feb 15th i,ll be watching

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by sparky31

Don't believe that it will hit, however it is expected to bring some windy conditions as well as some weather and tectonic changes.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Feb 15th could be the end of my world if I don't go to a nice enough restaurant.

"Hey Jude don't be afraid... "

As far as the asteroid goes I am going to bet that no it won't hit the earth.. And since you can't separate fear from knowledge I'm going to go ahead and say I bet it's a missile launched from mars.. True story. Move along. There are other threads waiting for your indepth insight.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The real danger is the chaos this rock will cause as it flies through the debri field around our planet. Its tragectory is well enough known that important satellites are being positioned out of its path...however all that space junk is gonna get redistributed in an unpredictable manner, I'd expect some interesting situations with communications and possible GPS issues in the days following the asteroids visit.
X

www.space.com...

www.earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

Just a quick search...found those links about space debri

I wanter what the Air Force Space Command has planned for the 15th?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I will admit, the way the NASA website worded the assurance isn't the most concrete of assurances:

[...] it is therefore known that there is no chance that the asteroid might be on a collision course with Earth.

Why didn't they just say "...no chance that the asteroid is on a collision course..."

The might really throws me off.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Double post.
edit on 5-2-2013 by 1Providence1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Here's the thing, comets and asteroids, space junk and debris have been hitting earth from the very beginning. Some of them have already set the ball in motion to either change evolution all together or to eliminate all life on earth (prions) as we know it.

So, yes it will happen, it has happened so live life, observe with awe this wonderful planet we have been able to be part of.

Once man gets past fear and control, the real work can begin to divert these types of events when they are slated to have impact on our planet. If we could travel into the future to see that technology wouldn't it be awesome?

So even if this did strike earth, it is not a global killer.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

Hey storm... thanks for the input. Seems some may get a show in the Southern Hemisphere?

I was wondering. Lets say "they" were sure the asteroid was going to come so close that "they" couldn't be sure whether it was going to hit or not...

...or better lets say they knew it was going to hit somewhere. How close could they predict the impact to be, you think? Would it be a hemisphere or regional "guess - timate"? It seems to me that all kinds of factors could change the terminal plunge through the atmosphere, not least of which would be atmospheric drag and shape of the object. Tell me could they say, "Well, in three weeks New York is going to be toast, so get out"? Or three days? Or three hours?

Thanks in advance for your opinion on this.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparky31
its close and they say it has no chance of hitting and i,m not saying it has but when its this close then really will they tell us the truth?surely telling people in advance that an asteroid will hit is not or will ever be on the agenda.www.nasa.gov...

i happen to know for a fact that nothing is going to happen, because the ps4 is coming out in december LOL

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by sparky31
its close and they say it has no chance of hitting and i,m not saying it has but when its this close then really will they tell us the truth?surely telling people in advance that an asteroid will hit is not or will ever be on the agenda.www.nasa.gov...

And then after the date passes, what's next?

What Month, day, reason?

Give it up already. These false prophecies and/or predictions are always proven to be false but then...another pops up.

Whatever happens will happen and it won't be with a bang but a whisper. You want end of civilization prophecies? Look to real World events and stop watching the sky.

Peace

Hey Jude, Dont make it bad. Take a sad song and make it better. This is not a prediction of any kind that I can see. Its another ATS poster just relaying some information. Dont jump on someones head for nothing. Pick your battles better.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

You see fear under every bed.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Since this would not take the world out I think if there was a chance of it hitting they would have everyone on guard and yes I think if it were on a path towards a major metropolitan area they would try to get as many people out as possible. Now if it were of a kind that would end all life what would be the point of telling anyone if we were all going to die anyway who wants to know in advance?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

NASA has been accused of a great many things . Mostly its been proven that these accusations are ungrounded. Can you tell me just one thing that can be proven that NASA has kept from the pulbic? Just one would be great.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Meldionne1

Why do you think it would have any effect on our planet at all? What is the relationship you see between asteroids and geographical events here ?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SoulSearching8

Please explain the corollation between these events. Windy ? Really will it be that close??? LOL.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by csuldm
reply to post by InnerPeace2012

Well I don't think they would be concerned with following "protocols" if they were trying to lie to us about the possibility of an impact for some reason.

Why would NASA reveal that an asteroid is coming and then tell us it will narrowly miss us in an attempt to hide a certain impact, when all they would have to do to cover it up in the first place is simply keep their mouth shut? Why would they tell us in the first place if they were trying to cover something up?

Haven't read the whole thread yet, so someone has probably already responded to this.
The reason NASA does not just "keep their mouth shut" is because that would be the same as saying that the asteroid is going to impact us. They plot these asteroids, and even give us a website showing the asteroids movement through our solar system. To simply ignore this one would send up an immediate red flag to those of us that watch these asteroids.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
NASA is certainly not the only orbital experts that have analyzed this asteroid. The best of the best around the world all agree that there is NO chance of this rock hitting the Earth. Don't you think that some of them would love to scoop NASA if they could?

But they won't because they can't because NASA is just as correct as they are. The speed and trajectory of this asteroid is so well known, because it is so close. It is a cool event, but it is not a threat, just a close call and we are lucky for that.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61560

I don't know, ..that's why I'm asking.....can an asteroid passing close to earth effect the earth? I realize a direct impact would do damage, etc...but...I'm wondering if an asteroid has some sort of magnetic field that can tug at the earth? Even just slightly tug at the earth and cause some environmental fluctuations....I'm not talking tidal waves, but maybe higher tides? And maybe bigger earthquakes...like an 8 instead of a 7, or set off a volcano? I'm just wondering if our magnetic poles can feel the asteroids presence , like a tugging effect and react some way.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by 1Providence1

Because when communities like ours see data they don't understand on JPL, and here " There is no chance the object could hit us. " The community then stirs up all this craziness, and say " What if it might? "

So, they go ahead, address it isn't going to hit us, that there isn't even a small chance of them doubting it.

Bold words my friend. Trust science, trust your fellow man. NASA, is one of many Space organizations, isn't the sole observatory with people capable of doing exactly what you are questioning. I have a telescope, not a very good one, but I star gaze along with hundreds of thousands of others who have a varying array of equipment and knowledge. Amateurs, professionals all over the world are the ones who discover 90% of these asteroids not NASA.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by vpjanitorial

I do however think it's likely we could have earthquakes and volcanic activity from the gravity it will exert?

Why do you think an asteroid 45meters is going to cause any of that? Do our mountains cause earthquakes on the moon as it goes by? They stretch several hundred to thousands of meters above the earths surface. You do realize next to Earth Da-14 is about the size of a single molecule. Do you suddenly change position when a particle passes you by? Do you quiver, quake or get nose bleeds?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Hey there intrptr.

Originally posted by intrptr

Seems some may get a show in the Southern Hemisphere?

It's only slim, but since DA14 has an orbit so close to Earth, there is a chance it seems.

I was wondering. Lets say "they" were sure the asteroid was going to come so close that "they" couldn't be sure whether it was going to hit or not...

...or better lets say they knew it was going to hit somewhere. How close could they predict the impact to be, you think? Would it be a hemisphere or regional "guess - timate"?

It depends. If the object has been carefully observed prior to impact, and the orbit is very well refined thanks to the many observations, then a likely impact area can potentially be refined to a relatively small impact area. I wouldn't want to speculate too much as I'm not exactly sure what is possible, but an area the size of a state or small country is quite possible today.

There is only a single example of an actual event in the past were a predicted impactor has been tracked prior to impact (since small/dim objects are hard to spot and larger ones are extremely rare). In the case of the Sudan event, the probable impact area would have been around the range I mentioned above.

It seems to me that all kinds of factors could change the terminal plunge through the atmosphere, not least of which would be atmospheric drag and shape of the object.

If we are talking about an object that is capable of impacting the ground with enough cosmic velocity retained at the point of impact to cause significant damage on the ground, then the factors you are talking about would be basically insignificant. At these speeds, even an object that has a very irregular shape will tend to carry on in a straight path due to it's huge momentum, and since any irregular parts are the first to be ablated away, quickly resulting in a more streamlined/aerodynamic shape.

Like this meteorite for example:

Middlesbrough meteorite on display in Dorman Museum

Tell me could they say, "Well, in three weeks New York is going to be toast, so get out"? Or three days? Or three hours?

In the future as technology gets better perhaps, but it's not possible today firstly since we don't have a candidate, and secondly if one was discovered with only a few days to impact, I suspect it would be quite hard (if not impossible) to get in enough observations in time to narrow down the possibilities to the kind of area you mentioned.

I wouldn't worry about it though - objects large enough to kill people on a large scale were they to hit a densely populated area are rare anyway (chances are we won't see one in our life times), and even if there was one, the chances that it would hit an even remotely densely populated area are extremely low.

We are starting to be able to find potential "city killers" now, so I don't think it'll be that long till we are able to spot any potentially hazardous objects in time to take effective action.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum