It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tech, telecom giants take sides as FCC proposes large public WiFi networks (Free For Everyone)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I have to say this is the first legislation or idea being promoted by the government that I think is for the better good. My suspicions are that there is something nefarious in this act since when has anything been done to benefit the common man and not an industry or corporation. Perhaps those that are more tech savvy can shed a light on this development and what it means. Maybe this is just a bill that will open up markets for tech devices. Uh, I don't know.

The federal government wants to create super WiFi networks across the nation, so powerful and broad in reach that consumers could use them to make calls or surf the Internet without paying a cellphone bill every month.

The proposal from the Federal Communications Commission has rattled the $178 billion wireless industry, which has launched a fierce lobbying effort to persuade policymakers to reconsider the idea, analysts say. That has been countered by an equally intense campaign from Google, Microsoft and other tech giants who say a free-for-all WiFi service would spark an explosion of innovations and devices that would benefit most Americans, especially the poor.

The airwaves that FCC officials want to hand over to the public would be much more powerful than existing WiFi networks that have become common in households. They could penetrate thick concrete walls and travel over hills and around trees. If all goes as planned, free access to the Web would be available in just about every metropolitan area and in many rural area

WaPo article
edit on 4-2-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
well the obvious would be the reason they want it to be free for everyone is they can spy on more people and the people will willingly go with it so they can have free wifi.. And likely what they will do is pay the current providers to provide it but it will be run as a separate GOV controlled sector which they have control over so if they want info on anyone or anything or want to run surveillance on anyone they don't have to go through the actual company because its their area.. BTW its not free our taxes will pay for it.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Because if it is public wifi, they can use it to spread the FCC fairness doctrine, which thus far they have been unsuccessful in implementing with privately owned companies. They can use it to spread their disinfo and propaganda.

Also if the government owns the network, they can monitor your internet activities themselves without having to subpoena records from your internet provider.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Why should the Tax payer be on the hook for this?

This is not a good idea.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I don't see any problem with it really.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
it could also insure that devices that THEY want will have clear access to the net. hard to do when your home router is locked down, but offer free wi-fi to everyone and that can opener that you have no clue is a bug can also get on the net without the need of a password. kinda like those "tv's" in 1984 broadcasting in both directions.

is ANYTHING REALLY FREE?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Then after reading the very very very small print at the bottom of the user agreement when you click connect...

You learn that it states..

Any transmissions through the government free WI-FI is to be censored, data collected and zero privacy.

I have a question...
Who did they buy the bandwidth blocks to be able to sell to others for billions?

Oh that's right they did not buy them...

They just assume they own them...well..because they can.
edit on 4-2-2013 by knowledgedesired because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
My suspicions are that there is something nefarious in this act since when has anything been done to benefit the common man and not an industry or corporation.

There are lots of chips in common hardware (tv,cellphones,camaras,gps,cars,etc). It would be really nice if everything was connected in order to ease-drop ,monitor,control (censored),etc . However, I'm sure there is no interest for Real-time surveillance.

edit on 4-2-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Is there no limit to the suspicion?

It take a couple of years for the IRS to catch errors in returns.
They haven't been able to pass a budget in 4 years.
It looks doubtfull they will be able to limit the number os rounds in a magazine.

And you think they have the ability and desire to monitor every singe packet going across the web???
You do realize you can still encrypt your data don't you???

Get a grip. The government is incompetent. The law enforcement branch (s) are over loaded with simple drug and gang violence issues. And you think they care about you looking at titty pictures???

Did you know they are strickly forbiden to create a database of gun ownership records?
To trace a guns owner thay have to manually look through paper records from closed gun shops or call existing gun shops and have them forward a copy of the page in their record books.
How does that fit your conspiracy model???

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
Is there no limit to the suspicion?

It take a couple of years for the IRS to catch errors in returns.
They haven't been able to pass a budget in 4 years.
It looks doubtfull they will be able to limit the number os rounds in a magazine.

And you think they have the ability and desire to monitor every singe packet going across the web???
You do realize you can still encrypt your data don't you???

Get a grip. The government is incompetent. The law enforcement branch (s) are over loaded with simple drug and gang violence issues. And you think they care about you looking at titty pictures???

Did you know they are strickly forbiden to create a database of gun ownership records?

To trace a guns owner thay have to manually look through paper records from closed gun shops or call existing gun shops and have them forward a copy of the page in their record books.
How does that fit your conspiracy model???

Easy, they already have the technology to do it and they have planned on doing it. You do realize they have software that monitors the data that sets alerts to make it easier to track all.

Gov't is NOT incompetent in all areas. They do very well on DOD type work and space exploration. What you know and what they have is not equivalent. Ever heard of loop holes and targeted language being used on regulations.

BTW I was answering the question the OP posted as a possible scenario. Not saying they will use it this way but likely just how they monitor FB accounts.

Under construction by contractors with top-secret clearances, the blandly named Utah Data Center is being built for the National Security Agency. A project of immense secrecy, it is the final piece in a complex puzzle assembled over the past decade. Its purpose: to intercept, decipher, analyze, and store vast swaths of the world’s communications as they zap down from satellites and zip through the underground and undersea cables of international, foreign, and domestic networks. The heavily fortified $2 billion center should be up and running in September 2013.

Flowing through its servers and routers and stored in near-bottomless databases will be all forms of communication, including the complete contents of private emails, cell phone calls, and Google searches, as well as all sorts of personal data trails—parking receipts, travel itineraries, bookstore purchases, and other digital “pocket litter.” It is, in some measure, the realization of the “total information awareness”

www.wired.com...

edit on 4-2-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
wi-fi is very bad for your mental health ... look into it!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

question for me has always been why technology necessary for an advanced nation was not FREE and universal.

Electricity should be done in Telsa´s vision for our world. WIFI should be made universal so technology can rely more on it and we can increase the sharing and proliferation of knowledge.

Honestly, I kind of like universal health care. It DOES make sense.

The thing is this should all be implemented slowly and reasonably. Each nation should be treated differently also. The US may never have universal health care work. We don’t think it necessary and it will create HUGE problems in our system. Universal Electricity and WIFI are more down our alley since we want to stay a world leader technologically and innovation. That is conducive to our goals.

Nowhere in Europe besides maybe the Netherlands would want the free WIFI and electricity. TOO MANY interests and costs from state spending to cut the revenue those industries generate. Also there is allot of money to lose in little envelopes as it passes from hand to hand between telecommunications and utilities and the EU governments. They would obviously like to keep their universal healthcare.

I also think a world library with all knowledge should be made and made available to every single human being.
NO BS, or lies. Absolute facts. EVERYTHING we know. All of our knowledge in a formal library. A UNIVERSAL LIBRARY for mankind.

I would call it the new library of Alexandria. I would make it free to use. Maybe the free WIF could start by creating a network linked this library that was accessible by any wifi capable computer.

Electricity should be free. The ancient cultures had it. Telsa proved that- Remote projected electricity for the world. Set up a network of emitter power stations and have the BALLS to change the human condition. Also have the BALLS to educate the entire species where everyone can have access to all the knowledge we have every learned.

THAT would make a generation of TITANS worthy of several pages of our human history book.

yeah profit may not be the same, but honestly, don’t be a freaking savage. Scared little business men. Like a monkey jealously guarding his bananas. Have the heart (BALLS) to change the human condition.

edit on 4-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This is very very bad.

1. Government hands out free internet access for all.
2. Private ISPs go out of business.
3. Public has no alternative to government wifi.
4. We all have to make do with slow, spotty internet access. Download bandwidth is throttled way back. Government surveillance and censorship increases 1000 fold.
5. Government is eventually the only internet service provider, and since they officially own it then they officially have their fat hand on the "OFF" switch.
6. But hey, it's "free." Right? Wait, haven't I heard before about government building roads and then allowing the subcontractor who did the actual construction to collect tolls on those roads? No, I must be crazy because all public works and municipal services are free to the consumer like Medicare, water, sewer, etc.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

i am 100% opposed to this.

Why would I want the government having access to my search history? It is nothing but a data grab. Nothing is free.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

i am 100% opposed to this.

Why would I want the government having access to my search history? It is nothing but a data grab. Nothing is free.

Couldn't agree more, Texan. You'd think by now everybody would have heard about the gigantic NSA data-gathering facility in Utah. This just makes their job that much easier. As someone mentioned, no more hassling with ISPs; they'll already own it all.

Recall during the CARS clunker trade-in, when you logged onto the government website there was a notice that, as long as you were visiting that website, everything on your computer was the property of the government? You can be sure that's what this crap is all about....

new topics

join