It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember when there were thousands of worms on the streets and sidewalks after a big rainstorm

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
Let them go. Earth worms are not native to North America and are dispersed by fisherman who use worms and who do not dispose of their bait responsibly. They radically change the fauna of native lands. Earthworms propagate on their own at about ten meters a year and are slowly but surely dispersing over the continent.

I have read that but I do not buy it for one minute. How the hell do those guys know worms were not in north America and fisherman brought them? It doesn't make sense ocean fishermen use fish for bait. And were they there? No they were not! It's a theory not a fact they are just guessing at best. Worms are so beneficial to soil and plants it is amazing and ridiculous to believe they would not be world wide.

edit on 5-2-2013 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Evolution!!!
the ones who like to cross roads are all dead.

I still see lots of little dirt piles after a heavy rain.
the worms put the dirt out of the tunnels.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

We still have gobs of worms, particularly after heavy spring rains.
Lots of june bugs....that lave eggs that turn into nasty lawn grubs....and there was heavy grub damage in our subdivision last year.

Plenty of other bugs and moths...not so many yellow jackets though

Or mosquitos....didn't miss them at all

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Well, it's nice to hear of so much life out there. I'm just remembering the many times when the worms were so plentiful that after a rain you couldn't walk on the sidewalks and streets, and that isn't so anymore. Nobody else has mentioned having that experience, so maybe they are either lessened or many have died off in the area I'm talking about.

The comment about a luna moth, I only have seen one of those as well. Quite an experience, and it actually stuck around in the same place long enough other people were able to get a good look at it.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I can vouch for this. I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago (Right on the Boarder) and from 87 to the year 2000 I could remember after every Thunder Storm, Hundreds of worms littering parking lots, sidewalks et cetera. I used to collect them in a can for fishing the next day.

Now it's gotta be down to 5 max...

Where did all the NightCrawlers goooooOO~

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw
I can vouch for this. I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago (Right on the Boarder) and from 87 to the year 2000 I could remember after every Thunder Storm, Hundreds of worms littering parking lots, sidewalks et cetera. I used to collect them in a can for fishing the next day.

Now it's gotta be down to 5 max...

Where did all the NightCrawlers goooooOO~

Thank you, a true rememberer. I can sign off happy, for now. "Remember the worms" (that's what got Wilhelm Reich in trouble, saying we were descended from the worms and still retained our worm segments, but that's another can of worms). Thanks for your post.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join