It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Tip for Navigating ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Would you like a quick tip for knowing if an OP is worth reading and the info important?

It's simple-

There are government/corporation shills on this forum. They will discredit/undermine/derail any useful info. The better the info, the quicker they will show up and the harsher their undermining efforts.

It is ironic that we can use this development to identify worthwhile threads because when I see a 'discrediting' campaign begin (especially when more than one shill turns up), then that serves to show the info is solid.

Next time you see a thread that's quite long and you're not sure if you wanna read the whole thing, check out the initial replies, the shills show up like clockwork to undermine the information if it is any good. Same tactics are used each time but it serves as a good indicator of what info is worthwhile.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'm never afraid to show my support for a particular theory, even when it goes against common beliefs within the conspiracy world.

I can think of at least 3 falsely named hoaxes on here, ATS is not far off the MSM.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
These idiots are everywhere and they cannot see something positive happen in a society.

edit on 4-2-2013 by inj3ct0r because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I'll never understand why people are worried about the govt watching them through ATS. The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act pretty much guarantees that you're being watched, recorded, and analyzed without any help from ATS. Everything you do online is recorded by your ISP and the NSA can access whatever they want without a warrant.

ATS is the least of your concerns

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady
I'll never understand why people are worried about the govt watching them through ATS. The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act pretty much guarantees that you're being watched, recorded, and analyzed without any help from ATS. Everything you do online is recorded by your ISP and the NSA can access whatever they want without a warrant.

ATS is the least of your concerns

LOL, you'd think so aye?

Last year I was under a different user name and managed to bump into my ex-army recruiter.

He heard of my semi-IRA sympathy and threatend to launch a full investigation!

He broke some rules to so eventually backed off.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

And you all know for a fact that these alleged shills and disinfo agents are indeed here and currently posting on the boards and in threads? Well that's certainly news to me. No, seriously, it is, even as a moderator and someone who see's "behind the scenes" here on ATS. To talk so surely about it as well is just odd to me as, like I hinted at, it's just speculation..

Simple as that really. Disagreeing isn't the same as being disinfo either, this being the source of many of these claims as far as I've seen and been on the receiving end of in the past - No, disagreeing is apart of ATS and It's part of life. And it need's to be accepted, end of. To go to the length of claiming Disinfo is nothing but an admission of a debate loss somewhere as far as I'm concerned and I'm yet to be convinced otherwise. If someone is being rude or insulting here on ATS however then instead of being rude and insulting back just alert, Ignore them, move on, continue your quest for truth. Simple.

In my opinion the theory that they - disinfo agents - being here is nonsense and nothing but paranoia. I mean I love this website, I try to contribute whenever I can, but at the same time I'm smart enough to recognize that I'm just posting my thoughts and theories on an online forum... Sorry to break it to some of you out there, but we're just not that special that we need to have agents put on our backs. We're just not.

This is all just my opinion of course, but we'll see how the responses go.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

And you all know for a fact that these alleged shills and disinfo agents are indeed here and currently posting on the boards and in threads? Well that's certainly news to me. No, seriously, it is, even as a moderator and someone who see's "behind the scenes" here on ATS. To talk so surely about it as well is just odd to me as, like I hinted at, it's just speculation..

Simple as that really. Disagreeing isn't the same as being disinfo either, this being the source of many of these claims as far as I've seen and been on the receiving end of in the past - No, disagreeing is apart of ATS and It's part of life. And it need's to be accepted, end of. To go to the length of claiming Disinfo is nothing but an admission of a debate loss somewhere as far as I'm concerned and I'm yet to be convinced otherwise. If someone is being rude or insulting here on ATS however then instead of being rude and insulting back just alert, Ignore them, move on, continue your quest for truth. Simple.

In my opinion the theory that they - disinfo agents - being here is nonsense and nothing but paranoia. I mean I love this website, I try to contribute whenever I can, but at the same time I'm smart enough to recognize that I'm just posting my thoughts and theories on an online forum... Sorry to break it to some of you out there, but we're just not that special that we need to have agents put on our backs. We're just not.

This is all just my opinion of course, but we'll see how the responses go.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Number one Disinfo Agent here folks!!

aha.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

There is a difference to someone disagreeing and someone who only ever posts to discredit or undermine a thread, or even the poster themselves.

If the thread is about a person, they undermine them and say the link isn't worth following etc.

Blatant tactics and they show up in numbers when there is a good thread with worthwhile info.

The purpose of shills by the way, is to counter balance the conspiracy group mindset.

If you have a conspiracy forum, then if there is no balance, the group mindset is always going to side with a 'conspiracy'. Government shills simply provide the alternative and serve to balance the general views of ATS.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Now this here is a paid disinfo agent because he said it wasn't so

.. lol seriously though .

People have different stances and views on topics . Sadly people who take a stance that is against the grain are viewed as a shill or a troll . The government has other major issues to deal with than surfing the forums , they have key words and phrases that watch out for things of importance to them be it here on ats or facebook or email and texting on our phones .

I really don't think the government really cares what us bottom feeders think of the Nwo or about alien bases on the moon or who we think shot kennedy . especially when we are constantly fighting with each other as to what is fact or fiction in a world where there is not a hell of a lot of evidence .

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by inj3ct0r

Ha ha thanks.

Disagreement can and should lead to good discussion about a topic, but that isn't what I'm talking about but that's another problem with ATS: people who do not read a thread properly and just spout unrelated and out of context comments

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou
Number one Disinfo Agent here folks!!

aha.

I hope you're being facetious.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Given the facts on the table ( just click my name and go to any number of my previous threads discussing the topic or even related ones ) - I have to work under the assumption that there are, indeed, professional agent provocateurs not just on ATS, but online in general. This is a belief based in documented and published fact.

Beyond that, however, anything else I might think or add falls into opinion. That's something that they, IMO, rely upon heavily. For example: I know that I don't work for Uncle Sam or any contractors of his, nor do I get paid by any corporate interests to post here. The catch is that while I know it, nobody else can be sure of it. The same applies to each and every other member of ATS. Even if we know other ATS'ers IRL - only they can be fairly sure we're legit. Everyone else is in the dark.

I've got a few folks who tend to come into nearly all of my threads, rather quickly, to derail and pursue an agenda or two. It's part of my life to know that if I do post a thread, I'm very likely to see their familiar faces. The question is do I think that they are paid to come at me? I honestly don't believe that. As a moderator I have to remove posts, close threads, and send out messages asking folks to follow the rules. Most of the community understands this and accepts it. Some, however, hold grudges. From my POV? Honestly, if I remove your post all chances are that an hour later I won't even remember what username I actioned. I make an effort not to keep "score" - so that I don't end up looking for offense.

Thankfully I can also recall the time before I was on staff - and even then I had a couple of folks who seemed to enjoy yanking my chain and who'd visit my threads to derail and disrupt. I didn't think that they were paid to do so either. I just accepted that there are those out there who might not agree with my world view and who might get their jollies by trying to provoke me.

Long story short? Even if there are paid agents here, the key to coping is to treat them like any other disruptive member. Calling them, or anyone else "shill" will only get you in trouble. So worrying about whether or not they are is kind of pointless. Paid or not, their goal is to sidetrack conversation and push an agenda. Simply don't let them. Stay on topic, ignore the distractions, and keep the conversation going.

I do, agree, though... easier said than done sometimes. Emotions are real and there are folks in this world who certainly know how to push buttons.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Given the facts on the table ( just click my name and go to any number of my previous threads discussing the topic or even related ones ) - I have to work under the assumption that there are, indeed, professional agent provocateurs not just on ATS, but online in general. This is a belief based in documented and published fact.

Beyond that, however, anything else I might think or add falls into opinion. That's something that they, IMO, rely upon heavily. For example: I know that I don't work for Uncle Sam or any contractors of his, nor do I get paid by any corporate interests to post here. The catch is that while I know it, nobody else can be sure of it. The same applies to each and every other member of ATS. Even if we know other ATS'ers IRL - only they can be fairly sure we're legit. Everyone else is in the dark.

I've got a few folks who tend to come into nearly all of my threads, rather quickly, to derail and pursue an agenda or two. It's part of my life to know that if I do post a thread, I'm very likely to see their familiar faces. The question is do I think that they are paid to come at me? I honestly don't believe that. As a moderator I have to remove posts, close threads, and send out messages asking folks to follow the rules. Most of the community understands this and accepts it. Some, however, hold grudges. From my POV? Honestly, if I remove your post all chances are that an hour later I won't even remember what username I actioned. I make an effort not to keep "score" - so that I don't end up looking for offense.

Thankfully I can also recall the time before I was on staff - and even then I had a couple of folks who seemed to enjoy yanking my chain and who'd visit my threads to derail and disrupt. I didn't think that they were paid to do so either. I just accepted that there are those out there who might not agree with my world view and who might get their jollies by trying to provoke me.

Long story short? Even if there are paid agents here, the key to coping is to treat them like any other disruptive member. Calling them, or anyone else "shill" will only get you in trouble. So worrying about whether or not they are is kind of pointless. Paid or not, their goal is to sidetrack conversation and push an agenda. Simply don't let them. Stay on topic, ignore the distractions, and keep the conversation going.

I do, agree, though... easier said than done sometimes. Emotions are real and there are folks in this world who certainly know how to push buttons.

~Heff

The point of the thread is not that they annoy me per say, I just take it for granted that they are there.

My concern is their effect on others. Derailing and undermining an OP is intended to stop others from looking into what the OP is about. Personally, I have in the past not added to a thread because of the derailing and presence of a shill.

Let's say an OP links to a website and the first reply is that that link is a 'waste of time' or not very reliable etc. I know I will read replies before clicking a link to make sure it is legit and these 'shills' are operating to put people off taking something seriously or believing it because the source is suspect or the person in question is just insane/paranoid etc.

It has a huge impact on the forum IMO and my advice is, you will learn to identify certain posters, and when they show up, you know the OP is onto something- which once you realise, helps combat the shill's role and intent.

edit on 4-2-2013 by Wonderer2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

yah know. you didn't list any sources in your OP ... link or it didn't happen!

are there any real media outlets covering this story, come on OP

you conspiracy nitwits will belive any old thing that they thow out here.

there is only the truth, and if you don't believe in what is the truth, than you are delusional and living in a fantasy world. how are you supposed to judge the thruth from your feelings inside you, facts are the only truth and that's the facts.

i can't really belive that you believe that you're on to something here

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wonderer2012
Would you like a quick tip for knowing if an OP is worth reading and the info important?

It's simple-

There are government/corporation shills on this forum. They will discredit/undermine/derail any useful info. The better the info, the quicker they will show up and the harsher their undermining efforts.

It is ironic that we can use this development to identify worthwhile threads because when I see a 'discrediting' campaign begin (especially when more than one shill turns up), then that serves to show the info is solid.

Next time you see a thread that's quite long and you're not sure if you wanna read the whole thing, check out the initial replies, the shills show up like clockwork to undermine the information if it is any good. Same tactics are used each time but it serves as a good indicator of what info is worthwhile.

So what you are saying is the information you believe on ATS is the information that is most highly debunked.

In other words, you believe the most false information that exist on these boards.

Bravo.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Was a private joke.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

I was told.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
nevermind
edit on 4-2-2013 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join