It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarettes the cheaper way

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Here I go again..

To all who are about to grow their own, USE ORGONITE

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
I run with American Spirit brand -- and I switch between their yellow and the red organic. I can't stand anything buy all natural/organic tobacco these days.

American Spirit is good -- a bit too harsh for me. The harshness comes from the preservatives, which in the tobacco world, are not considered "additives" so they can still add preservatives and say "no additives." There are a minimum number of things that must be in the tobacco (by law in the US) to sell packaged cigarettes -- those minimum "additives" don't need to be called "additives."
That's why Lucky Strike stopped selling in the US.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about Lucky Strike. Could you please elaborate?

The reason I'm interested is that I've been rolling my own Belgian tobacco ("Belgam") for 20 years, but last year the brand was taken over by Lucky Strike. So I'm rolling Lucky Strike tobacco now, comes in the same colors, but has the Lucky Strike logo and is a lot different from the Belgam tobacco. They have a "natural" version with no additives, which comes in a brow pack. I've tried it, and it takes a bit of getting used to but does have that natural taste to it. Is this less harmful than the regular versions?

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
To anyone interested in switching to rolling your own cigarettes:

I smoked about 1 to 1.5 packs of Marlboro until I was 20. Then I was hospitalized for 10 days, unable to smoke at all. When I came out of hospital, I bought a pack of tobacco and rolling papers. After 2 or 3 packs, I was completely used to the taste and have never gone back to filtered cigarettes. I don't like the taste at all anymore. There's something on top of the natural tobacco taste that leaves an aftertaste in your mouth. Also, when you roll your cigarettes on the go, you will automatically smoke less. 50 grams of tobacco only costs 4.50 euro here, and will last me 3 days. That's about 50 cigarettes. Rolling paper is about 1 euro for 100.

soulwaxer

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I used to roll my own cigarettes with loose tobacco, and even that got to be too expensive with the horrific taxes here. I still do, but now I just buy smuggled tax/duty free rolling tobacco lol.
edit on 5-2-2013 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Thing is, you must buy "pipe tobacco" for it to be cost effective. Basically pipe tobacco is just cut slightly differently, but same thing.

And ya, I recommend getting one of those manual arm machines. I used to have the roller thing in the ops video..and although I got good at it, it was still a pain in the arse to use...would snip off the top bit of paper, etc..the top-o-matic roller though rocks and have been happy with it since day 1

Watch out for those cheap electronic rollers..buggy piece of crap machines. I got some auto roller and it was horrible. it super packed everything (think, smoking a pen), and swirled the tobacco to where it layered the tobacco (cherry would fall off like 4-5 times per smoke..insane). Injectors.

But...

Do yourself a favor and get a proper electronic cigarette and smoke vapors...even if you plan on smoking still..toss the e-cig where you do your most unintentional smoking..you will find it is very helpful in cutting down..may even slowly lose your smokers cough.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

If you live in NY, you wouldn't have the right climate to grow it outside.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
There are a couple good sites for getting tobacco of you can't find stuff local. I use a place called Smokers Outlet. Even with not bottom end tobacco and the shipping I keep costs around 10-15 bucks a carton. Most of these tobaccos do not have the chemicals that pre-made cigs do.
If this is something you think you really want to do then spend the money and get one of the big injectors. They are easier to use and make a better cig while saving time. The tubes make a HUGE difference in what you get as the end result.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The thing I like about hand rolled cigarettes is that there are fewer chemicals in them.

The salt peter in tailor-mades helps the paper burn so you constantly puff to smoke it, with a roll up that uses natural paper with nothing but gum arabic to stick it, they go out all the time. I like that and can make a single cigarette last HOURS.

I spend about 10 euros for enough "backie" to last 2 weeks and buy boxes of "smoking" brand papers that work out at 50 centimes for 200 papers.

I also smoke less when I drive because I can't just open a pack and stick one in my gob.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I was looking for a cheaper way to get my fix and rolling my own was the first thing that came to mind. I've been wanting to greatly reduce my cigarette smoking, so I tried the ECig and found I really like it, so I'm gonna stick with it for a while. If I do go back to smoking "real" cigs, I'll be rolling my own.
My cigars now, that's a different issue all together. I don't think I could do as good a job as the CAO Brazilia or Carlos Torano if I had all the fixins' anyway.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Ive been doing this since about 2009 its cheap and theres no fsc ( fire safe cigarette) which is carpet glue. Look at your pack of marlboros or newports at the barcode on the side and it says fsc. That stuff is garbage for your body, plus the other chemichals they put in thee tobacco.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angle
Here I go again..

To all who are about to grow their own, USE ORGONITE

Is there any real proof of all these claims? Actual tests by scientists? I'd like to see them if they're available.
www.orgonite.info...

Simple. Easy to make. Works continuously. Turns negative energy into positive energy. Purifies the atmosphere, detoxifies water, ends drought. Helps plants grow better, repel pests & require less water. Mitigates harmful effects of EMF radiation. Disarms and repels predatory forms of life. Inspires a pleasant demeanor and balanced, happier moods. Frequently remedies insomnia and chronic nightmares. Helps awaken your innate psychic senses.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodsmom
I don't know if they changed the rules yet, but, our tobacco shop shared with us a few years ago that pipe tobacco isn't taxed the same as cigarette tobacco. The fine cut pipe tobacco rolls just as well as the canisters of cigarette tobacco and it's about a dollar cheaper.

That's one thing the major manufacturers are getting ticked about. Pipe tobacco is taxes at a different rate than commercial cigarettes, and they are losing revenue. For now, pipe tobacco is much less expensive, preservative free, and "better" for you.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Having read through this thread and being pro-tobacco I had a thought about the commercial brand packaging. I wonder why the government doesn't require that the manufacturers print all the chemicals in their cigarettes on the label.

If the government really wanted people to quit smoking they could kill the tobacco industry in a heartbeat. They'd miss the taxes though. What a game they play with us.

Enjoy your smokes. I've tried every tobacco out there (ryo, cigars, pipe). Good stuff. Miss it.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I have not read all the posts but those ones I did see that were talking about the cost of cigs and tobacco surprised me.
Here in NZ the cost of 30gram pack of Port Royal is $32NZ !!!!!
For me that only lasts 2 days.
I was a Rothmans smoker from 15 to about 21 then I went to roll your owns, Drum for about 10 years then to Port Royal. I'm 58 now.
Most of the cost here is Govt Taxes, smokers are an easy hit, and the general public who don't smoke say "serves you right"
I agree with some of the posters about tailor mades, I can't smoke them any more, they are tasteless to me and make me cough and give me a headache. I believe its the filters and probably all the chemicals in the tobacco.

My grandfather smoked roll your owns, he was in France in WW1 and that is where he started at 17 years old. He had a machine to roll them when he was in his 80's and when I used to go stay with my grandparents during the school holidays in the 1960's it was part of the days routine to sit at the kitchen table and roll up a batch of cigs for the day. I can't recall him ever coughing or having health problems because of smoking. He died at 85 of pneumonia after getting caught in a shower of rain while working out in the vegetable garden.

I have never used a machine to roll mine, to me that is too easy and you will probably smoke more.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

A piece of lettuce or even a clean bit of damp paper towel will help keep the non additive 'baco moist.

When I break down and get commercial smokes I get headaches and that raspy hack... taking burning particles into one's lungs all the time isn't brilliant, but the additives, poisons and papers in commercial smokes are pretty horrible.

As I said in that other thread, my relative who works in a lab that adds chemicals to cigarettes told me to never, EVER smoke cigs with additives. She was pretty adamant and experience and common sense tends to support her.

As always, natural seems better and moderation, though sometimes dull, is the way to go. E-smokes, or vaporizers, are cheaper and work all right, too, just not the same... not the same...
edit on 2/5/2013 by Baddogma because: type-o negative

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddogma

My grandmother always swore by a slice of apple (like if you were to cut an apple into quarters and use one of the slices) She always said that it helped retain just the right amount of moisture. Not too crisp and not too soggy.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Well, after rolling about 100 cigs and smoking about a dozen, i think im starting to get used to the flavor, but next time, I'm going to experiment with the pipe tobaccos, but i think this is what im gonna do for now on

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

Here in Australia, tobacco costs $35 for 50 grams!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gangstersoflove

Same sh*t here in Canada
Why is it always the countries that are related to England have the greediest governments? It's... oh, wait. I think I just answered my own question

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Two years without cigarettes and I can't tell you how better my life is. I was a pack a day smoker for three years, I did the math, I spent roughly $8,000 on cigarettes in those three years. EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS! My health was going to # and I was always broke. Thanks to Marijuana I am 100% off tobacco and the health problems associated with my tobacco use have subsided (although unfortunately not 100% gone) . I know how it rubs you the wrong way to hear someone tell you to quit, but it is honestly THE smartest thing you could do. I wish everyone the best of luck.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join