It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My teen daughter is suddenly asking questions...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by inj3ct0r
reply to post by Piper96

Hey I am a teenager too(16+).

I have been involved with Conspiracy, NLP,Hypnosis,psychology and IT since I was 10 years old.
I never tell my parent about it coz they will consider me insane.
As a matter of fact I do not discuss this things with my friends too. They always get suspicious if talk about these things. There is something in conspiracy that interests me . I have a feeling that 'something is not right'.

If I tell my parents that I know about things like hollow earth ,masons,nazi secret experiments,tesla conspiracy,pyramids etc they will probably freak out . The things that interested me in conspiracy are movies like matrix,batman,limitless,the secret and games like system shock and deus ex.

So no worries ,your daughter is perfectly normal ,she is just an 'outcast'.

edit on 4-2-2013 by inj3ct0r because: (no reason given)

Neuro linguistic programming works but only on people who don't know how to use it lol, Hypnosis only works when a the person is willing to be manipulated and every first year college student knows about psychology and in all honesty becoming talented in Neuro linguistic programming requires100's of hours of practice experimenting on friends and family. The 3 do-not work in accordance with each other unless you are a genius because it requires too many variables.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I would ask your daughter what makes you think that the people on "youtube" who are telling you about these symbols and mind control methods are not using them on her? At first she will blow it off, then it will creep her out lol. I suggest you teach her how to remain unbiased when receiving information, collect from more then one source and listen to both sides of the story only then can she correctly come to a truly informed conclusion on the topic. Do this with her have her tell you what topic shes into at the time, then have her debate both sides of the topic honesty. Then asks for her assessment of the topics based of facts and facts alone. When she asks why tell her that's how the court system works. Most kids this will turn them off to the whole idea but a few it will challenge them enough to make it interesting.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Reading about alternative theories helps you think outside the box, as long as you don't go too far with it. Encourage her to think outside the box, but remind her to be rational.

I've been visiting this site since I was 12 lol (over 18 now) and I haven't ended up in a padded cell.

...Yet.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Piper96

Longtime lurker here, just wanted to offer up some of my own advice being that I'm a girl and discovered this site when I was about 15 (now about to graduate college).
I never told my parents about the site when I was younger because I knew I was still learning. It seems typical that when you first start "waking up", you grab the first thing you can get ahold of--for me it as UFOs/ghosts/etc. All pure curiosity. Anyway, I'll reiterate what everyone else has been saying, encourage her to ask why not just of illuminati, but encourage her to explore other areas!

It's probably due in part to this site that journalism has been my passion since I was young.

Some tangible advice: I sought out free podcasts on the iTunes store when I had a hard time falling asleep in college (Lost withdrawals) and ended up downloading "Stuff You Missed In History Class" by HowStuffWorks.com (figuring I would try to bore myself to sleep).
While it didn't solve my sleeping problem, it did satisfy my quizzical mind. It's as if the podcast is perfectly catered to ATSers. 3 years later and I am now an avid listener. Here are a couple of titles from their shows that might interest you and your daughter! The Booth Conspiracy, Who is D.B. Cooper?, Subterranean Cities, 5 Historical Hoaxes, Who as the real Indiana Jones?, etc.

Good luck!
edit on 5-2-2013 by fizliz because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2013 by fizliz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle
Perhaps you should tell her that she needs to remember this is all “theory” and not fact.

Yes, but it's a bit hard to do when they watch "theoretical" documentaries on Illuminati symbolism on the internet, and then walk outside and see that those symbols are absolutely everywhere...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentE
She may seem super paranoid because she's just 'woke up'.
I remember when I first started researching different theories and my mind was blown. I didn't know what to do, who to trust, I was a mess, making my depression worse and worse and then gradually, I calmed down. I still don't know who to trust but I just roll with it instead of getting worked up.
Answer her questions and eventually she may calm down a bit.
Good luck.

I'm looking forward to having these conversations when my boys are older.
edit on 4/2/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

I hear ya. When I first began delving into all the different conspiracies and such, I would nearly hyperventilate at some of the things I was reading/watching. I felt depressed for a while and even more reclusive than ever.
It took me a bit to realize that what I was doing was ridiculous and unhealthy. Being in fear continuously over things that may not even be true.
Like you, I kind of just roll with things no matter what. I began to realize that being scared and in fear all the time isn't going to accomplish anything. I pretty much needed to figure it out for myself.

My advice for the OP, perhaps allow her continue on her quest for knowledge and truth but be a guide!

If I tried to talk to my mom about any of this, she would think I was absolutely nuts.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by Piper96
reply to post by freedomSlave

I only took her computer away temporarily to give her a break from watching those videos. It almost became an obsession for her, and I just thought a few days of cooling off and doing things with her friends for the weekend would help.
As far as Santa goes, she actually told me she already kinda knew. She's always been a little bit wiser beyond her years. Lol

I have to tell a funny story about my daughter and Santa Claus. When she first started really reading (1st grade), she asked me why was it all her Xmas presents said "made in China" on them if they were supposed to be made in Santa's workshop at the North Pole? Observant 6-year-old.

Santa's elves went on strike so he got the Chinese to help out? That was funny.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cherry0

Originally posted by SilentE
She may seem super paranoid because she's just 'woke up'.
I remember when I first started researching different theories and my mind was blown. I didn't know what to do, who to trust, I was a mess, making my depression worse and worse and then gradually, I calmed down. I still don't know who to trust but I just roll with it instead of getting worked up.
Answer her questions and eventually she may calm down a bit.
Good luck.

I'm looking forward to having these conversations when my boys are older.
edit on 4/2/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

I hear ya. When I first began delving into all the different conspiracies and such, I would nearly hyperventilate at some of the things I was reading/watching. I felt depressed for a while and even more reclusive than ever.
It took me a bit to realize that what I was doing was ridiculous and unhealthy. Being in fear continuously over things that may not even be true.
Like you, I kind of just roll with things no matter what. I began to realize that being scared and in fear all the time isn't going to accomplish anything. I pretty much needed to figure it out for myself.

My advice for the OP, perhaps allow her continue on her quest for knowledge and truth but be a guide!

If I tried to talk to my mom about any of this, she would think I was absolutely nuts.

That's exactly how I felt/feel.

About the mom comment:

I remember way back (I laugh about it now because of how silly I sounded) but I remember telling my mum that the annunaki are returning on Nibiru and that EVERYTHING we were ever taught is a lie. She looked at me like I was bonkers!

I suppose I did lose my mind for a few weeks, then the dust settled and I was myself again.
I even told her that there are two suns after watching loads of second sun vids on the tube. I decided to film the sun myself (which ruined my camera :lol
and was convinced I had compelling evidence of this 'second sun'. After spending more time on ats I quickly learnt about flares, sun dogs and the like and realised how ignorant and stupid I sounded!

Now I just inform her on things like flouride and aspartame and back up what I say with links ect, so if she ever 'wakes up' she's got the info.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Piper96

I'd be concerned. Sounds like your daughter has swallowed the "Illuminati" BS hook line and sinker. You probably should set her down and explain to here that the Illuminati hasn't existed since the late 1700's and anyone that tells you otherwise is trying to sell you a book/dvd.

Then maybe show her the way to the library where she can read about such nonsense herself.

That's the problem with "conspiracy theorists" in general. We never stop to realize how this is effecting our youth by spreading garbage rumors and misinformation given to us by the gatekeepers. Now we are seeing a generation of either suicidal or militant youth who really believe that Jay-Z is part of the Illuminati.

It's a sickness and we as conspiracy theorists would do good to remember that fact.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Piper96

[color=6699FF]Sounds like your daughter knows more than the average liberal ATSer. She may not have the maturity one would hope for to sift and sort the information into proper priorities and criteria for degrees of truth. However, she sounds like she has the basics down cold. CONGRATS ON HER FOR THAT! And congrats on you for raising her to have such a good brain on her shoulders.

I didn't really read anything that would convince this psychologist that she has become clinically paranoid.

Paranoia in the clinical sense has to do with unreasonable fears that are NOT congruent with ACTUAL degrees of REAL threat.

She is talking about not only real threat but also horrifically CURRENTLY ACTIVE as well as threatening tyrannical treason and evil that has become ensconced in the highest levels of government, media, financial, educational, military, entertainment, music, etc. industries around the world. Globalism has been increasing dramatically for the last 100 years. It has been a work in diligent progress for at least 200-400 years. Those are just the facts.

I would congratulate her on her understanding and learning and then suggest ways she can actively help prepare herself, her family and home for looming traumas. I would encourage her to particularly prepare her mind, heart, spirit regarding eternal priorities.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I have read the OP and a few of the replies, but did not read all the discussion. I wanted to just state my opinion on your posed question.
I think this is wonderful. Our children are the future. They need to question what is going on around us at this moment. Since she has taken the time to research these people and topics she has a right to express her opinion.

We, as a country , would be in much better shape if we all had questioned what was happening around us years ago. Now we have developed a mess for OUR children to try to figure out how to repair. If we had researched and questioned the past 20 years maybe we could have changed what we have now...a mess.

I hope that these upcoming generations are stronger than we have been, and are able to make a difference. They are stronger and have access to information we never had at their age. Please encourage her to continue looking for the truth, and to share it with her friends.She sounds like a very responsible and mature young lady.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Funny. This same thing happened to me with two of my children at the same time! One in particular was concerned that she would never be able to hear her favorite music anymore and quickly put the brakes on the questions. I let it go. She is free to feel the way she likes about the world. The other continues to ask for guidance and I just tell her how I feel and then show her how others feel differently than me online. She is free to choose her own path of truth. The easiest way to fail your child is to keep them ignorant of what's out in the world. You can't look up all sorts of info and share your feelings with strangers and then reject that same intimacy with your own child when they beg for it. If they are asking you questions about something that really bothers them than they trust you. That kind of intimacy is important to keeping your child safe from the world once it seems to swallow them up (they grow up so quick!). Maybe right now it's about Illuminati but if you are fair and share what you feel, not fear, the next time something important comes up in her life she will remember who she can trust the most. Taking her computer away because she seems obsessed is a bit extreme. How would you feel if someone did the same to you? The truth is, whether you like it or not, your child is growing up and getting ready to leave the nest. Wouldn't it be great to know that you helped give her all the knowledge and support she needs to confidently step into the wild and soar above all the crap people will be trying to trap her with? Men wh omay try to use her come to mind. Sharpen her B.S meter by letting her know all the world has to offer. It ain't all roses out there and she needs to know this.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Perspective is key. Teen daughters take the bull that tard adults say seriously..very seriously:

Sixteen-year-old Chaya poisoned herself at her home in the central city of Indore, her father, Bihari Lal. Her father said she had been worried the "world would end".

Suicidally seriously..
This chick in the quote killed herself after listening to insane 2012 people proclaim the end is nigh...think about that...it was a pretty mainstream conspiracy here and right until 2013, some people fully embraced it...even thought it was worthy of open rebellion against the government and their "clear coverup" of the truth (as they seen it).

Thing is, teach your daughter to question..thats fine..thats perfect..but alert her to the dangers of picking up a -belief-. Just because the answers aren't all in on a subject, or just because there are some questions that haven't been asked, is no reason to ever automatically jump to the other side of the coin and believe alternatives...

Teach skepticism..and how to avoid belief is healthy.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I had to work hard to overcome the temptation to jump in and tell my kids "this is how it really is". So much of what passes for history in our schools is completely wrong, same goes for Church and that can be a real challenge w/ a spouse who isn't aware of the true history of Christianity / the Bible and thinks it's the word of God, delivered by divine inspiration w/ no interference by humans...

It's important for them to learn and see the "mass media" perspective even if it's wrong. So, even though we home school our kids and can completely write the curriculum we teach them the State's version and then discuss things further. The main goal is to teach them not to take the State or Government or Mass Media as 100 percent fact and to always be willing to ask questions, do their own research and treat things with a critical eye and healthy / functional skepticism.

It's a lesson I had to learn for myself. I used to be very open about discussing things, especially conspiracy theory and learned over time, the hard way not to waste my efforts anymore. I'm a lot more choosy about whom to and when to speak up and even then take a very conservative approach.

This same attitude has also proven useful in separating out the BS in conspiracy and alternative news. You have to learn that even well intentioned sources can be duped and that some don't bother to do any research of their own at all, they will accept and preach just about anything that fits their own agenda (Alex Jones).

Before written books were common, computers and iPhones kids were taught how to memorize large amounts of information easily since most knowledge was passed by word of mouth. They were also taught to pay attention and remember the lessons adults would give, usually only one time during the course of daily activities. Teaching memorization techniques to kids along with the added data management of modern society can make them very formidable scholars. So, even if you can't teach them to love reading and research you can at least teach them to absorb things easily when needed.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I'm 15 years old (16 soon) and have been interested in conspiracies for about a year. I'd say the best thing you can do about your daughter is tell her to be open with you and that you will not judge her. I'm fairly open about most conspiracies with my parents and they don't really care. Occasionally they get a little worried when I talk about potential suppressed cancer cures and similar stuff. However, they know weird corruption is happening in the world. They just don't know exactly how.

Summary: Let her be open to you so she will trust you and you will know what she is up to. There is no need to be worried. There is corruption in the world and she is just seeing the beginning.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Piper96

haha aww she was too young to fully understand. Teens are at a sensitive age. Some may be able to take it. But she sounds sensitive . Tell her " Its all nonsense" let her just know that you dont approve of some things, but that mostly the mainstream is harmless. Which it is. I mean it isnt going to hurt her to join in abit with what her peers get up to. She will learn when shes abit maturer, maybe 19yrs old. But dont force her with your views.

Then again it might be better that she knows. At least then she wont fall for half the nonsense they try to sell teens. But she doesnt sound that mature. So id maybe just tone it down abit for her.
edit on 5-2-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I hadn't had a chance to update yesterday as to what happened when I sat down with my daughter, and I wanted to make sure I did so... Honestly I'm VERY surprised at some of what she told me. First of all, I wanted to clarify again, that I wasn't judging her or taking her computer away as a punishment when i did so. I only took it away for the weekend to give her a breather from the videos that she seemed to be watching CONSTANTLY and give her some time to go do some things with her friends. I told her that when I gave it back to her and she understood so thankfully that one didn't backfire!!! Lol
Anyways... We sat down for a few hours on Monday evening and talked. I watched a couple of the videos with her, and then we looked up some symbolism as well as ordered some books on the subject that might be a little more unbiased. She explained to me that she wasn't afraid, but that it was something that she thought was more sick (in a demented way) and that she was grossed out by the brainwashing of society.
I have to admit, I was kinda floored. Her reasoning and thought processes were much more mature than I could have ever even begun to have thought they would be. There was so much to our conversation that it would take forever... But that's not the craziest part of what I learned...
So about an hour into our conversation my middle son (he's 14) gets home from wrestling practice. He asks us what we're doing. I'm prepared to just tell him to move on... That we're just having mom/daughter time, but no... My son sees it and chimes right in... Seems to know just as much as my daughter. They get to talking, and neither of them knew that the OTHER one knew. Apparently EVERYONE at their schools are talking about it. (My son is in the Jr high and my daughter is at the Sr high.)
Links are being sent through twitter and facebook, kids are informing each other here. I don't know if this is something that is just happening in my kids' school district, my town, or if this is something that is starting to happen everywhere.
And this isn't just "outcast" kids talking. My daughter is more independent and runs with a smaller set of friends, but my son is very athletic, and popular... He knows almost everyone.
I don't think all the kids are turning off the t.v. Like my daughter is, but to me it kinda says something if the youth is starting to see these things.
My kids and I have decided to have some "conspiracy time " this weekend and talk about it more then
it's kinda cracking me up a little. SO glad I decided to discuss this with her instead of discouraging her curiosity!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I apologize if this is offensive to you in any way OP but dont you think thats a bit too much for her? I mean in an an obsessive way? I learned of them around 15-16 as well but I kept with my daily ife. Its okay for her to ask questions but I think you need to help her because this has a chance of not ending well

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
It's painful sometimes.

When a youg ewe wakes up.

And sees the wolves green eyes at night.

Tell her to graze in the green grass and enjoy the sun.

While keeping both eyes open. To stay balanced.
edit on 7-2-2013 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Piper96

The best thing you can do for your daughter is to be there for her at all times. More questions are coming so just be sure she knows that you're available day and night and she can come to you for anything at anytime. Sounds like she's at the point where she needs that, so don't do anything on your part to drive a wedge between you two. Taking her computer away won't solve anything except distance herself from you and you don't want that. Not at this stage in her life.

It's obvious that she has a lot of questions, and that's good. Help her. Get on her level when she starts talking about stuff like the Illuminati and ask HER questions about why she believes what she does. Questioning things and other people doesn't really mean much if you're not able to question yourself first, so hold her against that fire. Gently of course, but force the issue.

Don't shoot her theories down. If she believes something you don't take that as an opportunity for open communication. Don't come charging out of the gate saying "You're wrong". All that's going to do is start an argument. Talk to her and find out why she believes she's right. She doesn't have the maturity level yet to understand how this type of positive reinforcement works, but you should. Use it for the benefit of both of you because if you keep everything on a positive tip right now, she's going to remember that and you'll be able to take your relationship with her to a better level.

In short, this isn't really about whether your daughter is going to be mainstream or an outcast. This is about your daughter growing in a very important way and you, the parent, being there for her to help her along the way. This is about you doing your job.

I hope this helps.

Just read your last entry. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe she IS mature beyond her years. What you're doing a good thing.

edit on 8-2-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join