It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bin Laden-land? Pakistan launches amusement park in town where Osama died

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
So the Pakistan Government has decided to spend $30M to help the image of Abbottabad, the city of 500,000 that the assassination of Osama Bin Laden by U.S. Navy Seals on May 2nd 2011 took place. Plans include A zoo, an adventure club, paragliding, restaurants and waterfalls in the attempt to revive tourism to the town. The project is expected to take 8 years to complete.

Twenty percent of the income earned through each project will be spent on the development of the respective area, and residents will be given priority for jobs, Dawn said....While instability has wracked most of Pakistan in recent decades, Abbottabad has remained free of violence and suicide bombings. A favored summer destination for rest and relaxation, wealthy Pakistanis often visited the area for weekend retreats.
Source

I find this very odd. I understand the need and desire to move forward, I also understand the need to to pick up the pieces, provide jobs and promote travel, but Pakistan has been war torn for so long and so much death and conflict has occurred in the country, I would think that there are other pressing matters to deal with rather than building an amusement park like the continuation of attacks. How does a country that is currently engaged in military conflict within their own boarders just decide to promote tourism? What am I missing? Is this being used as a means of funding defense?

More Sources:
dailymail.co.uk
www.businessinsider.com...
www.ndtv.com...
edit on 4-2-2013 by Agarta because: Added more sources

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I don’t think I will trust their roller-coasters….

Seriously though I find the idea of Pakistan creating a “bin-Laden-land” unlikely, rather I think it is probably just the Pakistani’s trying to promote tourism and capitalise on what could become a tourist attraction in the future.

I don’t think there is anything suspicious about them trying to promote the town and make it a little more desirable.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Believe it or not, but Pakistan is a major tourism location. I, for one, would LOVE to go check out Mohenjo-daro.

Pakistan Tourism
Tourism in Pakistan Wiki

new topics

join