It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarettes the cheaper way

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Here in this part of FL...

They have "Loop Hole Tobacco Shops"

with Cigarette Making Machines the size of a refirgerator...

So you "buy" the Tobacco, "Buy the Tubes" then "rent" the machine for $22 a cartoon (190-205 cigarettes, they promise)

The only catch is you "legally" have to press the "start" button -

Love it.

Then I use scissiors and "shred the pipe tobacco" almost as if it was marijuana - since pipe tobacco is legal to sell, only difference is size of cut.

So for a good 10 mins I "cut it, cut it, cut it."

Different choices for tubes.... I'm experimenting.

Burns so slow, only problem - then 2nd half is "stronger" than first half -

edit on 04/04/2008 by Diluted because: (no reason given)

edit on 04/04/2008 by Diluted because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Using organic tobacco ensures that you are at least not inhaling chemical additives. Furthermore, organic tobacco, as food, tastes better, and is stronger. The smell of a tobacco flower is divine.

Before you know it, you will be spinning smokes one-handed, on horseback.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I tried this a couple of years ago for a just in case my smokes run out I have a back up plan deal.... Then I started rolling my own for about a year, started to hack my lungs out with the rollies so I had to go back.... If I could afford it I would go back to e cigs, if only they were as cheap and widely available as regular tobacco

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I buy mine on the internet, $12 for a pound (16oz)of tobacco and $1.75 for 200 tubes,$9 for shipping. I buy enough to last me for about 2 months, it costs about $75.
I noticed I don`t smoke as much because I don`t always feel like making a cigarette so I just don`t smoke one.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
I run with American Spirit brand -- and I switch between their yellow and the red organic. I can't stand anything buy all natural/organic tobacco these days.

American Spirit is good -- a bit too harsh for me. The harshness comes from the preservatives, which in the tobacco world, are not considered "additives" so they can still add preservatives and say "no additives." There are a minimum number of things that must be in the tobacco (by law in the US) to sell packaged cigarettes -- those minimum "additives" don't need to be called "additives."
That's why Lucky Strike stopped selling in the US.

Interesting. I always liked Lucky Strike (filtered) the most, and do miss them. I wondered why they stopped selling, that explains everything.

I've been smoking spirit blues for years, and I am getting a bit tired of their harshness. They give off a really ammonia-like smell as well. Been smoking nat shermans, noticeable difference (and unfortunately price).

Rolling my own seems like an option, I'll look into some of the suggestions made in this thread.
Looking for quality stuff, ya know?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I smoked for 17 years and completely quit a few years ago. If I still smoked I'd probably roll my own like the OP. The taxes that they put on cigarettes in NY are insane. $100 a carton!!!! You almost need a second job to maintain your smoking habit.

FYI, for anyone who cares. I quit by switching to those electronic cigs when they first came out years ago. I smoked them for about 6 months. One day I got really sick (Bronchitis) and I could hardly even breathe let alone inhale anything for a few days. I mentally told myself, nows the time, and quit cold turkey. Good luck for anyone trying to quit. It's tough but do-able.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Diluted

They used to have a place like that across the river in WI but it got shut down. I believe it was because of some technicality but I don't know for sure.

I rolled my own for a while when I was unemployed, then switched back to regular smokes, and just recently bought 10 cartons worth online. Cost me less than $90 here. Got a 5 lb bag of Smoker's Best mild tobacco for $54 and 10 cartons of 200 SB tubes for $27. Even with shipping less than $9 per carton although it's kind of a pain to RYO. I bought a cheap electronic cigarette maker off ebay but i don't like the cigs it makes. Like has been said before the cherry drops off way too easily and it also seems to twist, I'm guessing because of the screw injector. Might have to try one of those hand crank tube injectors.

I've also been looking into growing my own tobacco but I'm not sure how they would do up here in MN. Been thinking about building a greenhouse, they would prob do great in there. I'll have to check out the links here about growing it. Does anybody have any experience/opinions about these seed packs?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

You could get the idea the fascists that run the UK don't want you to use tobacco.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

i switched to vaporizing a year ago.

healthier & about $9 a week after a investment in a decent variable voltage vape.

you can guess as to the nature of the magic tincture beside it. that price may vary.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeussusZ

You guys should open a thread about growing tobacco. I'm really interested.

Ah... And YES it's survival ! Try to awake at 4 am and have no tobacco.....
...and yes, I don't care.. i love it

edit on 4-2-2013 by LordAdef because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
most of that tobacco they sell with the tubes is pipe tobacco, very harsh

don't buy the cheap stuff if you are rolling your own tubes

you won't be able to breathe in a month

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enzo954
I smoked for 17 years and completely quit a few years ago. If I still smoked I'd probably roll my own like the OP. The taxes that they put on cigarettes in NY are insane. $100 a carton!!!! You almost need a second job to maintain your smoking habit.

FYI, for anyone who cares. I quit by switching to those electronic cigs when they first came out years ago. I smoked them for about 6 months. One day I got really sick (Bronchitis) and I could hardly even breathe let alone inhale anything for a few days. I mentally told myself, nows the time, and quit cold turkey. Good luck for anyone trying to quit. It's tough but do-able.

drive to pa

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
reply to post by HIWATT

that would be ideal, only i dunno how to grow tobacco, and i am not sure if I am ALLOWED to grow tobacco for personal use...
Will have to look into that

Sure you are, some folks in northeast Ga do it where I grew up, we didn't because we didn't have a tobacco barn or a stripping shed. It takes more than just planting it, the entire process is sort of involved and time consuming.

I guess if you were set up for it before TSHTF, you'd have a wealth of trade goods, though.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
I hear you. I quit for a couple of weeks in Iraq cold turkey. At first my Det OIC and Ops SGT were "Good for you!"

Two weeks later they gave me a carton of cigarettes.

I didn't smoke in the field because you could smell it too far. I just switched to Copenhagen.

That made giving up smoking a breeze.

Quitting Copenhagen, now, that's a horse of a different color. Dip is serious stuff. I'm not sure if was meaner on Lariam or off dip. Either way, it's not good.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

I'd love to learn your method!! Thanks for offering to share. I will have to check the laws here in Texas though. I heard once from someone about a year ago something similar to what an earlier poster said, about as long as you don't sell it and its only for personal use, then its legal. But I never checked. I was buying 1 pound bags from an Indian reservation and the filtered papers, with a small plastic slide type rolling majiggy.... I didn't last long that way. Didn't know they made something to roll a pack in 5 mins...

Nice thread OP! I'm getting some good info. Thanks for bringing it out!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedom12
reply to post by HomerinNC

Here's what I use.

$1 per pack here in NH. The 16oz bag ($14.99) makes 2 1/2 cartons, the 2 - 1 carton tubes ($2.49 each)... That equals less than $1 per pack.

After about 3-6 months, Carpal Tunnel syndrome kicks in your wrist.

Solution - switch hands every 6 months.

edit on 5-2-2013 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I bought a couple of packs of Lucky Strikes a few months ago at a gas station here in the USA...? They didn't have filters on them, and I felt like a complete idiot trying to smoke them!

You should try the organic American Spirt's sometime -- they're not quite as harsh!

$10 a pack is killing me, though!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

The blues are to harsh for me. If I know I'll be in a stressful situation, or running low on money I'll buy them. I stick to the yellows. The yellow ones are labeled as "mellow". They are sort of in the "middle".

My GF smokes the black ones. Now those are strong!

If I was going to roll my own, I'd probably take it a step farther and either buy super-organic tobacco or grow it myself. And yes, pipe tobacco is often times taxed much lower!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Different countries, different habits.
I've been smoking for almost 25 years now and I've always rolled my own cigarettes. Very common if you are from the Netherlands.
No machinery needed, just a paper, put tobacco in, roll it, lick it and ready to go.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join