It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to feed the world.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Think about this.

What if we convinced the members of a SINGLE football team to give up HALF of their checks to a certain charity for a month. A trustworthy charity. Hell, I'd be the charity if I had to.

Then, football would actually have a purpose. This team would, literally, be playing to feed the hungry.

How do we cure famine and disease?

I dunno, but it's not gonna start in front of a tv screen.

Look how we're overwhelmed and suffocated with entertainment.

How is it we have the money to waste on our own leisure and brainwash, while there are people all over the world starving and dying?

I'm not a hippie, don't get me wrong.

But, I do see something SERIOUSLY wrong with ALL of our priorities.

No, not Americans. No, not Europeans.

All of us.

This isn't a "cultural" thing regarding how "Americans are so lazy" or anything.

ALL OF US ARE TO BLAME.

It's a cultural wrongness that all of humanity is embracing.

I feel guilty drawing, writing, or watching television.

There's so much more that needs to be done. There's so many better ways the money used for entertainment could be spent.

This idea spawned from my "Rant" thread... haha.

Maybe I'll follow through with this. Make a website, spread the idea, etc. We'll be hunting football teams.

Yeah.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
good luck with that, they don't think they make enough $ as it is you would never get them to donate anymore then their taxes would allow and most donate to their own charity which they are in control of.

Its called greed, its been around a while, no one care about other people, and they never have.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
good luck with that, they don't think they make enough $ as it is you would never get them to donate anymore then their taxes would allow and most donate to their own charity which they are in control of.

Its called greed, its been around a while, no one care about other people, and they never have.

Greed, true.

Still, donating to a charity would give them positive publicity, fueling their blimp of greed. It would benefit them as well.

I care, or I wouldn't be so pissed off.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by inj3ct0r
Do not get too caught up in the future. Humanity has faced worse. Wars, great environmental catastrophe, and for the record, we have faced many famines and droughts. The question you are asking is in response to an issue already solved. Whenever food or drink became an issue in the world, you will notice a decrease in human population increase as a result. During economic booms, the population increases because of plentiful resources. As you can see, the correlation of human production is equal to economic output. Another part of the solution is the conservative nature of Earth. Yes we are running scarce on certain resources(oil, natural gas gradually, and non-conservative power like electricity etc.), but we always have immediate resources like food and water because they can be recycled into earth and reproduced again much more quickly. There is a population cap on global output, but as technology advances more, we will be able to feed the next 2 billion in 56 years with food and water to spare, the only concern is if we will all be alive by then, which I am sure we will be. Humans are by far the most resourceful and intelligent creatures in our knowledge. If there is a way, it will be found.

I understand. Still, how can we watch tv and football games? Every time I do, I feel guilty. We have a totally uneven scale of what we deem "important." I don't understand why we get guilted by those commercials with starving children, then we give money to a questionable charity, but people can waste millions of dollars on a Superbowl commercial.

I suppose thinking on a wider scale, your explanation makes perfect sense.

However, thinking on the "here and now" scale, it doesn't seem right.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The answer to world hunger is Ramen noodles. If they could be fortified with vitamins and nutrients, they would be the best world meal. At 15 cents per package you cant go wrong. All you need is boiled water.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrBigDave
The answer to world hunger is Ramen noodles. If they could be fortified with vitamins and nutrients, they would be the best world meal. At 15 cents per package you cant go wrong. All you need is boiled water.

That'd be nice

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Get rid of gmo crap.
I hate taking the seeds out of something I've bought from the store, planting them, and finding out that they won't produce a veggie!

Seeds are supposed to turn into fruit/veggies!
These days they don't, more often.

Anyone with a south window or a yard can grow some type of food.
Most of the seeds don't work anymore though.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
Get rid of gmo crap.
I hate taking the seeds out of something I've bought from the store, planting them, and finding out that they won't produce a veggie!

Seeds are supposed to turn into fruit/veggies!
These days they don't, more often.

Anyone with a south window or a yard can grow some type of food.
Most of the seeds don't work anymore though.

Because most of the plants, fruits and veggies sold in the mainstream stores are hybrid plants. Plants that are genetically altered NOT to reproduce.

Get some farmer's market plants, or you can purchase non-hybrid seeds. They even have them at walmart.

If we had productive plants, even homeless people could find a corner on the side of the interstate and plant a berry bush... ahaha.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Put all obese people on a diet. There would be enough food surplus to feed the hungry and the relief on healthcare would help sort out disease.

But no, freedom means that gluttony is allowed.

new topics

top topics

join