothing else.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I just said no one knows what it is made of.

And discussing something is not " spreading fear"......

It's called learning......seek the truth.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Who's spreading fear? we're simply discussing the topic. Lets hope all future asteroids are made of magnesium if a fireworks display is the only consequence.

Unfortunately, i doubt many will be.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink

I just said no one knows what it is made of.

And discussing something is not " spreading fear"......

It's called learning......seek the truth.

Advice: Stop assuming the asteroid will survive our atmosphere untouched.

I found a ....balanced....point of view.

Knowledge is power.
Asteroid DA14

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
They can tell somewhat what the outer shell is made up from their radar and the refraction of test equipment but can't tell what it's core is made of. After this rock goes through our atmosphere they will be able to judge it's weight and it's composition from the angle it turns at as it passes by. I am sure they will watching for any colors or illumination given off, if it does have metals in the outer crust they will know. Those guys that study this all the time are very good at what they do.

Till that time it is a wait and see situation and I doubt if this asteroid will hit the earth. Nobody can be absolutely sure, it could run into a chunk of space rock between now and the fifteenth and go either way.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I will be sitting on the edge of my chair.

edit on 8-2-2013 by TauCetixeta because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TauCetixeta

I will be sitting on the edge on my chair.

We can't worry about things we cannot change.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

It wont enter our atmosphere.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Propulsion

Comet or asteriod ? They are not the same. We are expecting a comet later this year early next year.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Meldionne1

everything has gravity but size has a lot to do with the actual force. Gravity is a weak force to begin with. Otherwise we would all be stuck to the ground unable to move. A baby can raise its little arm against the gravity of earth so the force from this rock would be moot. I do not think that it can have any effect on tectonic plates or create wind either.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61560

It wont enter our atmosphere.

I said the wrong word I should have said magnetosphere.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I'm very curious. Is it really coming tomorrow?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
To anyone wondering, the asteroid flyby is predicted to take place at 2:25 p.m. EST (19:25 UTC, 11:25 a.m. PST.)

You can watch an updating simulation of its passage here:

www.nasa.gov...

And you can actually view an animation of the passage along with intermittent live images of the asteroid here www.space.com...

... and/or at one of the following links: www.nasa.gov...

www.ustream.tv...

At the prescribed time, of course.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

Thank you for the links. I work nights, and I am usually still in bed at 2:25 p.m., but I'm getting up early to witness this event!

LESS THAN 24 HOURS TO GO!!!!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
This is something I never even thought of:

"We are going to be looking closely for evidence of seismic activity on 2014 DA14 as it passes by," says Binzel. "This is the first case of an object coming close enough to experience quakes AND where we have enough notice to plan observations."

Possible Seismic Activity on Asteroid 2012 DA14

Not earth having seismic activity but the asteroid having activity. This concept never entered my mind.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

As of now i dont like where the direction of the Asteroid is flying its path at. But we shall see.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

In what way? Unless I'm mistaken, there's nothing to indicate that it's deviated from the predicted path which won't bring it closer than 17,000 miles from Earth at its closest approach. The only (very, very minimal) risk - barring something totally unknown and prohibitively improbable - as far as I know is that it could hit a satellite potentially. And that would not be sufficient to deflect it toward Earth. The satellite would simply be obliterated in all likelihood. But that's deemed very unlikely.

I could be wrong of course. Is there something you see in particular that concerns you? Keep in mind that by their nature, animations and trajectory lines shown in online images and videos aren't going to be 1:1 accurate to the actual position and path of the asteroid.

Peace.

EDIT: Perhaps I spoke too soon? (Although I can't reconcile the difference in timing and as others have said, it shouldn't be pulling any debris with it being an asteroid.) See post below...
edit on 2/15/2013 by AceWombat04 because: Added edit re: post below

edit on 2/15/2013 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
P.S.

Now this is unexpected and interesting, although it is likely totally unrelated unless something totally unnoticed has come along with this asteroid (and by my understanding asteroid generally don't pull debris with them like comets... those with greater knowledge, please correct me if wrong.)

Russia appears to have experienced a large explosion related to a meteorite injuring up to 400 people. Supposedly they are claiming it could be related to AD14 2012, although I don't understand how that could be the case. Anyone care to shed greater light and insight onto this?

YEKATERINBURG/CHELYABINSK, Russia (Reuters) - About 400 people were injured when a meteorite shot across the sky in central Russia on Friday sending fireballs crashing to Earth, smashing windows and setting off car alarms.

Residents on their way to work in Chelyabinsk heard what sounded like an explosion, saw a bright light and then felt a shockwave, according to a Reuters correspondent in the industrial city 1,500 km (950 miles) east of Moscow.

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 2/15/2013 by AceWombat04 because: Correction

More sources:

NBC News

www.cnn.com...

www.reuters.com... (Reuters now says more than 500 people are injured.)

rt.com... (6 meter crater discovered.)

rt.com...
edit on 2/15/2013 by AceWombat04 because: Added links

edit on 2/15/2013 by AceWombat04 because: Fixed link

See also existing ATS thread from last night (probably better to discuss this there): www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 2/15/2013 by AceWombat04 because: Added existing ATS topic.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join