Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Obama giving speech on gun control in Minneapolis, Minn.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

MINNEAPOLIS (Reuters) - President Barack Obama on Monday took his gun control campaign to Minneapolis, making a visible push for reform ahead of his State of the Union address in a state with an active hunting culture where efforts have helped curtail violence.

The speech is still going on at the moment.

From what Im getting out of the speech, he seems pretty sure universal background checks will pass congress, and also tougher laws on gun trafficking will pass.

It looks like he understands an Assault Weapons Ban and magazine ban will be tough to pass.

ETA - Well, the speech ended just right after I posted this. The speech was pretty much was what I was expecting. Nothing really new was said.
edit on 4-2-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Nothing new has been said since the shooting.

The same recycled rhetoric that Americans have heard since 1934.

Guns bad-Ban them then use the nuclear option to wipe out all those bad people, where the collateral damage is the rest of us who have done nothing.

Funny how those politicians never do a battle damage assessment after their laws,. nope that didn't work we need more laws, nope that didn't work we need even more laws.

What I got from that speech is he will do everything to trample on the constitution regardless. the cost.

Ask yourselves why he will not give a control control speech from NY,Chicago, or California those states with the most gun restrictions in the country, and the most violent.
edit on 4-2-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Funny how those politicians never do a battle damage assessment after their laws,. nope that didn't work we need more laws, nope that didn't work we need even more laws.

I noticed in the scrolling bar on the bottom of the news screen, "Biden concedes that new gun laws wont prevent massacres"

And I believe Obama said nearly the exact same thing in his speech.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Politicians always say one thing and DO another words are cheap actions speak and those actions clearly say what is what.

Gun control no matter what so they can pat themselves on the back for "feel good" legislation.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
And I'm sure if any patriotic Americans witnessed that speech, they promptly went to their local gun shop afterwards to place an order for a new firearm.

it's what I would've done, and encourage Americans to do. Remind them that you actually care about your rights, instead of pretending.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I gotta wonder...between flight times, ground travel time, arrangements being made and time to press the flesh and/or eat somewhere around the speeches he gives nearly non-stop, daily? When does he actually work? Presidents before him, to a man, were generally seen and not heard but on important things. I can't recall any President prior to this one peddling actual policy to the public at the exclusion of even speaking with Congress, let alone working with either side of 'The Hill'.

It just occurred to me on this...how odd. He did all he can do as President with his 23 executive moves. He can now try and convince Congress .... but they aren't in Minnesota. They're the other direction...back where we hired him to be...in Washington and down the road from his house.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
It is sad to see that the leader and his supporters of a great nation, if not the greatest of our times, blaming tools INSTEAD of directly and honestly tackling the ROOT problem of violence - mental health and social issues that had caused the deaths of so many innocents not only in USA but the world as well.

As long as we refuse to remove the blinders from our eyes and continue to blame the tools, the violence isn't going to end nor the innocent dead piling up around us all.

Removing tools is not that difficult. Place a ban on all tools and 7 billion humans on earth will be placed behind bars within days.

I gues spending and actions on research, education and ellicitating/motivating humankind upon the path to non-violence, resolving harmful social issues and anger management is far more difficult, more time consuming and have less political gains......

edit on 4-2-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It just occurred to me on this...how odd. He did all he can do as President with his 23 executive moves. He can now try and convince Congress .... but they aren't in Minnesota. They're the other direction...back where we hired him to be...in Washington and down the road from his house.

Pretty much my same thoughts. He's done pretty much everything he can with those 23 actions he signed. All he can do now is talk talk talk. He's going to be giving more speechs around the country, and Im sure they're going to be the exact same as todays speech.

Pretty much everyone on either the pro-gun or anti-gun sides are solid in their beliefs, and are not going to budge no matter what the POTUS says. I flipped through a few news channels right after the speech, and the consensus of what I heard was : No chance of another AWB passing, same with magazine limits. The only things that have a chance of passing are universal background checks and more gun trafficking laws.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

The only things that have a chance of passing are universal background checks and more gun trafficking laws.

Don't agree with background checks universal or otherwise should not have to get government permission to own anything.

That said gun buy backs that are "famous" would be illegal if universal background checks were to pass.

After all all gun purchasers have to have a background check oh wait silly me background checks are only for the public sheep.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
For anyone that wasnt around for the first "gun bill".....they are using a lot of the same tactics used back then. Speeches and photo ops with cops cops and more cops. What the people pushing for all this are doing is trying to intimidate the american citizens.

What they dont tell you, or Obama wont tell you is that the police are in no way on the same page here. We just had a local sheriff say that he has seen more frying pans used in shootings than assult weapons. Other more pubic examples of police officals going against the Obama grain are well know.

Obama was talking about cops being outgunned.....but the truth is many cops carry assult rifles and do so under the law. And good for them. Obama is trying to cast this idea of under armed cops in the face of an overarmed population for effect.

Now get this.....Obama proposed passing laws to make it a crime to sell weapons to people that were restricted from owning weapons. Did you get that? there are already laws like that.

Also Obama did a round about on the gun shows saying in effect that every gang banger getting a gun is buying it from a person that got it at the gun show. But they have ZERO data on this. This tactic has been tried before....around here certain heads came out and tried to blame all the killings in back areas of town on the white run gun shown. They cant produce data and in my opinon are lying about the gun shows.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

LOL

Cops outgunned?

Really now!

APC's, tactical air support,tactical robots,SWAT,machine guns,stun grenades,flash bangs,smoke grenades, and no matter the call they swarm any "suspect".

What a bunch of liars.
edit on 4-2-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

The only things that have a chance of passing are universal background checks and more gun trafficking laws.

Don't agree with background checks universal or otherwise should not have to get government permission to own anything.

That said gun buy backs that are "famous" would be illegal if universal background checks were to pass.

After all all gun purchasers have to have a background check oh wait silly me background checks are only for the public sheep.

Yea you wont find any felons or any other restricted group going in for the back ground check.

All these checks are for is a record keeping effect. Its called how to get around the law and keep track of who owns what.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

OP - I'm glad you are able to listen to him speak... Someone has to keep tabs on whatever mischief he is trying to peddle.

He makes me physically ill, so I can't.

Keep up the good work.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
It is sad to see that the leader and his supporters of a great nation, if not the greatest of our times, blaming tools INSTEAD of directly and honestly tackling the ROOT problem of violence - mental health and social issues that had caused the deaths of so many innocents not only in USA but the world as well.

I gues spending and actions on research, education and ellicitating/motivating humankind upon the path to non-violence, resolving harmful social issues and anger management is far more difficult, more time consuming and have less political gains......

Thats not going to work....not that I am being nagative. The areas in our country with these high rates of killings and violence have for years now been the close subject of every governmemt program, cultural studies beyound count, psychological evaluation and every effort to understand and support that the mind can fathom and the violence is as bad as its always been.

Now they have decided that the suburban and country gun shows are the problem.
edit on 4-2-2013 by Logarock because: n

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

For anyone that wasnt around for the first "gun bill".....they are using a lot of the same tactics used back then. Speeches and photo ops with cops cops and more cops. What the people pushing for all this are doing is trying to intimidate the american citizens.

Id like to see Obama give a speech with some of these guys.

266 Sheriffs and 6 State Sheriffs Associations Saying ‘NO’ to Obama Gun Control

The list keeps growing and growing everyday. (check and see if your sheriff is on there to) A couple of county sheriffs near me are on that list, but Im still waiting for my local sheriff to officially get on there.

Now get this.....Obama proposed passing laws to make it a crime to sell weapons to people that were restricted from owning weapons. Did you get that? there are already laws like that.

I heard that in the speech to. It went something like..."We're going to make it illegal for you to sell a gun to someone who cannot legally have a gun"......And here Ive always been under the impression that selling a gun to a convicted felon was against the law.....silly me, I guess there's never been a law like that.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7
And I'm sure if any patriotic Americans witnessed that speech, they promptly went to their local gun shop afterwards to place an order for a new firearm.

Speaking of that, I drove by a small gun store the other night and it was packed......now Obama said that "most" americans are coming around to his way of thinking. Well they are not and he knows it.

Notice to if you will how the tone from the gun grabbers has changed. The wording is new. Thats the result of them understanding how much the underestimated at first and the heat is on as refelcted in the change of tone.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
reply to post by neo96

I noticed in the scrolling bar on the bottom of the news screen, "Biden concedes that new gun laws wont prevent massacres"

And I believe Obama said nearly the exact same thing in his speech.

I heard that Biden quote as well. It really makes you question: Is this real life? Are we in a dream, or rather a nightmare, in which politicians are actually not thinking at all?

I think after a moment of "why?", after processing why Biden would say that, and Obama produce executive orders to push against the right to firearms - eventually a person will realize: This is real life. Politicians are thinking, they are actually thinking very hard and genuinely to discover a means to dismantle the right to own firearms, starting with radical restrictions ( just to start, I don't even want to get into all the other things here )..

Thanks OP for for the thread. It's a good way to keep updated on the issue so long as members can keep talking and sharing events like this.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Presidents before him, to a man, were generally seen and not heard but on important things.

And this was a good thing? Haven't folks been conplaining about the bubble for years?

I can't recall any President prior to this one peddling actual policy to the public at the exclusion of even speaking with Congress, let alone working with either side of 'The Hill'.

Hmmm...It does seem strange to me that it ?irks you? that the president is actually driving policy via the people rather than playing inside baseball in the DC bubble?

This is what he said he would do. A 2nd term driven by the people...cuz Congress has lost complete touch with the people, refuse to compromise and has a lower approval rating than any time in history.

The only voice the GOP listen to is the voters..They'd like to see the President impeached...so the President actually going to the people to move policy? that bothers you? It seems strange to me.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

Originally posted by eXia7

Speaking of that, I drove by a small gun store the other night and it was packed......now Obama said that "most" americans are coming around to his way of thinking. Well they are not and he knows it.

Notice to if you will how the tone from the gun grabbers has changed. The wording is new. Thats the result of them understanding how much the underestimated at first and the heat is on as refelcted in the change of tone.

I don't care what people say, or what Obama says.. people are buying more guns now than ever, I've been checking the local gun shop and Walmart a lot for the past 2 months, and the shelves are empty, ammo and all AR 15 variants gone! uppers, lowers.. AK-47.. pretty much everything but bolt action is gone. I asked the guy at Walmart about when they planned to be restocked, he kind of chuckled and said "who knows" I think the gun grabbers are a vocal minority, but hopefully anti gunners will come around, purchase a firearm, and train with it.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

I would like to do that, Ive got a few on my shopping list at the moment.....but I cant find anything anywhere. The small shops around here are out of roughly 95% of their guns. Pretty much just revolvers, some shotguns, and .22's left. Most semi-auto's have been picked clean. I heard that Glock is backordered by over 600,000 handguns and 1.5 million mags.

Heck, I cant even find ammo at the moment. (Atleast the common calibers, 9mm, .223, ect...). I can really only find ammo for my mosin nagant at the moment.
edit on 4-2-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join