It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

feb 15th i,ll be watching

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by csuldm

I believe they have an obligation of sharing that information,....

But who's not to say the data has to follow certain protocols before been released to the public.

Who do you think, is behind "puling them ropes" or should we say, setting this protocols.

Peace

edit on 4-2-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sparky31

Awesome, thanks for bringing it. If it was going to hit, they wouldn't even tell us it was coming. That is a close approach for sure. Not visible from the western hemisphere. They say the orbit is well known. According to the graphic in the first video in the OP, the orbit will change as it flies by earth. Wonder how that will affect its next visit?

Edit to add: The reason I know they wouldn't tell us is the same reason they didn't tell the Columbia Shuttle crew there may be a problem with the wing.

Or why they don't tell passengers the ship they are on is sinking.
edit on 4-2-2013 by intrptr because: additional...

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by csuldm
I don't think there is any secret agenda on NASA's part that would prevent them from telling us about a possible impact. What would be the point?

If they didn't want us to know about an impending impact and simply "lied" by telling us it will miss, then why would they even tell us that such an object exists in the first place? Wouldn't it make much more sense on their part to simply not let that info out?

I know some will say, "because they wouldn't want amateur astronomers to find it and tell everyone". But is it honestly feasible for an amateur astronomer to find such an object in the sky, and then have enough time before an impact to tell anybody? Who would believe them anyways?
i think u,ll find that its amateur astronomers that find most things so of course they have to tell us about things found or the amateur will ,just mite not be able to track it like nasa would
edit on 2011 by sparky31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
eh, the worst it could do is kill us...

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

just read about that in the paper today in scotland about them holding back the information about damage to the heat shield,as you say if they don,t tell them about that then are they really going to tell us about anything else

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerPeace2012

Well I don't think they would be concerned with following "protocols" if they were trying to lie to us about the possibility of an impact for some reason.

Why would NASA reveal that an asteroid is coming and then tell us it will narrowly miss us in an attempt to hide a certain impact, when all they would have to do to cover it up in the first place is simply keep their mouth shut? Why would they tell us in the first place if they were trying to cover something up?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

If NASA tells us of possible threats from space then we all get caught up in the business of fear which in turn means that when they appeal for more funding to "study" whatever may be hurtling in our direction the odds will be stacked a little more favorably toward them getting some $$. They win either way here by disclosing that it will pass really close but they don't think it will be breaking through our atmosphere and crashing into earth.

If it comes close enough for the MSM to broadcast spectacular images of it, then compare it to stock sketches of the last big one to hit and wipe out the dinosaurs (if they still use that theory nowadays) we are fearful for the next one, if parts of it hit us, even better because they could claim something about composition, iron, nickel and some unknown variable to do with earths magnetic field caused pieces to be ripped from it and change on to a trajectory right into our path etc. If it is just a small hit somewhere and the world is still pretty much intact, you wll hear them say "We need more $$ to build better analysys models for the next time"

I think it is fantastic that NASA releases some wonderful images to the public and I hope that they would do their part in informing us correctly should the need arise but money & poiltics can bring about strange outcomes,

edit on 4-2-2013 by evc1shop because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

then really will they tell us the truth?

Who are "they"?
The independent and international observatories who have tracked the asteroid?
www.minorplanetcenter.net...

"They" tell us when a tsunami is on the way in a matter of hours. "They" tell us when a hurricane is on the way in days. Why wouldn't "they" tell us that an asteroid was predicted to impact in weeks?

This rock is far from being a planet killer though it could cause problems for a city if it entered overhead. It would break into fragments miles before reaching the ground.
edit on 2/4/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
It's not going to hit, and NASA is not the only one capable of working out weather it will or will not, so it would be pointless trying to cover anything up.

However, although DA14 itself is not going to hit, there is a small chance that fragments created during the breakup of the larger body which "gave birth" to DA14 may hit and be visible as meteors or fireballs to observers in the Southern hemisphere. At least one researcher thinks so:

Asteroid 2012 DA14 shall pass at around 30,000 km from Earth surface
the February 15th 2013 and it's certainly a fragment of a biggest body that
break up in the past, in this process certainly minor fragments were born
creating perharps a meteor shower, if this it's correct that are the
elements of this new meteor shower:

Radiant

Asc. 148.4-148.8 ( 09 H 54/55 M) Decl. -81.3°

it's a point between Zheta and Mu of Chamaeleon constellation

Vg 6.14 km/sec (very slow) Vh 28.66 km/sec

Solar Long. 327° date of maximum 15.7 February 2013

D (MOID) 0.000 (or 0.001)

Probably it shall be only a low ZHR of very slow meteors, so slow
that it's possible if the meteoroids are big that meteorites fall on the
Earth.

All this it's not sure then if it's possible for you see the sky during
14-15
February and 15-16 February you shall can confirm or not that.
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli

Source: METEOROBS (The Meteor Observing mailing list)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by csuldm

NASA is obliged to disclose information to the public, no doubt about that.

And also, I am fairly certain like any other TPTB "controlled" organisation, that all data is heavily "refined" for general public consumption.

Perhaps, the more reasonable question is, will they tell the public if it's earth bound? I doubt they will.

Peace

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

then really will they tell us the truth?

This rock is far from being a planet killer

I don't think anyone suggested it to be a planet killer...

though it could cause problems for a city if it entered overhead. It would break into fragments miles before reaching the ground.

And you said it yourself, and I think this is what some a concerned about. What are the chances of the damaged caused by these "fragments" in a populated area?

Peace
edit on 4-2-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

What are the chances of the damaged caused by these "fragments" in a populated area?

Not great. The shock wave effects would be of greater concern. Think super sonic boom with broken windows and fallen trees. But the point is, if an impact were expected the area of impact would be known and evacuations could be carried out.

There is no reason for "them" to conceal anything even if "they" could. What's the point? Why give tsunami warnings? Why give hurricane warnings? This would be no different. Why have evacuations for any approaching danger at all but this asteroid poses no danger.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well, thank you Phage, I think I feel much better now...

Peace

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Wasn't this coming close enough that it could take out some satellites?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
It's a very small asteroid, only 45m across and 160k tons. If it was going to hit, then it would only be a localised/regional disaster, probably 30/40 miles tops. We would still have more than enough time to evacuate any effected areas, even somewhere like New York/Bejing.

The idea that every single person in NASA would hush up on something like that is simply absurd. The remaining 7 billion people in the world would be furious at them and they'd lose all of their credibility and public support.

NASA is run by human beings who got into their fields for the good of mankind, not "The Government" who would want to sign off millions of people to their death for no good reason.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

reply to post by jude11

Yea, its not like Nasa hasn't been accused of keeping things from the public or anything.

Even if its not hitting us (which it probably wont) Its still kinda of cool, To put it to scale its like getting shot at and only being missed by mere inches.

Besides if there wasn't fear mongering threads (not saying this one is) Ats would be nothing but crickets and tumbleweeds...
edit on 4-2-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-2-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

by an atom... Da14 2012 is about 45 meters... Earth has an Equatorial radius of 6,378.1 km x 2 = diameter(across) of 12,756.2 km. A total surface area of 510,072,000 km2. Those are kilometers where as DA-14 is in meters, or 45/1000 of a km.

So to really put this in perspective. It's like getting shot at by a single particle, and being missed by a couple inches.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
This asteroid was discovered by the OAM Observatory in Spain, not NASA. www.minorplanetcenter.net...

In order to conceal the existence of a dangerous NEO on an imminent Earth impact trajectory, the object in question would have to be discovered exclusively by proprietary observation platforms of some sort that no one else in the world has access to, and the object would have to be invisible to all other observatories and amateur astronomers in the astronomical community at large. That is not the case with this object (nor any other recent object that people seem alarmed by that I'm aware of,) and so its projected path seems to be known and affirmed by more than just NASA.

Unless everyone on the planet with knowledge of this object is intentionally lying, being suppressed, or just wrong (and that's a lot of people outside of just NASA,) this asteroid will not hit us.

Peace.
edit on 2/5/2013 by AceWombat04 because: Left out a word due to sleep deprivation

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Has anyone asking size speed etc bothered reading the link to nasa its all there. It even states that it will miss by way more when it returns in 2046. Just click lots of info was already presented.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I do however think it's likely we could have earthquakes and volcanic activity from the gravity it will exert?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sparky31
its close and they say it has no chance of hitting and i,m not saying it has but when its this close then really will they tell us the truth?surely telling people in advance that an asteroid will hit is not or will ever be on the agenda.www.nasa.gov...

They wouldn't be able to hide it.

Here is why:

Responding effectively to hazards posed by near-Earth objects (NEOs) requires the joint efforts of diverse institutions and individuals.

Also in the United States, individual observers and observatories are dedicated in whole or in part to discovering and observing NEOs. Further, NASA supports a group of researchers at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) that carries out accurate, long-term predictions of asteroid orbits, quantifies threats, and notifies NASA, as does the MPC, if a “threshold” is exceeded.

Objects are discovered by individual astronomers and observatories, not by NASA alone. The objects are then reported to JPL who calculates the trajectories and makes the information public.

There would be no way to hide it as there are thousands of individuals/observatories, surely someone would blow the whistle.

Source

edit on 5-2-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join